cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disabling dhcp, and going into bridged mode

msoulier
I've been here awhile

So, I just got my brand-spanking new modem which, for...reasons, requires an android app to access advanced settings. Once I found the advanced settings, buried in the wifi settings for more...reasons...I notice that there's no option to disable dhcp. I have my own access point, dhcp server, etc, and I do not want to use the ones built into it. How would I disable dhcp and wifi?

Also, as some point, I'd like to put it into bridged mode and use my own gateway. Any chance that this is simple? I really hate the state of these dumbed-down router UIs today, especially ones requiring a smartphone. Bad decision, IMHO. 

Thanks in advance. Go Rogers, for assuming that I am a very limited simpleton of a user. I really appreciate that. 

**Labels Updated**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: disabling dhcp, and going into bridged mode

@msoulier just to add, if you do happen to use the 10.0.0.0/24 address space for your own network, then you can change the modems LAN IP address and its DHCP range prior to kicking the modem into Bridge mode.  The modem will continue to use your specified LAN IP address as the login address when its in Bridge mode.   So, if you happen to use 10.0.0.X for your own network, reset the modem LAN IP address to something like 192.168.0.1 before kicking it into Bridge mode.

So, to review:

1.  You do not need to use the app to login into the modem to kick it into Bridge mode
  2. Start the modem.  It should start in its default Gateway mode.  Use 10.0.0.1, over an ethernet connection direct to the modem to start the setup process … follow the bouncing ball, so to speak.
  3. The initial setup routine should log you out of the modem.  Log back in using 10.0.0.1, user name is Admin,  password is the password.  The password routine should force you to change the password right away.  You’ll probably be kicked out again. 
  4. Log back in and if you prefer, disable the wifi and change the LAN IP address and DHCP range if you need to.  The Wifi disable function is located in Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi > Edit 2.4 GhZ and Edit 5 Ghz.  The LAN address and DHCP range is located in Gateway > Connection > Local IP Configuration.
  5. When everything is done, enable bridge mode.  That is located in Gateway > At a Glance.  The modem will reboot into Bridge mode.

If all else fails and you can’t get back into the modem for some reason, you can always run a factory reset using the WPS/ Restart / Factory Reset button at the back of the modem.  Hold the button down for at least thirty seconds and then release it.  The modem will start a Factory Reset, after which you can use the same routine to get back into the modem.  With a minimum setup over ethernet from day one, using a Factory Reset & ethernet setup later on doesn’t take very long.  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Ignite Gateways DO have a bridge mode.  To enable it, log into the gateway with a web browser (the default Username and Password is admin and password) and you will see a button to enable Bridge Mode.

Rogers will not officially support any configuration where you run on your own equipment so you will need to revert back to a Rogers-supported configuration if you should ever require tech support.

msoulier
I've been here awhile

Not sure how I missed that. So, if it goes into bridged mode, how would I access the web UI to undo that if I happen just break everything? 🙂 I'm assuming that it will no longer appear at layer 3 once in bridged mode. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@msoulier wrote:

Not sure how I missed that. So, if it goes into bridged mode, how would I access the web UI to undo that if I happen just break everything? 🙂 I'm assuming that it will no longer appear at layer 3 once in bridged mode. 

You can still log into the Gateway while it is in bridge mode, to check the cable modem's signal levels/error stats or to disable Bridge Mode if you should ever need to.  The Gateway intercepts traffic to 10.0.0.1 and routes it internally.  Obviously, this will not work if you also use the 10.0.0.0/24 address space on your router's internal LAN or if your router's firewall does not allow traffic to RFC 1918 addresses over its WAN interface.

(If you must use the 10.0.0.0/24 address space on your router's Internal LAN, there are additional configuration steps that you can take to accommodate this but the directions for getting all this set up are a bit complicated.)

@msoulier just to add, if you do happen to use the 10.0.0.0/24 address space for your own network, then you can change the modems LAN IP address and its DHCP range prior to kicking the modem into Bridge mode.  The modem will continue to use your specified LAN IP address as the login address when its in Bridge mode.   So, if you happen to use 10.0.0.X for your own network, reset the modem LAN IP address to something like 192.168.0.1 before kicking it into Bridge mode.

So, to review:

1.  You do not need to use the app to login into the modem to kick it into Bridge mode
  2. Start the modem.  It should start in its default Gateway mode.  Use 10.0.0.1, over an ethernet connection direct to the modem to start the setup process … follow the bouncing ball, so to speak.
  3. The initial setup routine should log you out of the modem.  Log back in using 10.0.0.1, user name is Admin,  password is the password.  The password routine should force you to change the password right away.  You’ll probably be kicked out again. 
  4. Log back in and if you prefer, disable the wifi and change the LAN IP address and DHCP range if you need to.  The Wifi disable function is located in Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi > Edit 2.4 GhZ and Edit 5 Ghz.  The LAN address and DHCP range is located in Gateway > Connection > Local IP Configuration.
  5. When everything is done, enable bridge mode.  That is located in Gateway > At a Glance.  The modem will reboot into Bridge mode.

If all else fails and you can’t get back into the modem for some reason, you can always run a factory reset using the WPS/ Restart / Factory Reset button at the back of the modem.  Hold the button down for at least thirty seconds and then release it.  The modem will start a Factory Reset, after which you can use the same routine to get back into the modem.  With a minimum setup over ethernet from day one, using a Factory Reset & ethernet setup later on doesn’t take very long.  

msoulier
I've been here awhile

Ok, great. I use 192.168.0/24, so having it on 10/8 is just fine. 

msoulier
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the summary. Slightly different as I'm set up already, so fewer steps now to jump into bridged mode. Must temporarily put a head on my headless mini pc acting as my gateway, now running linux. I want to use my Pi-Hole for DNS and DHCP too, so if I can restrict the modem to 10/8 that sounds perfect. 

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 in conversation