cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bypass the XB7

MRobi1
I've been here awhile

Just got hooked up today with the GPON 1.5gbps symmetrical service. Coming over from Bell's FTTH service. 

With Bell, I had fully bypassed the HH3000 and used all of my own hardware (Ubiquiti Unifi), looking to do the same here.

For hardware I'm using:

Unifi UDM Pro (has 2 WAN ports. 1x 1gbps rj45, 1x 10GbE sfp+)

Unifi US-16-XG

Multiple Unifi AP's

My inbound fiber connection goes into the Nokia ONT. The ethernet cable then plugged in to the 2.5gbps port on the XB7. If I set the XB7 into bridge mode, the 2.5gbps port is already in use so I'm forced to use one of the 1gbps ports. That defeats the purpose of having 1.5gbps since I'll be hardware limited by the port on the XB7.

With Bell, I ran the inbound fiber connection into my US-16-XG synced at 2.5gbps, then through another port I sent it to the UDMP's 10gbps Wan2 sfp+ port. I figured I could do the same with Rogers and bypass both the XB7 and the Nokia device but this just didn't work. I created a VLAN Only profile, set the inbound port to sync @ 2.5gbps but the UDMP just would not receive an external IP address at all.

So next I plugged the fiber cable back into the Nokia ONT and tried plugging the ethernet into one of the 10GbE rj45 ports on the US-16-XG and using the same SFP+ port to send that up to the UDMP's Wan2. Both the Nokia and the US-16-XG indicate 10GbE and the data lights blink like crazy. The UDMP receives the proper external IP and shows connected in the UI. But I get absolutely no internet connectivity. I can't run a speedtest through the UI, I can't browse. Nothing at all.

Now if I take the cat6 from the Nokia and plug it into the wan1 port on the UDMP everything just works perfectly. I get an IP, I can freely browse the web. The catch is, it's a 1gbps port. I've successfully bypassed the XB7 this way, but I'm speed limited by the port.

Has anybody managed to successfully bypass the XB7 with a UDMP and get full speeds?

*Added Labels*

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Bypass the XB7

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MRobi1 that Nokia ONT has a Gb/s ethernet port and a 10 Gb/s port, correct?  Assuming that it does, I believe that you should be able to connect the ONT's 10 Gb/s port directly to the UDM Pro 10GbE sfp+.  You shouldn't have to use the US-16-XG as an intermediary device. 

Whenever you make a change to the physical connection with the Nokia ONT, restart the ONT so that it negotiates the correct speed with the connected port. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MRobi1   The Nokia ONT has a 1 GigE port and a 10 GigE port. If you only have Ignite Internet and no other Ignite services, you don't really need the XB7.

Do you have a 10 GigE SFP+ transceiver?  If so, use that to connect your UDM Pro's 10G WAN port directly to the Nokia ONT.

MRobi1
I've been here awhile

It's a Nokia XS-010X-Q

(Removed link, please use camera icon to post images to the community. - RogersTony)

It's smaller than some of the other Nokia images I've seen used. There's only a single ethernet port, but it is for sure a 10GbE port.

I'm considering ordering something like a UF-RJ45-10G which is essentially an RJ45 to SFP+ adaptor so I can plug directly into the UDMP's 10GbE SFP+ Wan2 port. 

I woke up this morning and decided to give it another try. Set the RJ45 port on the US-16-XG as tagged and the SFP+ port feeding the Wan as untagged. Couldn't get an IP. Changed the RJ45 port back to untagged, IP popped up immediately and suddenly everything was working. I don't know how or why but I've rebooted everything a few times and it's staying stable.

The speedtest on the UDMP shows 80mbit up and down. If I plug in to one of the 1Gbps ports and run a speedtest on my laptop I can saturate it at 960Mbps. And then my server which is wired in at 10GbE...

Doesn't get any better than this!!speedtest.jpg

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MRobi1 wrote:

I woke up this morning and decided to give it another try. Set the RJ45 port on the US-16-XG as tagged and the SFP+ port feeding the Wan as untagged. Couldn't get an IP. Changed the RJ45 port back to untagged, IP popped up immediately and suddenly everything was working. I don't know how or why but I've rebooted everything a few times and it's staying stable.

Yes.  You do not want to have VLANs tagged or enabled on the WAN network path.

Also, double-check that you do not have SQM or "Smart Queues" enabled on any of your UDM Pro's interfaces because that will also significantly drop your throughput.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation