cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XB6 Modem Settings/Requests/Firmware Discussion

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Hey guys, I noticed we don't have a dedicated thread on the XB6 modem like the Hitrons. I'm making this thread so we can talk about the various settings and requests for future changes through firmware updates. For me the biggest issues with the modem is we cannot block specific devices from internet access and we cannot use custom DNS servers.

With the Hitrons we could use a custom DNS without issues, and if we bridge the modem we can also use a custom DNS so I don't see why we aren't given the option with the XB6. The Xi6 boxes don't require using Rogers DNS since in bridge mode they are using whatever DNS the user has specified. For security and privacy reasons it's nice being able to choose whatever DNS server we want, and also being able to block devices like personal NAS and IoT from network access.

I know everyone is going to say put the XB6 in bridge mode and problem solved, however besides these two issues my XB6 isn't that bad. The range and speed suits my needs so why should I buy another $200-$300 router just so I can use a custom DNS and block some devices from the internet. Hopefully Rogers listens to our feedback and gives us more control like on the Hitrons.

***EDITED LABELS***

192 REPLIES 192

Re: XB6 Modem Settings/Requests/Firmware Discussion

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Hmm, you are correct, I misread my previous. That is interesting.

smoraes
I've been here awhile

i have firmware version cgm4140com_4.6p8s1_prod_sey

kibosh
I plan to stick around
And I am still on CGM4140COM_4.4p8s1_PROD_sey and have been for some time. I seem to only receive firmware that have been deemed stable for some time.

I guess the newer version with the reservation issues was easier to downgrade.

kibosh
I plan to stick around

And last night I received CGM4140COM_4.4p10s2_PROD_sey . . . way behind what some others are reporting here.

user216432
I've been around

I want to thank everyone on this forum for documenting various issues with the XB6 after spending too long on the phone with a technical support representative who had no idea of any of the issues described here with the XB6.

I will add my vote to what was proposed by others before.

1. A way to completely disable Wi-Fi

2. In bridge mode for everything not absolutely required to be turned off and for the fan to always be off

3. Allow us to use the Technicolor TC4400

The current state of the XB6 should be made illegal by regulations and is the poster child of a badly behaving device. Would all connected device in a home behave like the XB6 it would be at best very inefficient.

#3 is especially disappointing because resellers allow the basic TC4400 on Rogers own network.

This latest "upgrade" to the XB6 is not enough for me to cancel my service but, in 11 months at renewal times it will feature prominently in the "cons" column and if price is competitive would be enough for me to switch. In my view Rogers has 11 months to fix these issues.

When users are considering cracking open their hardware to fix their device, it should be clear that at the very least for some users it does not adequately meet their requirements. A simple device like the TC4400 should always be an options for those who prefer or require such setup.

Mayoo
I plan to stick around

Got this now 

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_19.3_d31 & Prod_19.3
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.6p9s1_PROD_sey
Advanced Services:CGM4140COM
Packet Cable:2.0

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

I do not know when I got this, but I have:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_19.3_d31 & Prod_19.3
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.6p12s1_PROD_sey

Someone on DSL Reports had this:

CGM4140COM_4.8p8s1_PROD_sey

But had the modem replaced and it only updated to the same as I have.  

PeteyGee
I've been here awhile

Just in case some users here are aware, i found the issue and posted the answer in two other less popular posts.

I am reposting here to make sure anyone subscribed to only this post gets the info:

Turns out you need to add a word (any single word) in the comment box before saving your reserved IP and then resetting the device's wifi or doing an ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew on a windows PC.    I'm on XB7 but Don_Ca said this also worked on XB6 in the other post.

Hope this helps.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Yes, for those that want to reserve an IP in the DHCP, you need to add a comment.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

This morning I have this:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_19.3_d31 & Prod_19.3
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.8p9s1_PROD_sey

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Can Rogers release a firmware that gives us back control of WiFi settings (Channels, Width, etc.)

I have older devices that are having trouble staying connected when the Modem is in control of the Channels. I do not have Pods or use any Rogers apps, I just want all my WiFi devices to work like before when I had control of the settings.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se wrote:

Can Rogers release a firmware that gives us back control of WiFi settings (Channels, Width, etc.)

I have older devices that are having trouble staying connected when the Modem is in control of the Channels. I do not have Pods or use any Rogers apps, I just want all my WiFi devices to work like before when I had control of the settings.

The problem isn't the firmware.  The problem is that Rogers has enabled the Ignite WiFi Hub on your account and that has basically taken over management of the WiFi settings on your Ignite gateway.  Since you don't have Pods installed, you should be able to make changes using the WiFi Hub mobile app or by logging into ignitewifi.rogers.com

That said, tech support should still be able to disable the WiFi Hub permanently.  If the Level-1 tech cannot, ask to speak to a manager or supervisor.  Don't take "No" for an answer, especially since you know that you have had it disabled before.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@-G- wrote:

@gp-se wrote:

The problem isn't the firmware.  The problem is that Rogers has enabled the Ignite WiFi Hub on your account and that has basically taken over management of the WiFi settings on your Ignite gateway.  Since you don't have Pods installed, you should be able to make changes using the WiFi Hub mobile app or by logging into ignitewifi.rogers.com

That said, tech support should still be able to disable the WiFi Hub permanently.  If the Level-1 tech cannot, ask to speak to a manager or supervisor.  Don't take "No" for an answer, especially since you know that you have had it disabled before.

@-G- 

In the past on my personal account I tried reaching out to Rogers about disabling the WiFi Hub from the back end and was told they cannot do that. This option of Rogers controlling the WiFi automatically did start with the more recent firmware, so that's why I think it's a firmware change that brought this. Rogers needs to understand that real world usage is different than what they do in the testing lab. Not all devices will connect or maintain connection when WiFi channels, widths, etc. are being constantly changed.

Some users know what's best for the equipment in their specific environment. At least give us on option for Automatically controlled, or Manual control so the more advanced users can optimize the equipment to the specific network environment. We don't all want to spend $200 on a stand alone router regain features we had before a firmware change!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se  I'm 99% sure that the Rogers agent you spoke with was either misinformed or not entirely truthful when they say that they can't disable the Ignite WiFi Hub.  I think it is more likely that they won't disable it, for whatever reason, but I can't fathom what that reason could be.

As far as I know, Comcast is not mandating the use of their xFi app, and their support site provides directions on how to change WiFi settings using both Xfinity xFi and the gateway's local Admin Tool.

As far as I am concerned, the only reason for requiring the Ignite WiFi Hub is for adding/managing Pods.

Many love the idea of "cloud management" for their devices, since it enables them manage their home network from anywhere.  However, not everybody feels that way.  Some do not trust cloud-based management.  Some prefer the local Admin Tool and want the ability to manage their devices directly.  Some find that the Ignite WiFi Hub causes problems or that they lose access to some settings.

@CommunityHelps  Could you please tell us how we can regain local control of our Ignite gateways and what we need to do to get the Ignite WiFi Hub disabled on our accounts permanently?  (Apparently, logging out of the WiFi Hub mobile and web apps and factory resetting the gateway no longer works.)  If this is no longer possible, could you provide us with an explanation as to why Rogers is forcing its use even when it is not wanted or required?

Thanks!

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

I finally have a firmware update (happened a week ago)

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_20.2_d31 & Prod_20.2
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.10p6s3_PROD_sey

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
I got this version a week ago:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_20.2_d31 & Prod_20.2
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.11p4s1_PROD_sey

vulture
I plan to stick around

Hi everyone,

Have a XB6 (I believe) router at home provided with my ignite service.

I have noticed that the configuration is locked and can only run on Automatic and Channel 157 with up to 80mhz bandwidth.

I have devices that can benefit from 160mhz bandwidth and it would be great to have freedom to be able to select DFS channels and enable 160mhz options.

TIA

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Yes, you will find that if you use Pods, or use the phone app to configure the modem.

CSNBhome
I've been around

Just checking... today I see that mine is running firmware CGM4140COM_4.11p7s1_PROD_sey 

but I had noticed a post from July 2020 that there was plans for a 4.20 release pending. 

Wondering when we are going to see an update. Connectivity for the past few weeks has been sketchy, even when in the same room. Even the Rogers TV boxes have been flakey. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CSNBhome wrote:

Just checking... today I see that mine is running firmware CGM4140COM_4.11p7s1_PROD_sey 

but I had noticed a post from July 2020 that there was plans for a 4.20 release pending.  

FYI, I'm still running

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: Prod_20.2_d31 & Prod_20.2
Software Image Name: CGM4140COM_4.11p7s1_PROD_sey
Advanced Services: CGM4140COM
Packet Cable: 2.0

Can you post a link to the post that you were referring to?  I'm not aware of any newer pending firmware.

Wondering when we are going to see an update. Connectivity for the past few weeks has been sketchy, even when in the same room. Even the Rogers TV boxes have been flakey. 

Others in my family have experienced similar issues with their Technicolor XB6 and XB7 gateways, and the problems clear after power-cycling the gateway.

The next time that you see these problems, do not reboot the Ignite gateway.  Take note of the time and send a private message to @CommunityHelps .  They can arrange to run additional tests that the telephone Tech Support teams do not have access to.

Mayoo
I plan to stick around

Swapped my modem for constant Solid white turning into flashing other colors 

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_21.1_d31 & Prod_21.1
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.14p18s1_PROD_sey
Topic Stats