cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this Hub in my Apartment Building

Qubit
I plan to stick around

Hello,

I am having problems of low upload speed with my rogers ignite 1Gb (getting around 10 to 15 Mbps) and the tech recently diagnosed that there is no problem in my hardware or my apartment cables. (and ecalated the issue and I honestly have no idea how it will go). However, in doing so, we access the utility room and I saw this, and I have. few quesitons for the local experts:

Untitled.jpg

What is this hub? how does it work? what are the different numbers on it? are there some spots better than others?

I am really curious and I would love to know more about this kind of cable hub! Thanks so much in advance!!

*** Edited Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: What is this Hub in my Apartment Building

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Qubit wrote:

Hello,

I am having problems of low upload speed with my rogers ignite 1Gb (getting around 10 to 15 Mbps) and the tech recently diagnosed that there is no problem in my hardware or my apartment cables. (and ecalated the issue and I honestly have no idea how it will go). However, in doing so, we access the utility room and I saw this, and I have. few quesitons for the local experts:

Untitled.jpg

What is this hub? how does it work? what are the different numbers on it? are there some spots better than others?

I am really curious and I would love to know more about this kind of cable hub! Thanks so much in advance!!

*** Edited Labels ***

This is the Networking Closet.

Basically the thick wire is called Hardline, it comes from the Headend into your building, goes into the networking closets, and from there it is split into multiple taps which goes to each unit on your floor. 

This is pretty much the same as those green cabinets on your lawn, not the hydro box but the tall green ones that the techs sometimes forget to lock and leave open  and you see multiple coax wires dangling out, those go to every house, same principal. so they have your unit number or house civic number on the cable to identify the wire going to your house. thats it,.  nothing special here, it is just how cable works. I learned about this when I was like 16 years old

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Qubit wrote:

Hello,

Untitled.jpg

*** Edited Labels ***

This is the Networking Closet.

Basically the thick wire is called Hardline, it comes from the Headend into your building, goes into the networking closets, and from there it is split into multiple taps which goes to each unit on your floor. 

This is pretty much the same as those green cabinets on your lawn, not the hydro box but the tall green ones that the techs sometimes forget to lock and leave open  and you see multiple coax wires dangling out, those go to every house, same principal. so they have your unit number or house civic number on the cable to identify the wire going to your house. thats it,.  nothing special here, it is just how cable works. I learned about this when I was like 16 years old

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Those taps that the cables are connected to don't last forever.  There is always the possibility that you're connected to a bad port.  Possibly all it might take is a switch to another port, or a port on another tap to resolve the problem.  If that's the case, then that tap should probably be replaced.  Although these are protected from the weather, like anything else, they won't last forever. 

Qubit
I plan to stick around

The technician actually tested several of the plugs with the same result. Someone at Rogers tech support told me that there are known issues with the upload speed introduced  on firmware 2.0.10.36T4 (current one)  for the CODA router. Does anyone konw if this is true? it woudl certainly explain the coincidence in time with my issues...

hiho
I'm a regular

hmmm you may want to check on that cause i had a peek at mine and its   2.0.10.36T5 not sure when i got the update but i think its been a while

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation