cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAN dropping for 1 minute each day

automaton
I plan to stick around

Long ago I had intermittent connection issues with Rogers. My old thread is here:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Internet-goes-down-for-5-minutes-once-to-twice-a-day/...

Since then I moved, and for almost 2 years I've had no issues. Last week, with no changes on my end, I've begun to get intermittent disconnects of the WAN (LAN stays up) through the day. It's usually 1-2 times, and almost always it's after I wake up and begin to use the internet. Sometimes it's also when heavy streaming is taking place (i.e. YouTube on 1 device, and Netflix on another).

When the internet is mostly idle (i.e. overnight) it's fine. But as soon as I wake up and start to put a load on it, the WAN goes down for 1 minute or so. Here's the DOCSIS log (from this morning's disconnect):

It's a Hitron CGN3ACR modem:

Hardware Version 1A
Software Version 4.5.8.40

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

***EDITED LABELS***

28 REPLIES 28

Re: WAN dropping for 1 minute each day

fg.png

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lostcat wrote:

Thank you for the comments @-G- 

Some more info from the FortiGate Firewall showing some DHCP Server info before the internet drops.

I don't know the FortiGate Firewall but I don't see anything unusual here in your log, at least not from a DHCP perspective.  Your WAN interface would drop if the DHCP T2 timer had expired and you received a DHCPNAK in response to your DHCPREQUEST.  We don't even have an issue with the DHCP server not responding.  You are getting DHCPACK messages from the server (presumably) in response to DHCPREQUEST packets that you sent, which is good, and it looks like your DHCP lease renewed.

Do you also see these drops with the XB7 gateway?

lostcat
I'm here a lot

good morning @-G- 

yes, same issue with the XB7. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lostcat wrote:

good morning @-G- 

yes, same issue with the XB7. 

Good morning!  Do you have both the XB7 and your Fortinet firewall connected to the ONT?  If so, do you still experience drops with just the XB7 connected?

lostcat
I'm here a lot

Hello, 

I can't bridge the XB7 due to the ONT.

The way I have my configuration is below 

Fiber > ONT > XB7 = same issue

Fiber > ONT > FortiGate >same issue  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lostcat wrote:

Hello, 

I can't bridge the XB7 due to the ONT.

The way I have my configuration is below 

Fiber > ONT > XB7 = same issue

Fiber > ONT > FortiGate >same issue  

Yes, I know that Ethernet WAN mode requires you to disable Bridge Mode on the Ignite gateway.  And I know that the Nokia ONT has both a GigE and 10GigE ports.  However, what I don't know is whether or not Rogers will allow you to have two devices connected.  If they do not, then that may be why both are getting booted from the network.

You need to test if your connection remains stable with just the XB7 connected.

lostcat
I'm here a lot

Hello, 

I have tried using the XB7 for a week straight, and lo and behold same issue:( 

I have two tickets open with Rogers in hopes this gets resolved or I'll have no choice but to move away and wait till the network is stable in my area. 

It's really hard working remote and on meetings 

Thank you for your guidance @-G- 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lostcat wrote:

I have tried using the XB7 for a week straight, and lo and behold same issue:( 

I have two tickets open with Rogers in hopes this gets resolved or I'll have no choice but to move away and wait till the network is stable in my area. 

It's really hard working remote and on meetings 

Thank you for your guidance @-G- 

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.  I don't have the FTTH service yet, and I don't know the FortiGate well enough to suggest any troubleshooting tips at this time.  Unfortunately, the Ignite gateways don't provide any useful troubleshooting tools whatsoever either.  However, it is possible that your XB7 may have logged something helpful in "Troubleshooting > Logs"

Best of luck with getting this resolved and please keep us posted with any news.

Topic Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 10 in conversation