cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Rogers email account in Outlook

E-SK
I plan to stick around

Hi - When will it be possible to add Rogers' email account to Outlook? If I can add a Yahoo email account, why is it impossible to add Rogers?

*Your insight is appreciated.

**Labels Added**

111 REPLIES 111

Re: Using Rogers email account in Outlook

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MasterC wrote:
It's a rogers issue as it's not only outlook with the issues. Also Mac is email doesn't work.

Partly true, however, I have created a summary post in the link below:  The latest subscription version of Outlook (Outlook 365 or MS365 with Outlook) does work (In new (IMAP), not legacy mode).  Thunderbird for PC also works, but not with Mac.  Mac e-mail client doesn't work, but all the ones that don't work are the ones that do not comply with the latest security as mentioned by @-G-  in the post above yours. 

So, it's up to you to have the latest version of an e-mail client that works, or perhaps open a Gmail account and "fetch" (Settings - All Settings - Accounts & Import) your e-mails to it from Rogers/Yahoo!  Almost any e-mail client will work with Gmail, however, that may end in the future.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/524346/highlight/true#M...

Also as mentioned by @-G- here's the FAQ regarding Rogers/Yahoo! emails which hints at the end.

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/rogers-yahoo-mail-change-faq

@B-a-n-e : It is possible to "copy" your app PW from your old computer.  You'll need to search the web for the instructions for your specific computer, OS, e-mail client, etc.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MasterC wrote:
It's a rogers issue as it's not only outlook with the issues. Also Mac is email doesn't work.

No, it a problem with certain email clients not being able to authenticate using OAuth2.

Mail.app on macOS tries to make things easy for users, provided that you are connecting to Microsoft Exchange, Google, Yahoo!, Aol or iCloud mail services.  However, If you cannot use any of those (I don't know whether Yahoo! will work with a Rogers.com email address), there is an "Other" option, but if that cannot connect to your email service either, you are pretty much out of luck.

For now, I am stuck using Thunderbird 128 to access my Outlook accounts, and am hoping that Mail.app in macOS Sequoia will be slightly less brain-damaged.

B-a-n-e
I plan to stick around

Hi. Thanks. Any suggestions on search terms? The ones I've tried generate a lot of results but nothing that's actually on point. I was using Windows 11, Outlook 365 with POP3 accounts (not the "new" outlook). 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@B-a-n-e : If you're paying for the subscription version of Outlook 365, then it will work with Rogers/Yahoo! emails, however, you will need to use the "new" version (you can switch between old and new). The new version will be IMAP, not POP and you'll be able to use your regular password instead of the App PW.  If you have difficulty, contact Microsoft, or visit their website for instructions.

B-a-n-e
I plan to stick around

Thanks. I have both the old and new versions setup using IMAP. But I want to use POP on the "not new" version since it offers a unified inbox. I find that very handy. I also don't want to install yet another product like Thunderbird. My previous POP 3 email accounts continued to work fine on my old computer. I have my old PST file on my new system, which connects fine. But I still had to set-up my accounts again. In doing so with POP it asks for a password, which I think is the generated pw since I get an error using my actual pw. 

So, I would like to access my existing generated pw's if possible, since they were still functional. I've done some searching online to see if there is a way to pull them from the PST file with no luck (lots of results but nothing that answers this question). You suggested it was possible, so I was wondering if you had any suggestions for how to find the answer. If not that's fine, but it seemed like you might. 

Thanks,

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@B-a-n-e :

1. Here's a link that I found previously.  Hope it helps:

https://support.tigertech.net/find-email-password-outlook-windows

2. If you have Outlook 365 working in IMAP in the "new" version, can you not switch back (and forth) to the "old" version to see your unified inbox? I believe this is an option within Outlook.  It works that way in MS365 for Mac, although I still have my app PW's working with my 2 POP3 e-mail accounts, so this may not be possible once I go to IMAP. In Mac it's called "new" and "legacy". I'm not sure what it's called in PCs.

B-a-n-e
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the accounts are now IMAP so it doesn't let me see the passwords associated with my old POP3 accounts, even though the info is presumably buried in the PST file somewhere. 

I'm not sure if it would let me switch between IMAP and POP3, but to try that out I would need to be able to install my POP3 accounts. There is no automated way to do that (just IMAP) and the manual install fails at the end - I think because the password it wants is the generated pw not my actual pw. That's why I was trying to find a way to pull my existing generated passwords.

While a unified inbox would be very nice, I think I've reached the end of my journey to try to get that to work. Between Rogers, Outlook, and my switching to a new computer, I think I'm stuck with having to put my inboxes under favourites and checking each. All in all a very first world problem...

Topic Stats