cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Rogers email account in Outlook

E-SK
I plan to stick around

Hi - When will it be possible to add Rogers' email account to Outlook? If I can add a Yahoo email account, why is it impossible to add Rogers?

*Your insight is appreciated.

**Labels Added**

95 REPLIES 95

Re: Using Rogers email account in Outlook

josk
I plan to stick around

I think bugging Rogers does not help .. wondering if this can be brought to the attention of Tor Star? ridiculous that we are stuck for months - and yet paying approx $150+ monthly! without an end in sight!

DWEnstrom
I've been here awhile

This is incredibly frustrating. It works on multiple Android devices, but I cannot get Outlook to work with Rogers. Definitely transitioning to Gmail ... but perhaps this is what Rogers actually want us to do. PATHETIC!

danno100
I plan to stick around

I even emailed their customer support address that comes on your bill each month..think I got a response??

I bet they would call if I din't pay my bill!!!

josk
I plan to stick around

Have been in limbo since May - have a newer laptop and not able to move my Outlook to my newer laptop, and still struggling with my old laptop - hopefully it will not black out on me before I can move to my newer one!

This is stressing me out! 

Avid-
I plan to stick around

Hi Josk.  I feel your pain.  I still have issues with the Outlook vs. Rogers battle.  If you haven't yet, you might make a copy of any messages you consider important and want to ensure they are available to Outlook.  Export those messages using your older computer.  Put them on external storage such as a thumb drive.  You will then be able to import them as needed, or just open the saved PST file containing those messages.  If your old computer dies, outlook.com is still available, albeit not as convenient as the desktop app.  Yahoo also retains copies of your messages.

Good luck

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@josk wrote:

Have been in limbo since May - have a newer laptop and not able to move my Outlook to my newer laptop, 

If your Outlook is still working on the old Laptop it should also work on the new one if you move the entire Outlook to the new laptop.  Another option may be to set up Outlook on your new laptop and copy the app password from your old account settings to your new account settings.

PS. I purchased a new Mac Mini M2 earlier this year and was able to move everything from my previous Mac Mini to my new one by doing a complete backup to a hard drive and then doing a "restore" from that drive to the new Mac Mini M2.  That kept my settings and my app PW intact. Unfortunately, the app PW did not make it through this process on my Wife's account on the same computer, but she doesn't e-mail much and doesn't mind using Webmail.  Had it been a problem for her, I would have fired up the old computer and copied the app PW.

josk
I plan to stick around

hey .. I had actually went to Staples to check out what options they have in resolving this 'ROGERS' issue of transferring my Rogers Outlook to the newer laptop.  Staples suggested that I move all my emails in Rogers Outlook to a device/storage, and then transfer them to the newer laptop.  In this case, I believe it would be my own Rogers Outlook email --- but in the newer laptop?  Not sure if this is same as what you have done.  Am a little hesitant in this move -- am not at all tech savvy, and if I do make this move - I will have to have Staples do this work for me -- have not checked out if Staples would take on this job.

Meanwhile - I am hoping that ROGERS would be able to resolve their App password !!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@josk wrote:

...Staples suggested that I move all my emails in Rogers Outlook to a device/storage, and then transfer them to the newer laptop. 

That is not what I was saying, although that might get your "old" e-mails onto the new computer if they are not there. What needs to happen to avoid the app password issue is that all the settings in Outlook on your old computer - especially the app password - need to end up on the new computer. 

Moving only the e-mails would not help the situation.  If you still have the old computer, you (or someone tech savvy) should be able to open Outlook, copy the app PW from the settings and paste the app PW into the appropriate area of Outlook in your new computer.  I cannot describe exactly how this would be done because I'm on Mac, not Windows and the settings may vary depending on how you have things set up - POP, IMAP, etc.

Edit: In addition, the app PW is usually "hidden" or shown as "***********".  This has to be "un-hidden" using options in Outlook to unhide this information using the computer admin functionality.  On windows I believe there is a *PST file (or something similar) that is often quite large and contains all of your e-mails and appointments, etc.  This should have been "copied" to your new computer....

josk
I plan to stick around

I went to Staples for help (apparently, they are aware of Rogers not being able to move current Outlook to new laptop) and something interesting pops up.  I was advised by guy at Staples that I can set up my Rogers Outlook in new laptop, and move all my previous emails to a storage file (a kind of a box for storage from what he showed me) - and after set up in new laptop, I can then transfer the emails from this storage box back to the new Rogers Oulook set up in new laptop.  Do you suppose that this will work? Thanks.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@josk : That will probably work if all you want is access to your old e-mails (and appointments and contacts).  That's what I was mentioning in my previous post and used to be called a *PST file. Not sure if it still is. 

https://ca.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AwrhdbtTEUhlbp8sHaLqFAx.;_ylc=X1MDMjExNDcyMTAwMgRfcgMyBGZyA3...

If you want Outlook on a laptop or desktop to get your new e-mails, then that's a different story and still requires an app password as far as I know.  Perhaps the person at Staples can get new Outlook working to retrieve new e-mails without an app password - apparently some people have been able to do that using IMAP.

suttorbooth
I've been around

I have a similar problem with Mac email clients. I first encountered the problem over a year ago. I was able to get around it by switching to Thunderbird as a client. That no longer works. Very nice tech support says that it is a known problem but has no idea when or if it will be repaired.

I just filed a complaint with Rogers. https://www.rogers.com/contact/shareaconcern

If they don't resolve it there is a third party that I will use.

Ultimately, I will make a formal complaint to the CRTC. These are the people who license them.

I suggest that others do the same.

There is no way out of a Rogers account. You cannot forward email. You cannot combine Rogers email with gmail. You cannot even add a second Rogers email account to the Rogers - Yahoo browser client.

Let this come up at a public hearing.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@suttorbooth   A few comments.

1. The latest version of Outlook seems to work since it doesn't need an App PW.  See link below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/517930/highlight/true#M...

2. I believe that after you create a Gmail account you can import your Yahoo Rogers e-mails into Gmail from Gmail.

3. You'll want to complain to the CCTS, not CRTC, but don't expect anything to happen.  Very few people still use an e-mail client on a computer and those that do may not have been affected unless they "lost" their App PW. Most people use an app on their devices like a tablet or phone to e-mail, not requiring an App PW.

MasterC
I plan to stick around
They don't care. Contact the ombudsman

Not sure if anyone has found a resolution to this problem with getting Rogers email to work in Outlook or not...but I've been trying to resolve the issue like many of you who HATE "just use webmail" as the solution offered by Rogers.

I realize this is NOT going to solve the issue for everyone, but for any of you who might be like ME who simply upgraded to a new computer but still have access to the old one with a working outlook using a previously created App password and wanted to switch outlook to the new one, I stumbled across fix.

I could not understand why or how I could have Outlook working perfectly fine on my old system but there was nothing Rogers could do to even temporarily allow me proper access on my NEW computer until they come up with a solution to the App Password issue.  I tried and tried until finding this...

https://support.tigertech.net/find-email-password-outlook-windows

This allowed me to go onto my old system and instead of view the dots or *** in place of the previous created app password, I was able to actually view the password itself.  from there, I was able to create the account on the new system using the same password and VOILA!............your welcome!

@absolutedesignz .

1. Yes, the latest version of Outlook in MS365 works, as discussed in the following post:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/517930/highlight/true#M...

2. Yes, copying the App PW from a previous computer was also discussed in one of these App PW threads and some people used that option (can't find the particular post at this time).  As you stated, the only "trick" is getting Outlook to display the actual App PW so it can be copied, and that can be researched on the web depending on if you have a Mac or PC and the particular verions of Outlook.  (I'm not sure if that works for Thunderbird.)

Avid-
I plan to stick around

I am still unable to add any Rogers email accounts to Outlook for Android.  Microsoft and Gmail accounts have been added, but Rogers accounts can't be added.  The process allows me to input the email account username, but as soon as I try to add a password, I get errored out.  Same when trying user password and App password.

Suggestions are appreciated.

absolutedesignz
I've been here awhile

I'm using Outlook 2021...and while yes the "New" outlook that I can toggle to absolutely works with my rogers email account it is absolutely not something I will ever use unless they decide to get rid of the ads.  I have a PAID version of outlook and don't plan to switch to something with ads.........and I absolutely despise using webmail.  Perhaps I'm old school (or so the Rogers Techs have told me) in suggesting that "NOBODY uses e-mail clients anymore" lol.

I guess I'm going to be one of the last dinosaurs clinging on for dear life not liking the options being presented to me and trying to hang on to the "Good ol' days".

So at least temporarily I kinda sorta got  things working in the sense that at least it accepts my rogers email address into outlook now since copying over the old app-password...............now I just gotta figure out why I'm only seeing 12months worth of my emails in outlook when I have plenty more viewable in webmail.  Slider bar is set to "ALL" but still not showing up...grrrrr.  I've no doubt theres gotta be a better way to handle my emails than what I'm doing but seemingly without some kinda course and learning and entire new way to do things, I certainly haven't run across any that seem smooth and easy 😞

Avid-
I plan to stick around

Hi absolutedesignz.

PREVIEW
I agree re. web mail - it's not my preferred email app.  I'm stuck using the Yahoo email client app on my android phone.  (Help anyone?  I would like to be able to include my *@rogers.com email users on my phone with my Outlook 365 app.)  It is web based and they plug ads like crazy.  I am using MS 365 Outlook on my PCs with no issues.  I have off-loaded most of my emails (monthly) to *.pst files.  Those files are a few GB each.  I checked the max *.msg file size foe Outlook 2021.  MS says to keep it below 50 GB, so I'm guessing you are not hitting that cap.  Perhaps your Archive setting is limiting what you see in your *.msg file?  If that isn't the case you may have a sync issue between your Outlook 2021 client and the Rogers Yahoo mail servers.  Try logging into your Yahoo mail (web based) to review settings there also.  Good luck.

DWEnstrom
I've been here awhile

Just got it to work yesterday. Outlook 2021 asked if I wanted to login into Rogers Yahoo email. Followed the prompts/procedure (using my Rogers email and Member Centre Password) and it actually worked!!

ChristopherR
I plan to stick around

Temporarily. It asks every third or fourth time I turn on Outlook. So annoying. What a sham.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DWEnstrom : Were you operating Outlook 2021 in classic mode or in "new/Browser" mode to login without the App PW?  We are discussing this issue in the following thread and your input would be appreciated, here or better still in the other thread.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/521547/highlight/true#M...

Topic Stats