cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trade Hitron CGN3 for Hitron CODA-4582

RickyB
I've been here awhile

So over the last few months my Hitron CGN3 seems to be taking a dive.  I frequently need to reboot - up to 3 times daily now, and most times I can't even log into the router without first rebooting - I'm starting to get frustrated.  This has been progressively getting worse.  I have tried the full factory reset

What would I have to do to trade in my CGN3 for the newer CODA-4582?  I'm on the ignite 250u with unlimited plan - so I'm fairly certain that I qualify for the upgrade.  Can I just walk into the rogers store with my old modem and trade it in for a the new one?

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Trade Hitron CGN3 for Hitron CODA-4582

Ok, thats not too bad.  The downstream signal levels roll off above 700 Mhz faster than I would like to see, but, they're all in spec.  The signal to noise ratios are ok, but, drop slightly above 700Mhz with the roll-off.  You can see the levels start rolling off around 650 Mhz.  The upstream levels are ok as well.  

So, based on where those levels are now,  I wouldn't expect any problems.  I'm assuming that the modem is working now and your internet service is ok.  The next time that it fails, don't reboot or reset the modem.  Leave it as is and call tech support to run the signal check and attempt to communicate with the modem.  Doing that when the modem has failed is the best time to do it.  

At the end of the day, you can simply take the modem in and exchange it for the CODA-4582 which is a much better modem in terms of latency.  If you or a member of your family are  gamers, that should make a difference to your gaming.  If you swap the modem and still see the failures, then yes, you definitely have cable or connector issues.  There is always the chance that the modem is failing, but, we see cable and connector issues far more often than failing modems.  

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RickyB yes you can.  My guess is that you might have cable or connector issues, which would explain the reboots.  Changing the modem won't solve a cable or connector issue.  Can you log into the modem, navigate to the DOCSIS WAN tab, copy the Downstream and Upstream table and paste that into a post.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the tables.  From there, we can tell if there is a signal issue. 

Alternatively, you can simply call tech support and ask the CSR to run a signal check on the modem.  Indicate that you're having to reboot the modem several times a day to get it back up and working.  

Note that a reboot will temporarily resolve the issue, but, it won't resolve the underlying cable/connector problem.  The best time to call tech support is when the modem isn't responding to your log in attempts or when you don't have internet service, if in fact its that bad.  If my assumption is correct, the modem will fail the signal check, in which case you should see a tech out to your home fairly soon.  The worst time to call is just after a reboot, when the modem will appear to be working as it should. 

When that is all said and done, you can still trade in the modem if you're interested as you're on an unlimited plan. 

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@RickyB You most certainly quality for the CODA-4582 upgrade! All you need to do is bring in your CGN3 with the power cable to your nearest Rogers store and they will swap you to the CODA-4582 for free. 

RickyB
I've been here awhile
Thanks for the replies.  The tables are posted below:

Downstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Signal noise ratio (dB)Channel ID
1597000000256QAM-2.00036.6108
2579000000256QAM-2.40036.6105
3585000000256QAM-2.20036.6106
4591000000256QAM-2.40036.6107
5303000000256QAM-0.20037.3561
6603000000256QAM-2.40036.6109
7609000000256QAM-2.60037.35610
8615000000256QAM-2.60036.38711
9621000000256QAM-2.80036.38712
10633000000256QAM-3.10036.38713
11639000000256QAM-3.00036.61014
12645000000256QAM-2.70036.61015
13651000000256QAM-3.20035.59516
14657000000256QAM-3.90035.78017
15663000000256QAM-4.10035.78018
16669000000256QAM-4.20035.59519
17675000000256QAM-4.30035.78020
18681000000256QAM-4.60035.59521
19687000000256QAM-4.20035.78022
20693000000256QAM-4.10035.78023
21699000000256QAM-4.40035.78024
22705000000256QAM-5.50034.92625
23711000000256QAM-5.10034.92626
24717000000256QAM-5.30034.92627
Upstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)BandWidthModulation TypeSignal Strength (dBmV)Channel ID
1237000006400000ATDMA32.2502
2385960003200000ATDMA35.5003
3305960006400000ATDMA33.5001

Ok, thats not too bad.  The downstream signal levels roll off above 700 Mhz faster than I would like to see, but, they're all in spec.  The signal to noise ratios are ok, but, drop slightly above 700Mhz with the roll-off.  You can see the levels start rolling off around 650 Mhz.  The upstream levels are ok as well.  

So, based on where those levels are now,  I wouldn't expect any problems.  I'm assuming that the modem is working now and your internet service is ok.  The next time that it fails, don't reboot or reset the modem.  Leave it as is and call tech support to run the signal check and attempt to communicate with the modem.  Doing that when the modem has failed is the best time to do it.  

At the end of the day, you can simply take the modem in and exchange it for the CODA-4582 which is a much better modem in terms of latency.  If you or a member of your family are  gamers, that should make a difference to your gaming.  If you swap the modem and still see the failures, then yes, you definitely have cable or connector issues.  There is always the chance that the modem is failing, but, we see cable and connector issues far more often than failing modems.  

RickyB
I've been here awhile
So i picked up the new CODA today. Signal levels are about the same as the CGN3, not that I expected them to be better.

Time will tell if this fixes my issue.

Thanks for the help!

wayner92
I'm a reliable contributor

I am on the (now grandfathered) Ignite 250u service and I have had a Hitron CGN3 since shortly after they introduced (2013? and that was very painful) but it has been stable in recent years.  The only problem is that I can no longer access the web UI of the device at 192.168.100.1 when it is in bridge mode - I think this happened with a firmware upgrade that came out a year or two ago.

What are the pros and cons of switching to a newer modem like the CODA 4582?

I would need to put the device in bridge mode as I have a fairly large and sophisticated network.  I use a Ubiquiti Unifi USG as my router and I have five Unifi WAPs around my house for Wifi.  So I have no need for any routing or wifi from the gateway.  I have a very connected home and on average I have about 70 devices connected to my LAN and many of these have static addresses or DHCP reservations.  I forward a few ports and I also run OpenVPN server on my router.

Hi @wayner92

Thank you for posting on the Community Forums!

You've come to the right place for your research on the modems. 

Having a network set up for your home is set up with the right equipment is definitely something that would be important.

Perhaps one of Resident Experts can provide some insight here, @Datalink @Gdkitty @gp-se

RogersPrasana 

I havent had any issues running mine in gateway with my own router.

And you are able to access the modem, via 192.168.100.1.

@wayner92 wrote:

I am on the (now grandfathered) Ignite 250u service and I have had a Hitron CGN3 since shortly after they introduced (2013? and that was very painful) but it has been stable in recent years.  The only problem is that I can no longer access the web UI of the device at 192.168.100.1 when it is in bridge mode - I think this happened with a firmware upgrade that came out a year or two ago.

What are the pros and cons of switching to a newer modem like the CODA 4582?

I would need to put the device in bridge mode as I have a fairly large and sophisticated network.  I use a Ubiquiti Unifi USG as my router and I have five Unifi WAPs around my house for Wifi.  So I have no need for any routing or wifi from the gateway.  I have a very connected home and on average I have about 70 devices connected to my LAN and many of these have static addresses or DHCP reservations.  I forward a few ports and I also run OpenVPN server on my router.

@wayner92 I saw your post on dslreports, I would suggest getting the CODA, it uses DOCSIS 3.1 which is the future on Rogers. The network is also being tuned for DOCSIS 3.1, so it's worth changing your CGN for the CODA. 

BS
I'm a senior advisor

To the experts in this area I have a question related to the CGN3 and Coda

About 4 months ago, I renewed my services under a new contract model that led to a change from 60Mgb, 320GB to 75Mgb 500 and some changes in our home cable package and equipment.

When we were discussing the changes, I mentioned that we had been having challenges with our modem - the black CGN3 I think - we had been having Internet drops regularly, and after some discussion and a few things, I just put up with it.  I mentioned it and they suggested why not exchange the modem and the one offered at the store was the Coda 4582.

Our Internet has been more stable, although WIFI in the home is not as good - that is a nature of the design of our home which I have improved with an extender on the same SSID and tweaks in my computer settings on the adapter side for roaming, and applications for Android to support choice of the strongest access point, with considerable improvements.

My question basically is that I have seen people be advised to go back to the CGN3 for various reason and wonder if since I am not really having difficulties, should I just leave as is or consider going back.  Like I said, the WIFI actually is not as good on the CODA in our home, but we resolved that mostly with added coverage with an access point, I have done the same with a router placed in a better position in the home where I have a network ethernet jack with GB cabability (Cat 5e) in bridge mode, and also have used it as an access point.

The one major item that is a pain, but I can live without it is that I cannot get anything to connect to the USB port.  I had maintained two powered external 2.0 USB drives on the old one with no issues, but I only once got the one drive connected and then it dropped and now I cannot get any connection or sharing on any device.  I know from reading that the port has not been consistent across devices and units and for some had not even been fully enabled.

I live without it now, but my question:

Pros and cons of the one versus the other - stability at the speed of 75 that I use, WIFI is poor in my home due to metal beams, concrete walls and a long narrow tall structure design, basement to the 3rd floor.

I have no intention of going to any faster speeds - I need bandwidth, but if I need bandwidth, I would most likely go to a third party provider, and replace my router that failed last year and get the full bandwidth cap without the need for speed and modems that are not fully proven yet (based upon my reading).

So just wondering - I follow these threads, but there is so much in here, it is beyond my memory and comprehension skills to take it all in in any meaningful way - that is a challenge of this forum's layout, but that is a different topic.

Any advice is appreciated.

Bruce

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@BS

I personally would keep the CODA, DOCSIS 3.1 really helps with the connection compared to DOCSIS 3.0

Also Rogers will be enabling DOCSIS 3.1 on the upstream which is gonna be huge, because the network is uplink starved right now. I know on my node they have made changes on the upstream signal, so it's only a matter of time for them to flip the switch and enable DOCSIS 3.1 uplink.

As for WiFi coverage: With the CODA have you made sure to use channels 1,6, or 11 on 2.4Ghz, and Channels 149+ on 5Ghz? It makes a big difference. 

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Thanks for the response - I don't use 2.4 in our household at all at this time - way too much congestion in our area.  I have chosen channels in the 5.0 batch that don't overlap with ones in our neighbourhood too.  Even the basic 5.0 are starting to fill up with a couple of Bell routers around my home that are actually stronger than the CODA in our home.  Don't know what they are using, or where it is located in those two homes, but boy are they strong signals.

I have some improvement using a D-Link repeater as an access point using roaming apps on our phones, and med-high roaming on our two laptops, which don't move much anyway.  Fortunately, they are next door, both on 2.4, so coming strongly through are closely basement linked walls.  Whole bunch of them at varying levels, 6 on channel 11, 2 on channel 6, and 2 on channel 1.  I am glad I have 5.0 on all my devices now.  And there are 3 new ones just popped up nearby.

Bell has been hitting our neighbourhood very hard over the last number of months, removing satellites, which at one point were more prolific in our area than Rogers.  Now it is a mix of Satellite, Bell Fibe (they are running 150 in our neighbourhood and are preparing for full GB as soon as they get the pool of customers a bit higher I was told by an installer - the main box is at the end of the street, so I pop down and talk to them when they come in and work), and the other one growing by leaps and bounds is digital antennas - over 10 have gone in over the last three months, and there were already 5 - we have a small subdivision.

Just wondering and you have answered my question well.  I will stick.  Just wondered given the discussion by others being advised to roll back from the CODA - but at this time, things are changing up so much and so often on the Hitron lines, who knows. And fortunately our last 2.4 only device is gone, so that eliminates some of the crowding.  Now the only challenge is the reality that the way our houses are designed, the are tall, long and skinny, lots of steel and lots of concrete.  2.4 gets through fine, but too crowded in that band, but 5.0 is a struggle no matter where you put the modem.  At some point, I will replace my router and go bridged mode and set the router on the main floor where I have a cat 5e connection for full GB through to there.  Or we have such a long run of extra cable from the Internet install way back when, I can pull the cable up to the first floor behind the TV.

A few options to think about, but the WIFI in this house and with all our neighbours is an absolute pain in the neck.

I would love to put a mesh in the home, but just can't afford it.

And a higher up would be great - I do a lot of genealogy work and am often uploading scanned pictures.  Down isn't an issue for me at all, but more up would be lovely. That is if they allow it on the lower speeds because I can't justify any further increase in home service costs.  Ahh to have everything and the income to afford it.  Another life long gone by for me.

Bruce

chank
I plan to stick around

Sorry to resurrect this post, but I too have a Hitron CGN3 modem which I have had for some time and also drops the 2.4GHz wifi every so often. I can see that it is not there using a wifi analyser on my phone and then sometimes it comes back, other times I have to force it back by changing the channel. Also, occasionally, it will "lock out" a device, and it is not the same device. Sometimes it is one of my kids iPhones, sometimes an Android phone, and sometimes my work laptop which is always connected via ethernet. Sometimes restarting the device works, but sometimes I have to restart the modem. Has been behaving itself recently, but at one point is was two or three times a week.
Anyway, I think I should be able to upgrade to the CODA as I am on a 300u plan, but I have a couple of questions about the CODA:
1. I use no-ip DDNS, does the CODA support no-ip?
2. I think the answer to this is no, but with the CODA modem and perhaps its pending firmware update, can I create more than one device filter time block for a single MAC address? E.g. to restrict a device accessing the network, say from 16:00 - 16:30 *and* from 21:00 - 24:00. I only want two time blocks for one device, so I am finding it hard to justify buying a third party router just to do that.

Thanks.

Good evening @chank,

Thanks for your post! I hope you and yours are doing well and staying safe. 🙂

I know some of your questions were answered in the Rogers Hitron CGN3 - Customize Access Settings? thread but we're more than happy to answer your additional inquiries.

I'm sorry to disappoint, but at this time, the CODA-4582 is not compatible with Internet 300u package. 

Additionally, I am able to confirm that the CODA does not support "No-ip DDNS" and does not allow you to create more than one device filter time block for a single MAC address. Based on your needs, a third-party router may be your best bet.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions!

RogersMaude

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 10 in conversation