cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Mesh Network...Yes!!!

DannyFisher
I've been here awhile

Folks. If you're having a bad experience with your WiFi (My kids were yelling at it constantly when their Fortnite sessions dropped repeatedly and I was frustrated because I work from home and my cloud based apps were inaccessible) ask Rogers to install a mesh network in your home. Since they did in mine, the WiFi is AWESOME!!! I went from nearly cancelling my account to exceptionally happy. It took 3 tech support sessions before anyone suggested that I consider this option (2 more than it should have) but I'm glad that the issue is finally resolved. It does cost an extra $10 per month, but worth the investment for me.

My household has about 25 connected devices. If you're in a similar boat, the standard router (even the upgraded one) just won't do. Make the switch. You won't regret it.

P.S - I'm not a Rogers employee, shareholder or have any vested interest in telling you this. It's simply a PSA in the hopes that you're made aware of something that Rogers really should do a better job of doing same. 

***Edited Labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Rogers Mesh Network...Yes!!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DannyFisher: Thanks for the suggestion. If people don't wish to spend the extra $ for Mesh, it is possible in most cases to workaround the poor router(s) WiFi that Rogers sometimes provides.

1. Put the Rogers Modem/Router in bridge mode and do some research on a good router and purchase your own.  Payback should be less than a year.  Many people have done this to get around poor WiFi as discussed often in this forum.

2. Get some form of WiFi repeater(s), or extender(s).  Again, a bit of research on the best should get you the results you want/need, again with a year or less payback relative to Mesh.

3. If you have the new IgniteTV (IPTV), Rogers will sometimes install Mesh at no additional charge.  Negotiation may be required as with many things in life.

DannyFisher
I've been here awhile

Good suggestions. I tried a quality range extender, but it made no difference at all. It can only expand/extend the signal it receives. My problem was that the signal from the Roger routers was poor/unstable. Nothing the extender can do in that case. The Rogers router is simply not set up to support 25+ simultaneous connections. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DannyFisher wrote:

My problem was that the signal from the Roger routers was poor/unstable. 

One of the wired or Powerline extenders would not require a good signal since it would get the signal directly from the router's ethernet port...

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @DannyFisher

I have to agree. I tried every extender ( since I worked for Best Buy and was able to get more electronics for dirt cheap / free to try) and most didn't work as good as the Eero does.

The Eero does its job as promised! I get WiFi in the backyard and almost 2 houses down somehow lol. With other suggestions and extenders I couldn't even reach midway backyard and such. I know many suggest extenders and all but again this is in my mind better. Also you pay Rogers $10 per month, but u also get warranty and everything with them. Unlike other companies which most extenders only get 1yr limited warranty which you also need to send back if need warranty. Rogers will replace it for u within a day at most

Happy that Rogers finally offered this. Now that they also offer Ignite TV ( which I may get near Christmas if they offer to waive the install fee and bring the price down).

I'm sure that your neighbours, two to four houses down the street are appreciating the fact that your wifi network is probably interfering with their networks, making their wifi usage somewhat painful to say the least.  Personal opinion, mesh networks may be the nail in the coffin when it comes to normal wifi usage in the home.  As an example, 2.4 Ghz use in my neighbourhood is already a write off and I fight with my neighbours for clear channels in the 5 Ghz band.  The last thing I want to see are mesh networks popping up nearby, extending their network range far beyond the owners home and taking up additional channels for forwarding and back channels, as some mesh networks do.  As desirable as they appear, numerous mesh networks operating in close proximity and without power controls will result in degraded wifi networks for all concerned.  Just a matter of time.....

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Datalink

I appreciate your reply however I have spoken to the neighbours and none of them have said any regarding interference. Actually I'm really close with most in my area and asked them a couple days ago about their internet and cable ( since some have bell and the Rogers rep was doing a door to door) and when I asked about my WiFi going 2 houses down and about their WiFi speeds, none of them complained or said anything. Two of them worked for IBM and the other one is a retired data rep for Bell Internet ( Fibe). So they would know.... They all live within 1-3houses from me as well.

Also not all the time will someone's WiFi signals that go let's say a house or two down will cause interference. It all depends on the modems they are using as per what I was told. Also this can just be a rare case when I spoken to a Rogers level 2 tech regarding this. Only a few people eported this out of the thousands that have had this installed.

I do agree with you however I dount Rogers or Bell or anyone for that matter release a mesh / extender that may be able to do that.
Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 4 in conversation