cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers vs Google DNS - Any Benefits?

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

I was reading on the web that people were using Google DNS values over their own ISP. I just wanted to know what the benefits of this would be.

Also, what would be the IP4 and IP6 Values for Google?  I believe IP 4 is 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4 but am not sure what to enter for the IP6.

Thanks

***Edited Labels**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers vs Google DNS - Any Benefits?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Alex4161 the IPV6 DNS address for Google are:

Google IPV6 DNS:  2001:4860:4860::8888

Google IPV6 DNS:  2001:4860:4860::8844

There are differences between the various Domain Name Servers.   

Rogers DNS will normally offer the fastest response.  It provides address resolution only.  There have been criticism in the past regarding the DNS performance, but, there haven't been any comments recently. 

Google, as far as I know, offers address resolution only, with no filtering for malware sites or user selectable site categories. 

OpenDNS provides address resolution and filtering services for IPV4 addresses.  Users can sign up for a freebie account and specify the category of sites that they want to filter.  Any attempt to access one of the filtered sites results in page indicating that the address is filtered and can't be accessed.  Users who run this also need to run the OpenDNS Updater which is a small application which connects your current WAN IP address to your account, so that the requested site categories can be filtered.  The filtering can also be used to filter entire country domains.  For example, Russia, China, etc, etc.  

OpenDNS does not provide any site filtering capabilities for IPV6 addresses.  Too bad 😞  Its been on their to do list for a number of years now with no visible progress towards completion.  Maybe that's due to the buyout by Cisco?  

Quad9 is the new kid on the block, and is comprised of a consortium of various companies.  This service provides address resolution and filtering for both IPV4 and IPV6.  There are no user selectable categories for filtering.  From what I remember reading, the filtering is for malware sites for both IPV4 and IPV6.  The address is as follows:

Quad 9 IPV4 Secure IP: 9.9.9.9 Blocklist, DNSSEC, No EDNS Client-Subnet

Quad 9 IPV4 Unsecure IP: 9.9.9.10 No blocklist, no DNSSEC, send EDNS Client-Subnet

Quad 9 IPV6 secure services:  2620:fe::fe Blocklist, DNSSEC, No EDNS Client-Subnet

Quad 9 Unsecure IPv6: 2620:fe::10 No blocklist, no DNSSEC, send EDNS Client-Subnet

Quad9 will not provide a censoring component and will limit its actions solely to the blocking of malicious domains around phishing, malware, and exploit kit domains.

So, there are a number of choices in terms of Domain Name Servers.  Users really have to do some research to determine what they expect from the DNS that they use and who might provide those requirements. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rogers vs Google DNS - Any Benefits?

RogersZia

Good morning @Alex4161,

Thank you for your post. Since this isn't my expertise I'll tag our experts @Datalink @Gdkitty for their insights. 

RogersZia

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Alex4161 wrote:

I was reading on the web that people were using Google DNS values over their own ISP. I just wanted to know what the benefits of this would be.

Also, what would be the IP4 and IP6 Values for Google?  I believe IP 4 is 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4 but am not sure what to enter for the IP6.

Thanks

***Edited Labels**

@Alex4161

Using Rogers DNS ensures you get local servers (Content Delivery Network) which could improve speed/latency. However there is a lot of concerns of privacy, so some people will use other DNS servers. I personally won't use google, as they make money by tracking peoples habits to build advertising profiles. 

If you care about privacy then I suggest using Quad 9 or my personal favourite Cloudflare (1.1.1.1)

Both Quad 9 and Cloudflare offer ipv4 and ipv6 DNS resolving, Cloudflare is ranked #1 for both privacy and speed/latency)

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Alex4161 the IPV6 DNS address for Google are:

Google IPV6 DNS:  2001:4860:4860::8888

Google IPV6 DNS:  2001:4860:4860::8844

There are differences between the various Domain Name Servers.   

Rogers DNS will normally offer the fastest response.  It provides address resolution only.  There have been criticism in the past regarding the DNS performance, but, there haven't been any comments recently. 

Google, as far as I know, offers address resolution only, with no filtering for malware sites or user selectable site categories. 

OpenDNS provides address resolution and filtering services for IPV4 addresses.  Users can sign up for a freebie account and specify the category of sites that they want to filter.  Any attempt to access one of the filtered sites results in page indicating that the address is filtered and can't be accessed.  Users who run this also need to run the OpenDNS Updater which is a small application which connects your current WAN IP address to your account, so that the requested site categories can be filtered.  The filtering can also be used to filter entire country domains.  For example, Russia, China, etc, etc.  

OpenDNS does not provide any site filtering capabilities for IPV6 addresses.  Too bad 😞  Its been on their to do list for a number of years now with no visible progress towards completion.  Maybe that's due to the buyout by Cisco?  

Quad9 is the new kid on the block, and is comprised of a consortium of various companies.  This service provides address resolution and filtering for both IPV4 and IPV6.  There are no user selectable categories for filtering.  From what I remember reading, the filtering is for malware sites for both IPV4 and IPV6.  The address is as follows:

Quad 9 IPV4 Secure IP: 9.9.9.9 Blocklist, DNSSEC, No EDNS Client-Subnet

Quad 9 IPV4 Unsecure IP: 9.9.9.10 No blocklist, no DNSSEC, send EDNS Client-Subnet

Quad 9 IPV6 secure services:  2620:fe::fe Blocklist, DNSSEC, No EDNS Client-Subnet

Quad 9 Unsecure IPv6: 2620:fe::10 No blocklist, no DNSSEC, send EDNS Client-Subnet

Quad9 will not provide a censoring component and will limit its actions solely to the blocking of malicious domains around phishing, malware, and exploit kit domains.

So, there are a number of choices in terms of Domain Name Servers.  Users really have to do some research to determine what they expect from the DNS that they use and who might provide those requirements. 

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation