cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rogers Ignite Customer

ryanderamos
I've been here awhile

I did switched to Rogers and i am really happy with the speed that i am experiencing with the Ignite 500.  My only issue as of this time is that my ASUS RT-AC5300 Router sometimes is not broadcasting any internet signals.  Modem is saying it has internet and Router has no red light on the internet light but a white light.  It's just not broadcasting internet.  Not sure if i am missing any settings that i need to put on my router as normally i just plug and setup this one with no settings that i change.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks...

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: New Rogers Ignite Customer

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you have it in bridge mode? Or is the Asus router just plugged in?
Running it not in bridge mode, you are essentially double NATing yourself.   Where its going through double firewalls, as well as your router tries to route it outbound, then the rogers modem  has to do the same thing again.  It can cause some issues on some things, increase some latency, etc.

Overall, if your planning to use your own router, might be best to put the modem into bridge mode.  It makes it a modem only.  Then your routers does all the work only.
The only down side of this, is that if your an ignite TV customer as well, you have to manually set up your TV boxes to connect to your own router, a few more steps than normal.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

radiopipes
I've been here awhile

Do Rogers modems require the MAC address to be acknowledged during boot?

Perhaps an idea: Unplug the rogers modem, keep the router plugged in via ethernet, wait 30+ seconds, and then plug the power to the rogers modem in again. 

Otherwise, hop in to your rogers modem via 10.0.0.1 to view connections and logs - then log in to your Asus router via .. 192.168.1.1 (I believe) and then check the wifi -

Do speedtest.net check via ethernet on rogers modem (to PC) and then do speedtest via ethernet on Asus Router to PC;

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you have it in bridge mode? Or is the Asus router just plugged in?
Running it not in bridge mode, you are essentially double NATing yourself.   Where its going through double firewalls, as well as your router tries to route it outbound, then the rogers modem  has to do the same thing again.  It can cause some issues on some things, increase some latency, etc.

Overall, if your planning to use your own router, might be best to put the modem into bridge mode.  It makes it a modem only.  Then your routers does all the work only.
The only down side of this, is that if your an ignite TV customer as well, you have to manually set up your TV boxes to connect to your own router, a few more steps than normal.

ryanderamos
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the feedback.  I will try this route.  If the modem is in bridge mode, the ethernet going to the router should still be on WAN right?

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 in conversation