Intermittent disconnects - CODA-4582U

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Intermittent disconnects - CODA-4582U

Hello @joe101!

A warm welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thanks for posting! 👍

Based on the signal logs you've provided above, it appears that your signals are within the proper specifications, however, as you've pointed out, your speeds tend to be better when the attenuator is removed from the equation. 

I would recommend leaving the attenuator out of your set-up for the time being and just keep a close eye to ensure the speed levels remain stable. Please be sure to keep the Community posted on the results!

@Datalink, as always, feel free to chime in if you have some more advice you can provide! Your insight and expertise are always greatly appreciated by all! 😊

Kind regards,
RogersLaura

I Plan to Stick Around

Good afternoon,

I have been having internet issues for over 2-3 years not thinking anything of it i would change the router every so often, or would think its just the walls blocking reception. Recently i did a packet loss test and in all cases I'm losing a minimum of 10% all the way up to 25-45% depending on where its pinging.

I have a couple of screenshots from ping plotter and terminal.

What do i do to get this sorted out? PS i have the brand new modem available picked up less than two weeks ago.

Thanks

Victor

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@VictorK are you running ping tests over wifi or ethernet?  They should be run via ethernet only. 

To determine if you're seeing packet loss due to external cabling:

1.  run a trace to anywhere:  tracert -4 www.google.ca

2.  Take the second hop IP address and ping that address via ethernet connected pc/laptop, which is the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) to which your modem is connected: 

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 

3.  Let that ping test run for at least an hour, preferably longer.  I run ping tests for 24 hours when I do this for modem test purposes.  Ignore the high time return times that you see.  If you have a white CODA-4582 modem, that high return time is due to modem processing issues introduced in version .27.  That high time return (modem caused) does not exist for any other target beyond the CMTS.

Use Ctrl + c to bail out of the test.  

Now, if you can see that you're getting timeouts (packet loss) every minute or so during a ping test, call tech support and:

1.  Ask the Customer Service Rep to run a signal check on the modem, just to see if it passes.  

2.  When the signal check is done, ask the CSR to ping the modem from the CMTS, or ping the CMTS from the modem.  Keep your ping test going.  When you see packet loss in the results, the CSR should also see packet loss in the test that he or she is running.  That packet loss should be enough for the CSR to arrange for a field tech to check your external cabling and connectors.  That cabling and its connectors don't last forever and at some point have to be replaced, even if the signal check on the modem looks ok.  Sometimes, if there is enough degradation in the signal levels, that will be evident in the signal check and in the signal levels that can be seen in the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab, specifically Downstream and Upstream signal levels, QAM levels and Signal to Noise Ratios. 

If you log into your modem to have a look at that table, select or highlight the entire table, starting at the Downstream Overview line, all the way to the very bottom section of the entire table, right click ..... Copy.   Then paste that into a post so that we can see what your signal levels look like, right click ..... paste.  While that data can look normal, its very possible to end up with packet loss due to water ingress into the cable, simply due to aging of the cable and its connectors. 

When your talking with the CSR, let him or her know that you've already changed modems, which has not resolved the situation.  

Note that all of the above is predicated on packet loss that is observed via ethernet connected device.  Now if it turns out that your having problems with wifi, please have a look at the following post, specifically the wifi settings and applications to look at your wifi environment to determine who you're competing with for wifi channels:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/429489#M54216

My advise for anyone who absolutely lives on wifi is to run the modem in Bridge mode with a good wifi router behind it, to provide good wifi coverage of your home.  While the modem is good for basic wifi needs, users who need better coverage and access to settings that are typically found in routers, are simply better off buying a good router. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks,

I checked the test this morning and had a minimum of 12% packet loss up to 45%.

This is a wired connection via ethernet, will contact CSR this weekend to have them do a test.

I Plan to Stick Around

Finally decided to check these forums since I am having the same issues.  I get a random disconnect or two daily.  I am on my 6th 4582U now since Rogers keeps having me replace them.  I've also had techs to the house 3 times and all is well according to them.  I am also setup in bridge mode and most of the time when I call in to complain about the disconnects, the tech I get first tells me it must be my setup after the Coda causing the thing to restart (ya, right.).  So I just call back right away and get someone that has a better clue.  

Still though... been going on now for a year and still not solved.  Think I will just cut my losses with Rogers and try out Bell.  Sure, the download speed sucks in my area but if it doesn't disconnect daily and has a better upload speed maybe it'll be worth it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@iPhoneFan please have read thru this post and the following posts:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Intermittent-disconnects-CODA-4582U/m-p/447992#M57300

You're way beyond those posts, given the tech visits and number of modem swaps you've had.  If you still have any patience left, when you're logged into the forum, follow this link @CommunityHelps to their public page.  On the right hand side is a link to "send this user a private message".  Follow that link to the message composition page, which will already be addressed.  Enter a message title and add the same short synopsis that you posted as well as your account #.  Request a Senior Tech visit to resolve the problem.

That @CommunityHelps link is for the moderators.  Given the previous tech visits, the moderators can arrange for a Senior Tech vist (Real Rogers Tech).  

When you're online, watch for a number overlaying the avatar in the upper right hand corner of the page, which can signify an incoming message.  Follow that avatar (its also a link) to the mail symbol on the next linked page, and down to the incoming message folder to see the response from one of the moderators.