Intermittent disconnects - CODA-4582U

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Intermittent disconnects - CODA-4582U

I have been experiencing intermittent disconnects of internet service for a few minutes at a time and have replaced the CODA-4582U with no improvement. The modem is is bridged mode and after reading some of the other posts I believe there may be a signal issue. I was able to capture the following info from the DOCSIS Event log today and was hoping someone could interpret and point me in the right direction to resolve the issue.

Thanks for your help. 

**Removed logs due to Community Guideline: Keep personal info private. - RogersZia**

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Intermittent disconnects - CODA-4582U

@OttawaDave1  can you delete the CM-MAC address please as its specific to the modem.  The Ranging Response events aren't a big deal.  The modem requests a maintenance period from the Cable Modem Termination System, and if the CMTS can't arrange one, the modem logs the event, resumes its operation and then goes on to request another event.  Not a biggie.  

The MIMO event comes up when there is a discrepancy between some of the modem's channel data and the  data sent out by the CMTS.  That makes sense if you're seeing service interrupts. 

The best time to call tech support is when one of these interrupts in in progress.  Advise the CSR that your getting service interrupts, and ask him or her to run a signal check on the modem.  If the CSR can catch it in time, that test should automatically fail, leading to a tech visit.  Also ask the CSR to check the modems for your immediate neighbours to determine if this is an individual cable problem (yours) or if its a wider problem.  The answer to that will determine the level of field tech that is sent to investigate the problem. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the reply @Datalink 

The interrupts only occur a few times per day and seem to be random so I can't imagine being able to call and get someone on the line during an outage. Is there any information I can collect to help get this issue resolved?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OttawaDave1  not really.  The service interrupts won't show up in the modem logs, although the CSR should be able to see a history of disconnects from the CMTS logs.  Call tech support, indicate the disconnect issue and ask the CSR to run a signal check.  The problem with these fast disconnects is that when the modem is up and running, the signal levels might look fine.  It all depends on whether or not there is any existing signal degradation which has very short disconnects to boot.  Any existing signal degradation might be enough cause to dispatch a tech.  

Is your external cable underground, or overhead from a utility pole?  In either case, the cable degrades over time and eventually has to be replaced. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I have this happen as well.  Every day or two the modem reboots.  Sometimes I have to power it off and on again.

I'm also in bridge mode although I'm not sure it makes a difference.

Good luck calling when it happens because it's totally unpredictable and can reboot in a couple of minutes.

My guess is that there's congestion on the line that gets so bad that the modem loses communication and thus reboots.

It's amazing that in 2019, with Bell offering upload speeds near 1 gigabit that Rogers can't maintain 30 megabit.

I've Been Here Awhile

@ablatt  I was able to contact support via web chat yesterday and after running a test they determined that the signal strength was too high. A tech came out today and added what appears to be a choke to the back of the modem.

I can't say for sure that the issue is 100% resolved but my connection has been stable for the past 12 hours with clean event logs.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OttawaDave1 that barrel connector is most likely a signal attenuator, looking something like this:

https://www.antronix.com/products/other/attenuators.aspx

That will drop the incoming signal by an amount indicated by the number on the side of the barrel.  That's in db, so, the signal drop would be X dB.  That attenuator would also result in a higher outbound signal level from the modem, unless it happens to be a forward path attenuator only, which only drops the inbound signal level. 

@ablatt if the modem is rebooting during the day, that is most likely due to an external cable or connector fault or possibly due to a faulty modem.  If you've already swapped modems, and the problem has persisted, then you have a cable or connector problem on the go.  The modem should not be rebooting on its own.  It should be rock solid and you shouldn't have to think or worry about it operating properly.  I would call in and register a complaint, every day that you have a reboot occur.  The tech might try twist your arm to exchange the modem, but, if you've already done that, doing it again is no-go, personal opinion.  I might believe that you could see two faulty modems in a row, three in a row, nope, don't believe that at all.  So, call in, complain, day after day, for as long as you have patience.  If you get no response from tech support, its time to get the mods  @CommunityHelps involved.  

I Plan to Stick Around

Senior techs have been here and have identified upstream issues. They've checked my line and signal.

My experience with Rogers is these issues can take months to fix with Rogers sending out techs for no reason other than to attempt to pacify the customer.

It's up to maintenance to fix my problem.  My hunch is congestion in which case I could be waiting forever.

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers have sent out multiple techs, claim all is well. Im disconnected 3-4 times a day, modem lights reset. Thought id show you fine people this page in my modem to see if anythings off. Let me know. <3

Screenshot_2.jpg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MittensKittens  you have a few signal to noise ratios that are defaulting to the modem's default numbers of 4.191.

Can you do the following please.  

1.  Instead of taking a screen shot of the table, simply copy the table from the top "Downstream Overview" to the bottom right corner of the bottom OFDMA section.  Highlight or select that section as you would when you copy from a document, right click and select copy, or use Ctrl + c, then paste that into a post, right click - paste, or Ctrl+v.  Please do that after you log into the modem and navigate to the DOCSIS WAN tab.  When that is pasted in, post it.  

2.  Then, reboot the modem using the Admin .... Device Reboot .... Reboot function.  After the reboot, log back into the modem, copy the same table from the DOCSIS WAN tab and post it. 

I'd like to see the before reboot and after reboot numbers, just to see what they look like. 

Fwiw, copying the table is much simpler than trying to take a screen shot that grabs the whole table.  The pasted table might not line up exactly, but, thats not a problem as the data can be easily understood for what it is.