Ignite Wifi Gateway (Arris XB6) vs. Old Hitron Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ignite Wifi Gateway (Arris XB6) vs. Old Hitron Gateway

We recently got the ignite bundle with tv and internet, we cancelled it because we were mislead and are sticking with legacy internet with Hitron modem. I still have the Arris XB6 and ignite tv box unopened. i know i have to return the TV box, but what about the modem?

What's better about this modem compare to my Hitron? 

**Labels Added**

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite Wifi Gateway (Arris XB6) vs. Old Hitron Gateway

How did you get the Ignite hardware? I was under the impression Ignite requires a Rogers Tech to install. Either way you'll have to return the XB6 because it can only be used on Ignite. Also the Hitron in my opinion is better because it doesn't broadcast hidden networks and can use custom DNS unlike the XB6. Also the firmware on the XB6 is controlled by Comcast, so any firmware issues have to go from Rogers -> Comcast -> Arris/Technicolor. At least with the Hitron Rogers deals directly with Hitron and can get fixes/requests out faster.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: ignite wifi gateway (Arris XB6) vs. old Hitron one

it was shipped to use 1 day after we said yes to the bundle. I was looking at the XB6. the software/app feature looks gimmicky and not needed. when u said Ignite, do you mean it only works with the bundle? because we have the IGNITE 150u internet.

But does the XB6 have better range for example?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The XB6 can only be used with the Ignite TV bundle, not with simple Ignite Internet.  Therefore your question is moot.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

is it because it is physically not compatible or is it a policy issue because Rogers blocks it from their end? Or is it more like it works, but roger just don't want me to use it and they have no way to stop me? 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is a policy issue.  Fwiw, just to get rid of the extraneous wifi SSIDs broadcast by the XB6, its worth switching back to the Hitron.  

In theory the modems are almost equal, the Hitron is a Gateway modem, the Arris is an EMTA Gateway modem, meaning that it has telephone capability.  They are built off of the same Software Development Kit issued by Intel, just a matter of using the correct files to build the firmware for the specific hardware.  

They are both Intel Puma 7 modems.  Hitron has been dealing with the idiosyncrasies of the Puma 7 modems longer than Arris and from what we've seen in the past, have been much faster at turning around firmware updates to deal with the various Puma 7 issues.  

At the end of the day, if Rogers wants to stop you, they can remotely disable the modem that you have.  There's no point in getting into that situation.  

Rogers should arrange for a tech visit to swap the modem and any other equipment, assuming that you can and ask for the swap.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

thanks for the honesty. i don't really have a reason to keep the XB6 apart from looking better and pissing off rogers lol. Just need to drag myself to the store to return it.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Make sure that you get a receipt for any equipment that you return to the store.  Ensure that all of the items are included on the receipt and properly identified. 

Edit:  call tech support first.  Some stores require a work order in order to swap equipment, which tech support will set up. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

So the 2016 released CODA 4582u from Hitron is a better modem than the new one? Sounds unlikely to me as Ive just put in my third 4582 in the last 18 months or so...It kept randomly dropping the wifi connections, each one started at about the 6-8 month mark and has accelerated since the new refurbed ones have been installed. This last 4582 refurbed unit came to me filthy and smelling of cigarettes. I expressed my concern to the Rogers rep but they insist they are cleaned and checked at their warehouse. I'll have to take their word for it as the family needs their quarantine to include internet access. I thought That the toppling Ignite Gigabit unlimited would warrant a modem newer than one from 2016 but with these guys who knows what they are thinking... Im thinking that as much as i dislike Bell that if this one fails i may have to move my business.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Don't upgrade to ignite internet service

We just upgraded and are now paying $ 20 more a month for the same speed but horrible range. Chat support said I could add extenders. So you upgrade , pay more and in order to get the same range as before with the old Hitron modem you have to add extenders. Thanks rogers