cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Wifi Gateway (Arris XB6) vs. Old Hitron Gateway

imeem
I plan to stick around

We recently got the ignite bundle with tv and internet, we cancelled it because we were mislead and are sticking with legacy internet with Hitron modem. I still have the Arris XB6 and ignite tv box unopened. i know i have to return the TV box, but what about the modem?

What's better about this modem compare to my Hitron? 

**Labels Added**

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Ignite Wifi Gateway (Arris XB6) vs. Old Hitron Gateway

gp-se
I'm an advisor

How did you get the Ignite hardware? I was under the impression Ignite requires a Rogers Tech to install. Either way you'll have to return the XB6 because it can only be used on Ignite. Also the Hitron in my opinion is better because it doesn't broadcast hidden networks and can use custom DNS unlike the XB6. Also the firmware on the XB6 is controlled by Comcast, so any firmware issues have to go from Rogers -> Comcast -> Arris/Technicolor. At least with the Hitron Rogers deals directly with Hitron and can get fixes/requests out faster.

Re: ignite wifi gateway (Arris XB6) vs. old Hitron one

imeem
I plan to stick around

it was shipped to use 1 day after we said yes to the bundle. I was looking at the XB6. the software/app feature looks gimmicky and not needed. when u said Ignite, do you mean it only works with the bundle? because we have the IGNITE 150u internet.

But does the XB6 have better range for example?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The XB6 can only be used with the Ignite TV bundle, not with simple Ignite Internet.  Therefore your question is moot.

imeem
I plan to stick around

is it because it is physically not compatible or is it a policy issue because Rogers blocks it from their end? Or is it more like it works, but roger just don't want me to use it and they have no way to stop me? 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is a policy issue.  Fwiw, just to get rid of the extraneous wifi SSIDs broadcast by the XB6, its worth switching back to the Hitron.  

In theory the modems are almost equal, the Hitron is a Gateway modem, the Arris is an EMTA Gateway modem, meaning that it has telephone capability.  They are built off of the same Software Development Kit issued by Intel, just a matter of using the correct files to build the firmware for the specific hardware.  

They are both Intel Puma 7 modems.  Hitron has been dealing with the idiosyncrasies of the Puma 7 modems longer than Arris and from what we've seen in the past, have been much faster at turning around firmware updates to deal with the various Puma 7 issues.  

At the end of the day, if Rogers wants to stop you, they can remotely disable the modem that you have.  There's no point in getting into that situation.  

Rogers should arrange for a tech visit to swap the modem and any other equipment, assuming that you can and ask for the swap.  

imeem
I plan to stick around
thanks for the honesty. i don't really have a reason to keep the XB6 apart from looking better and pissing off rogers lol. Just need to drag myself to the store to return it.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Make sure that you get a receipt for any equipment that you return to the store.  Ensure that all of the items are included on the receipt and properly identified. 

Edit:  call tech support first.  Some stores require a work order in order to swap equipment, which tech support will set up. 

Bacara
I've been here awhile

So the 2016 released CODA 4582u from Hitron is a better modem than the new one? Sounds unlikely to me as Ive just put in my third 4582 in the last 18 months or so...It kept randomly dropping the wifi connections, each one started at about the 6-8 month mark and has accelerated since the new refurbed ones have been installed. This last 4582 refurbed unit came to me filthy and smelling of cigarettes. I expressed my concern to the Rogers rep but they insist they are cleaned and checked at their warehouse. I'll have to take their word for it as the family needs their quarantine to include internet access. I thought That the toppling Ignite Gigabit unlimited would warrant a modem newer than one from 2016 but with these guys who knows what they are thinking... Im thinking that as much as i dislike Bell that if this one fails i may have to move my business.

Budman67
I've been here awhile

Don't upgrade to ignite internet service

We just upgraded and are now paying $ 20 more a month for the same speed but horrible range. Chat support said I could add extenders. So you upgrade , pay more and in order to get the same range as before with the old Hitron modem you have to add extenders. Thanks rogers

Budman67
I've been here awhile
I am in the exact same situation. The range on the new modem is horrible! Haven't cancelled yet.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Budman67 wrote:

Don't upgrade to ignite internet service

We just upgraded and are now paying $ 20 more a month for the same speed but horrible range. Chat support said I could add extenders. So you upgrade , pay more and in order to get the same range as before with the old Hitron modem you have to add extenders. Thanks rogers

Which version of the XB6 do you have, the one made by Arris or the Technicolor model?  To check, log into the modem; you will find the Model and Vendor listed in: Gateway > Hardware > System Hardware

In some cases, the Technicolor version may perform better than the Arris model.   (The transmit power on the 5 GHz DFS channels (and above) is higher on the Techncolor variant, according to the certification documents, and this could make a difference with some WiFi clients.)  You may be able to improve WiFi performance by adjusting the modem location.  You should also perform a survey using a WiFi scanner to isolate/fix dead spots and to ensure that you are using optimal WiFi channels.  However, the WiFi performance on the XB6 (either model) should not be all that different from your old Hitron modem.

Yes, you can extend your range by installing Pods but anything connecting to a Pod will see their WiFi throughput top out at 200 Mb/s... and as soon as you start using the Ignite WiFi mobile app or the Ignite WiFi Hub web app, you will lose the ability to configure some WiFi settings on your XB6 gateway.

Also, if I may ask, what was the reason that you switched to Ignite Internet, despite it also being more expensive than what you had before?

keya
I've been here awhile

The old Hitron cable modem just stopped working one day probably due to one of Toronto Hydro’s frequent brief interruptions. Rogers said they don’t stock the Hitrons anymore, company no longer makes them apparently. Not sure I believe Rogers since Tech Savvy still uses them. Rogers set me up with Rogers ignite internet, tv and home phone and claimed I needed a tech install instead of self install because I have Rogers Home Monitoring. I went for it. Home phone is far less than what I was paying them previously and got Canada wide calling for $5 a month. The Arris XB6 is a lousy modem. It keeps dropping wifi connections to my 4 airport express, something Hitron never did. Figured out it is because the Arris XB6 fails to renew DHCP leases and I have to turn on my new MacBook Pro, open Airport Utility and click “renew DHCP lease” to get them to reconnect. Moreover, my HomePod refused command to “play this also in dining room” saying it couldn’t find an Airplay 2 speaker there when there is one. The old Hitron never did this either. I hate the ignite TV compared to the cable. The remote is horribly designed. The on and off button is right above the channel up and down and buttons are so small you can inadvertently hit the channel up and down instead of the on/off. On top of that the fast forward and rewind in saved programs is terrible compared to old remotes. You try to fast forward through commercials and wind up losing half the program you are trying to watch. The tech who was handsomely paid to set it all up neglected to tell me I needed to change my voice Mail settings in the new home phone installation so that I missed important voice mails because my old password no longer worked. He also forgot to tell me how to change the password on the Arris XB6 so that my network was secure. I had to go online to find out how to do that. In conclusion, this new system of Rogers is a total disaster as far as I am concerned and I am thinking of switching to Tech Savvy to get a decent Hitron modem again, one that I can easily put into bridge mode if I want to use my own quality router. Since I pretty well have to tolerate all the commercials now, I might as well over the air antennae for my two TVs and use my two Apple 4K TVs to stream. Rogers ignite TV doesn’t even include the numbers of streaming apps you can download on the Apple TV’s that work much better than the very limited streaming apps included in Rogers Ignite TV. It would cost me less a month to switch to Tech Savvy, use over the air tv and subscribe to more streaming services than I now get with Rogers Ignite TV. I will likely return the whole mess of lousy equipment to a Rogers store before too long and say my goodbyes to Rogers after being a long time customer of over 30 years. Disgusting company!

AwesomeBoss22
I've been around

If this is true, then why did rogers send up the new ignite modem when we don't have TV, only Ignite internet??

@AwesomeBoss22 wrote:

If this is true, then why did rogers send up the new ignite modem when we don't have TV, only Ignite internet??

I presume that this is in response to the following comment:

The XB6 can only be used with the Ignite TV bundle, not with simple Ignite Internet. Therefore your question is moot.

Back when @57  made that statement, Rogers was not selling "Ignite Internet" yet.  For a number of years, the only way that you could get the XB6 gateway was by subscribing to Ignite TV.  Today, you get the Ignite Gateway with Ignite Internet and any other Ignite-branded service that you bundle with it.  Depending on the speed and type of Internet service that you subscribe to, Rogers will provide you with either an XB6, XB7, or XB8 gateway.

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 9 in conversation