cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron Modem keeps dropping internet

stephen_214
I'm here a lot

I just moved from an apartment building to a condo style townhouse and have been having connectivity issues with my modem. At first our internet would not connect at all, so we had a technician come in and he replaced the cable from the panelboard to the modem with a direct connection and it has a 3db signal reduction filter because the signal was very strong with the direct connection. I never had issues with internet at the apartment, but now it seems that a few times a night the internet is dropping out so that all the lights on the modem go dark and it seems like it reboots. I have my modem in bridge mode to a d-link router and when this reset happens, the fifth lights on the modem, I believe it is the ethernet light does not come back on, so my router is not receiving internet access anymore. The only temporary fix I have found is to restart the modem by unplugging it and plugging it back in after 30 seconds, but then it will drop out again a little while later in the night. Is there a fix for this so that my internet is stable and I don't have to keep resetting the internet? I wouldn't think it is the modem or router because it was fine at the apartment, it has only had issues in the townhouse. 

***EDITED LABELS***

102 REPLIES 102

Re: Hitron Modem keeps dropping internet

yyzsam
I plan to stick around
Call support and insist the tech check the cable right to the pole.

I had the same issue and the tech found damage where the cable connect at the pole.

borford
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@stephen_214 wrote:

I just moved from an apartment building to a condo style townhouse and have been having connectivity issues with my modem. At first our internet would not connect at all, so we had a technician come in and he replaced the cable from the panelboard to the modem with a direct connection and it has a 3db signal reduction filter because the signal was very strong with the direct connection. I never had issues with internet at the apartment, but now it seems that a few times a night the internet is dropping out so that all the lights on the modem go dark and it seems like it reboots. I have my modem in bridge mode to a d-link router and when this reset happens, the fifth lights on the modem, I believe it is the ethernet light does not come back on, so my router is not receiving internet access anymore. The only temporary fix I have found is to restart the modem by unplugging it and plugging it back in after 30 seconds, but then it will drop out again a little while later in the night. Is there a fix for this so that my internet is stable and I don't have to keep resetting the internet? I wouldn't think it is the modem or router because it was fine at the apartment, it has only had issues in the townhouse. 

***EDITED LABELS***

If all the lights go out including the power light, then it is a problem modem or power supply so swap. If the power light stays on and all the other lights cycle, then call tech support and let them know. There are known issues with some modems and ethernet whil in bridge mode, depending on the firmware version as well.

Brian

Brian

Okay, I have seen it happen and know that the power light is staying on while all of the other lights cycle. I will try tech support.

Called tech support. No help. Told me to replace modem so I did and it is still disconnecting. So that did not work.

@stephen_214 did you replace the modem power supply as well, if you have a modem other than the CODA-4582 (white modem)

Can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page, copy just the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into a post.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the tables. 

I can no longer access the Internet through the modem. So I can't do that. It is doing the same thing as before the tech pulled a new cable where the upload symbol stays solid but the download will keep flashing and won't give Internet access. I am having to use up my data on my phone just to respond to this.

Call Rogers again, tell them you swapped the modem and it still doesn't work. Ask them send a tech because something is wrong with the signal if the modem can't find any downstream/upstream channels. I would also ask them if the tech can bring another modem, to make sure it all works before the tech leaves. 

borford
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Sorry you are still having issues. When we troubleshoot intermittent internet and everything looks good on the line while we are troubleshooting, the first step is to swap out the modem. As mentioned before, power issues could be a cause,. Always swap the power adapter when you swap the modem and test it directly to a wall outlet, not a strip, surge protector or battery backup. Second step may be to send a tech, but again this is intermittent so the tech may not not find the issue while there. A ticket may be submitted to monitor your connection or we may be able to consult our mentor line while talking with you to see if there are other options or things that have been missed. All in all, intermittant internet is the hardest thing to troubleshoot but don't give up yet.

Brian

I have a rogers tech coming this afternoon. I also have the modem plugged directly into the wall now.

??  Does that mean that you had the modem's RG-6 cable running thru a surge arrestor and now the modem's RG-6 cable is connected directly to the wallplate's cable port?

No I had the modems power supply plugged into a power bar. Now it is directly connected to an power receptacle instead because they said that could be an issue.

stephen_214
I'm here a lot

Rogers technician came by yesterday and tested everything. Everything seems fine from the modem forward, with nothing that should be interupting witht he signal. He checked the cable terminations and connectors. He found that there was an issue with one of the ends at the electrical box in the basement. There was a loose strand inside of it that he removed. He thinks that that could have been it. It has not gone down yet when I have been home, but he said that if it does to give him a call and they may run a temporary cable from the outside box to the basement as the next step. 

mcolwell
I plan to stick around

Cable Modem keeps dropping WAN periodically for short periods of time

For the past 2 months my Cable Modem keeps losing internet connectivity for short periods of time (20 seconds to 1 or 2 minutes). When I check the modem each time it happens I see the WAN uptime is 0 and the LAN will be however long the modem has been running (days typically).

I have called Rogers about 6 times about this and it has yet to be resolved. It is extremely frustrating as it can go out 6-15 times a day which causes lots of disruption since I work from home and use internet constantly. Yesterday it went out about 12 times.

Is it possible the line from my house to the junction is compromised causing this behaviour? Reason I suspect this is last year around same time frame (end of winter/start of spring) I had similar problems. I have asked Rogers if they could put a temporary line from the box (right next to my driveway) to the house to see if this fixes the problems but they have not been willing to try that yet. They always tell me it was a area related issue and it has now been fixed... Then I have the problem again the very next day and so on.

I have tried 3 different Cable Modems and the problem happens with all of them.

H E L P !!

I am getting so tired of this and hearing my family constantly shout... "Is the internet out AGAIN?"

DaveFro
I plan to stick around

Same for me, but frequency isn't quite as bad. Typically my wan up-time counter on my router will never get over 24 hours, and usually no more than 12. Running in gateway mode. CODA-4582.

every time this happens call tech support, and ask for compensation for the service going down. It could be a weather issue, since you had the same issue a year ago. Just make sure to always call in so they can see this in an ongoing issue, and hopefully they find the source of the issue.

csdjmitchell
I've been here awhile
Mine has been doing the same for two weeks. 4 calls to Rogers and a service call. Replaced modem. Good for 24 hours and down again. Another service call to come. Rebooting the box does nothing it will randomly come online hours later.

@csdjmitchell

@csdjmitchell wrote:
Mine has been doing the same for two weeks. 4 calls to Rogers and a service call. Replaced modem. Good for 24 hours and down again. Another service call to come. Rebooting the box does nothing it will randomly come online hours later.

Keep calling them and reporting these issues. You should ask for compensation on your bill since you aren't getting proper service. You call also go here and explain the situation to them.

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/account/ombudsman/376?setLanguage=en

I had to use this route and got my problem solved within 48 hours.

mrbrimi
I plan to stick around

So just got off with Rogers after reporting that I'm losing internet every 24 hours.

Rogers claim that (1) it is not a problem at their end and (2) that their diagnostics show no problems with my modem. They also say that according to the modem logs there have been no issues with this modem over the last year.

They suggest that I swap the modem despite the fact that they don't see an issue.

They offered a credit.

@mrbrimi when the service fails, is the failure time period long enough that you can call tech support during that failure?  If so, that's the best time to call, when some device has finally failed, allowing the tech to determine where that failure is located.  If you have to reboot the modem to bring it back into service, don't, call tech support first so that the CSR can troubleshoot the problem.  If a modem reboot does temporarily resolve the issue, that is most likely an external cable or connector problem. 

If you look at the event log, is there an event that immediately precedes the failure, taking into account the time difference between Eastern time and the log time.  Look for something like an MDD Timeout. 

mrbrimi
I plan to stick around

I've swapped the modem already so can't check logs. The tech claimed to find nothing in the logs or her diagnostics.

The dropped connections are only for a couple of moments at a time, had three over a 20 minute span.

As for calling Rogers while down...nice thought but it took three calls to get through this morning with 20 minute wait times per call. 

Topic Stats