Gigabit Speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Gigabit Speeds

Your information is very informative and I will look into the Asus router settings tonight...I am just running stock firmware from Asus...

I had Bell 300/100 before...I was getting around 330Mbps down and about 121Mbps down...speed was very good but too bad the promotion ended....
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks again for your advice on modem and Asus router settings...I must say that the Asus Router Configuration is highly sophisticated...Anyway, I did a factory reset and went thru. the suggested settings...Now I am getting about the same download speed when plugging the CAT5e cable to the back of the modem or the back of the Asus Router...However, WiFi transfer speed is still hovering around mid-500 to 600Mbps...I suppose this is a hardware limitation (?)... What are some of your gigabit speeds others are getting with their modem? Thanks again!!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RNEric, on the AC68U with just the AI Protection, firewall and wifi running I'll see about 900 to 910 Mb/s (IPV4) on the downstream, ~58 Mb/s on the upstream.  I'm on the gigabit plan introduced a couple of years ago, so the upstream limits are higher.  On the AC86U, I'll see ~950 to 960 Mb/s (IPV4) on the downstream, ~58 Mb/s on the upstream.  The AC86U numbers match what I'll see thru the modem itself.  

The AC68U has an 800 Mhz processor, the AC86U has a 1.8 Ghz processor, so, the additional horsepower makes a difference.  I haven't run a speedtest recently with the Xfinity sites, so, can't tell you at the moment what difference I'll see with the IPV6 speedtest results. 

As for the wifi, if you've set the wifi to the widest bandwidth possible and are running a channel in the 149 to 161 range, then the result you see will be result of your nearest competition denying the router or remote device, access to a certain portion of the bandwidth or broadcast time in that channel range.  And / or, you're sharing that channel with someone else and running into co-channel interference, where each router and remote device recognizes that there is another network running in that same channel and as a result all devices end up sharing the available time, so, your max downstream data rate drops from the observed wired result of 900 to 950 Mb/s.  In the professional settings for the 5 Ghz, ensure that Explicit Beamforming is enabled.  I've see discussions indicating that Universal Beamforming should be off, but, I've always enabled it and never had any issues from what I can tell.  Also, if you have no Multi User-MIMO devices, that is Wave 2 802.11ac devices, disable MU-MIMO in the professional settings as well.  

If you use Acrylic to determine who else is operating in that channel 149 to 161 range, you might find that your better off using channel 153, 157 or 161 as the base channel.  It all depends on who else is in that channel space.  If there is a channel that isn't occupied, that's the channel that I would choose.  If you do change channels, run a speed test to see if your any further ahead.  If you end up losing, go back to the original channel.  For info's sake, the lower 5 Ghz channels, 36 to 48, are limited in output power to 50 or 200 milli-watts depending on when the device was approved by Industry Canada.  The upper channels 149 to 165 are allowed to run at 1 watt max radiated power.  So, that additional power does make a difference in range and in max data rates that you will see.  Even with the competition from both of my neighbors, I'm still better off in that upper channel range, seeing higher data rates than I would see in the lower channel range where there is no competition.  So, everyone's location has different background noise levels and competing numbers of wifi modems and routers.  This really requires data rate testing in the various channel ranges to determine what the best channel range is for each end user.  That can be washed aside when nearby users run their equipment on Auto, but, if you're in a situation where the competition is fairly static, then you can probably decide to use  a fixed channel as a base channel.  The AC3100 will then figure out the required extension channels. 

To see what the gross wifi connect rate is, you can look at the list in the AC3100 Network Map.  That will tell you what the gross connect rates are between the router and mobile device.  If you right click on the internet or wifi symbol in the taskbar to the lower right, select Open Network and Internet Settings.  Select "View Your Network Properties" in the lower linked list to bring up the network properties page.  The Link Speed (Receive / Transmit) is shown on that page.  For a wifi connection, that should be the gross data rate that is running between the router and mobile device, same as what you see in the router Network list.  If you take those numbers, you should be able to find them in the Modulation and Coding Scheme chart:

http://mcsindex.com/

If you multiply the data rate by the fraction listed in the Modulation and Coding column, that will give you the max data rate that the wifi desktop or laptop will see.  Note that the router and wifi device will constantly evaluate the signal level and signal to noise ratios in the received data streams as well as blocked channels from other wifi networks, and move up and down that chart as required.  At the end of the data, the max data rate that you will see is a combined product of the signal level, signal to noise ratio, and lost bandwidth due to whomever you are competing with for that same channel space.  Depending on your home layout, about the only thing you can do is place the router or additional access point closer to the area where you mainly use wifi.  Fwiw, Ubiquity wifi access point users are pretty happy with their equipment.  Other than that, some laptop surgery might be in order to replace the wifi adapter with a faster, newer adapter, but, you would have to know whether or not the laptop manufacturer has built in a white list for equipment.  Install anything that isn't on that white list and the laptop won't boot.

If your looking at replacing any equipment, look for devices that are MU-MIMO capable.  That will ensure that the device wifi adapter supports higher data rates to start with, and allows you to use the MU-MIMO capability of the AC3100.  MU-MIMO modems and routers transmit simultaneously to 4 devices, and receive responses from them one at a time.  That simultaneous broadcast capability results in a very high out bound data rate.  The router tracks the location of the devices and cooks the transmissions to broadcast the appropriate data stream to 4 devices simultaneously, wherever those devices are located with respect to the routers fixed location.  

So, hope this helps.  I suspect that you might be at the max data rate for your location.  It all depends on what you see for available channels, if any, in that upper 149 to 161 channel range.  Channel 165 would only be available if you set the bandwidth to 20 Mhz, which would automatically limit the data rate.    

Edit:  One factor that may not be clear in the above post are the results of the individual wifi adapters and antenna in each device.  While the router may be able to support 4 antenna (4 data stream) operation, it would take a 4 antenna remote device to receive all 4 data streams, so, that means running another router in bridge mode or repeater mode, or installing the Asus PCE AC-88 wifi adapter in a desktop for example.  Most laptops have one or two antenna installed, some Macs have three antenna installed.  So, the number of antenna in that remote device also comes into play, along with the signal levels, signal to noise ratios and competing wifi modems and routers. 

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/PCE-AC88/

I Plan to Stick Around

Again thank you for the in depth information and I will go thru.the settings tonight with the WiFi bands.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Tonight I had some speed issues with the modem as my download speed was hovering around 350Mbps...Called tech support and reset my profile; Ethernet connection speed is now back to around 870Mbps; however, my WiFi speed is still only around 630Mbps...I already did a factory reset on my Asus Router. Well I am still happy with the current speed.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RNEric one more item to check for the wifi, for the 2.4 Ghz network, set the bandwidth to 20/40.  For the 5 Ghz, set the bandwidth to 20/40/80 or 20/40/80/160 if the AC3100 has that available.  The slower wifi rate might make sense when you check the wifi environment and see who else you're competing with for clear channels.  It might be possible that 630Mbps via wifi is simply the best that you can do considering any wifi channel competition running nearby.  That's not a terrible result however 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

I noticed my IPv6 is disabled on my Asus Router. Should I leave it disabled?

Thank you.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is entirely up to you.  It depends on whether or not you would benefit from running IPV6.  If you or anyone in your family is a gamer and happen to play XBox Electronic Arts games, then you have to disable IPv6 in order for one on one games to run as they should.  IPV6 does away with IPV4 port forwarding, but, interestingly, Microsoft still uses Teredo instead of pure IPV6 for matchmaking purposes.  So, in theory, IPV6 should be a great thing for gaming, but, I don't think we're there just yet.  I don't believe that the Sony Playstations support IPV6 yet, but, don't quote me on that one. 

There are a few sites around that are strictly IPV6, but, I haven't done any research to determine what they are or if they are worth visiting.

If you use OpenDNS for Family Filtering, IPV6 blows that away as it bypasses the "IPV4" Family Filtering.  OpenDNS only provides address resolution for IPV6 addresses, without any user specified filtering.  There is a new Domain Name Service, Quad 9, which is a consortium of IBM and other companies which will provide malware/spyware address filtering for both IPV4 and IPV6.  

As far as I know, Rogers DNS is only for address resolution without any checks for malware/spyware sites and other categories.  

In terms of user security, each user has to determine if they are satisfied using Rogers DNS, or if they prefer other DNS services which will provide some level of filtering for sites which might pose some type of thread thru malware or spyware or other objectionable content. 

Edit:  In terms of the Asus AC3100, you might see a performance drop for IPV6 due to the AI Protection.  You would have to run IPV4 and IPV6 speedtests using the Xfinity speedtest with the AI Protection enabled and disabled.  It looks like AI Protection uses Site Reputation for part of or perhaps all of its determination for IPV4 sites, so, it might not run packet scans for IPV4 packets from those sites.  Its all closed source, so, no one outside of Trend Micro really knows what it does.  For IPV6 however, my guess is that AI Protection runs packet scans instead of relying on Site Reputation.  So, at least on a speedtest, you will see a difference in IPV6 data rates, with the AI Protection switched ON or OFF.   That should reflect real world results as well when you visit IPV6 enabled sites. 

I'm Here A Lot

Rogers Gigabit Internet Problem

Hello there,

Today, I just changed my internet to Rogers 1 Gigabit Unlimited. After the modem setup, I checked my speed but I am reading 150 Mbps on wireless and 250 Mbps on the ethernet connection.

I checked the forum and I did whatever it has been suggested and they did not work at all.

I live near Yonge and Eglinton and I did the test afternoon time which is not peak time.

I am open to any suggestions rather than to call a service tech. 

Thank you.

PS: I also work as a telecommunication engineer in Toronto. You can give me full detailed info in order to understand and solve the issue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Krombacher35 are you running the CODA-4582 in Gateway mode, connecting directly to it, or running it in Bridge mode with a follow on router?  

There are a group of customers who run into slow data rate issues. If you look at the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab, you should see that one of the Downstream OFDM channels is active and that the other isn't.  That tells you that the modem is running DOCSIS 3.1.  For some reason, that group of customers with DOCSIS 3.1 running see slow data rates.  Whether its a noise ingress issue with the OFDM channel, problems with OFDM processing due to any noise or due to other reasons, its causing issues that haven't been resolved yet.  So, its too early to know if your in that group, but, I'm bringing it up as it does occur.  

Can you navigate to the STATUS.... DOCSIS WAN tab, select or highlight all of the text data within the Downstream and Upstream table, top to bottom, copy it and then paste it into a post.  The copy and paste process will paste in the contents of the table and it should end up looking like the table itself.  Ignore the data above the Downstream section, as that isn't required.  I'm wondering if you have any DOCSIS 3.0 channels running in the 200 to 300 Mhz range, where the DOCSIS 3.1 channel operates.  That might provide some info on the possible state of the signal level at those frequencies.  The OFDM data within the table isn't displayed correctly as far as I know and can't be relied upon for troubleshooting purposes.