Difference Between Legacy Internet and Ignite

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Difference Between Legacy Internet and Ignite

@gordow wrote:

57, any difference in legacy and ignite cabling!

What "cabling" are you referring to?

The only coax cabling in an "Ignite" installation is the incoming Rogers service from the street, and that coax cable gets patched directly to your Ignite XB6 gateway.  That's the "Ignite Internet" part.

All of the other coax outlets in your home will get disconnected.  They are not needed anymore.  The Legacy Digital TV and Home Phone services will be need to migrated to Ignite TV and Ignite Home Phone.

Ignite TV is a streaming service that runs on top of Ignite Internet, and the Ignite TV set-top boxes connect to the Ignite gateway using WiFi.  (The Ignite TV set-top boxes also have an Ethernet port for network connectivity.)

The Ignite TV set-top boxes connect to a TV using HDMI.  They do not have any analog video outputs nor do they have any other analog or digital audio outputs; only an HDMI connection.  I believe the Rogers techs can provide you with an "HDMI to Composite video" converter if you have an older TV.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gordow wrote:

57, any difference in legacy and ignite cabling!

Yes & No. Both Legacy and Ignite have RF-coax feeding the modem/router, however, on Legacy, RF-coax also fed each TV box, whereas there is only one RF-coax to the single Ignite modem/router that then typically wirelessly feeds the various IgniteTV boxes, although some people may connect these boxes via Ethernet.  So, one RF-coax connection instead of several on Legacy.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I presently have the legacy 500M internet and am moving over to the Ignite 500M. I have to change out my internet modem for a new Ignite modem. If there is no difference, why would I have to change out the hardware?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Crewze wrote:

I presently have the legacy 500M internet and am moving over to the Ignite 500M. I have to change out my internet modem for a new Ignite modem. If there is no difference, why would I have to change out the hardware?

Welcome to the Community!

The Ignite XB6 gateway has special support that makes it easier to connect Ignite TV set-top boxes.  It also supports Ignite Pods for extending your WiFi coverage and has telephone ports for Ignite Home Phone.  All of these components were designed to work together as an integrated solution.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Except they don't.  Cancel that order and keep your legacy box.  I wish I did.  I have a large house and had reliable fast internet throughout my property from just the coda modem.  Now with the XB6 and 3 pods I have terrible coverage, frequent dropouts of internet service and slow speeds as the pods only output 150mbps.  Overall, Rogers wasted ALOT of money buying this new system.  I have been fighting to get something done for 7 months now and it's still the same.  Been through 3 different reps at the "office of the president" after me not taking their "deal" each time I get the silent treatment.  It's awesome.  A customer who wants to stay with their company because up until getting this system I was a happy customer for almost 20 years.  Now, they just keep passing the buck.  HOWEVER, I keep upping the ante now with the CCTS.  I have to protect my interests.  I should have never assigned my family rogers.com emails.  Now, I am stuck fighting to get some reliability and speed from this garbage system.