cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference Between Legacy Internet and Ignite

Jawed
I plan to stick around

I recently upgraded to the gigabit plan. The Rogers employee on the phone said that I prevously had legacy Internet, which I've never heard of before. After switching to gigabit, I requested to be shipped the new XB6 modem. Which will arrive soon. However, I'm still confused as to what the difference really is between legacy and ignite Internet. On the website, it mentions something about ignite being fiber. I thought only Bell had fiber. I had to get the upgrade because my Internet has been poor recently. There's three situations that have been happeing - download speed slow/upload speed only .05 Mbps when I was paying for 300/20. The second situation is that the Internet cuts out for hours and works for 15-20 minutes. The final situation is that during off peak hours, I'm getting fast speeds but nowhere near what I used to get a few weeks ago. The technician came a few days ago and said nothing was wrong from the outside, as he couldn't enter the house because of the virus precation. If any of you have ever noticed your Internet cutting out intermittently or giving slower speeds and the technician said nothing is wrong from the outside, what could it be? 

***Added Labels***

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Difference Between Legacy Internet and Ignite

Thats a really odd one.
Generally that I know of, a furnace should not interfere that way.

That its metal, etc in itself would cause some just being say directly on the opposite side of it.
But that property should not change from it being off/on.
The motor running.. yes there should be a bit more of a EM fields on it.. but again, that SHOULDNT interfere, its by default not using anything near the frequency range that wifi runs on.

does the furnace have a wifi thermostat?  Is that anywhere near the modem/pod??
Wonder if when its talking its causing too much interference? (it shouldnt tho, as its usually more just a router type device which would have interference due to stronger antennas).

Does the modem itself stay up when it comes on? and just the wifi drops?
Wonder if something like the furnace and your modem is on the same power breaker and somehow when there is the more draw for the furnace when it comes on that its taking power from the modem??

adan367
I've been around

Hi all. Please note that the Ignite is a SCAM from Rogers to limit your use of the data! The new modem is a cheap worse than the one before! They will tell you cannot go back to previous service. You will rip your hair off with connectivity on wifi and older device are not even detecting the new modem! Do not upgrade!  Thank you for your attention

There is no data limits etc... (unless I miss understand how/what your saying about that part).

The current modem is using much newer technology that the previous one.  That its better/worse.. that can be subjective.
In terms of the modem part, what its capabilities for newer/faster speeds and future proofing, etc, it will be ahead of the previous ones.
As for quality/range compared to the others?? Its about the same.. still pretty poor compared to many 3rd party routers (but those often run $200 or more).

As for things like connectivity.
This is due to Band Steering.  Many people were often confused by having 2 wireless networks, so band steering on, will try and let the modem then direct it to the best possible choice (either 2.4 or 5ghz bands) based on the device. 
The problem is some older devices which only support 2.4ghz, it doesnt always connect properly (it tries on the 5 for some reason and fails).
It appears that band steering can be disabled, but you can NOT have any of the pods in place though. (As I guess they ONLY support band steering on).  
But the pods were not available on the previous modems anyways, so it really no different in that regards. (could just choose to not use the pods)

Topic Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 12 in conversation