cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create App password

eltbrown
I've been here awhile

When I tried to generate an App password to connect to Outlook.

I receive the following message:

Something went wrong on our end. Please try again later.

I tried calling Rogers Support I was told I would have to wait between 20 to 30 mins...

Not happy!

**Labels Added**

434 REPLIES 434

Re: Can't create App password

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor

My cousin in Florida is with Cox. Their second level tech support told him that Cox will not deal with Yahoo for email as Bellsouth, att&t and Rogers do, as Yahoo has a history of severe security problems involving not only spam but phishing issues, which make their servers especially vulnerable to ransom ware. I think we all need to do whatever we can to get this problem solved asap. Someone else on this thread has mentioned how insecure Yahoo servers are. But I never suspected just how dangerous and insecure Yahoo servers could be. That Rogers has allowed this problem to continue and fester for at least a month now without any estimated resolution date is really irresponsible and communicates a level of contempt for its customers that I had not previously seen.

mike905
I've been here awhile

This is still happening to me.  Its been over 3 weeks now.

image.png

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This just happened to me.  I got a new computer and the app PW for my wife's Outlook vanished during the transition, which was handled by a professional. 

Luckily for me, my Outlook is still working.  I cannot generate an app PW for her, even though I'm on MS365.   I tried to go to the Account Information - Authorized Applications to get my "old" one back, but that "application" is "locked" and I can't get to the previous app PW. I then tried to generate a new one and got the error message, as indicated in previous posts.     Is there any way to "see/copy" the previous app PW?

Rogers, you really need to get this resolved.

chdiamo1
Many people over the past 3 weeks on this thread have been telling Rogers that they really have to fix this problem. But Rogers has NOT fixed the problem. So, the question is, what can we do when Rogers has not fixed the problem and to date has not expressed any interest in fixing this problem? Knowing there is nothing we can or probably will do means Rogers will not make this a priority. Indeed, hasn’t Rogers just gotten more powerful with its merger with another ISP? Why would they care if we need a problem fixed or not?

I would suggest complaining or describing the problem and how it impacts you on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit ... etc. I think they will only resolve this once they start receiving bad publicity and more people that just those in this community see the problem and how it impacts their customers.

Why is Rogers not communicating anything regarding the failure of the App Password Generator? All I see are posts from people in the same position as I, trying to get Outlook working! But Rogers seems oddly silent on the issue! Why is that?

ATP13
I plan to stick around

Using webmail is hardly a solution when we use email clients linked across devices and with calendars, etc.

chdiamo1
Do any of the moderators reading all our posts have any influence with Rogers? Perhaps it will take a serious security breach affecting millions before Yahoo and Rogers fix this problem. Or, perhaps Yahoo and Rogers really don’t care. There seems to be no consequences for Rogers or Yahoo for not getting this problem solved. Indeed, they’re (Rogers) getting rewarded with a merger by the Government of Canada!!!

ATP13
I plan to stick around

jgpuckering
I plan to stick around

@ATP13 No, it has not been ongoing for 10 months.  It was working 5 weeks ago, as others on this thread will attest to.  That Reddit post only shows that it may have also been broken 10 months ago.  It doesn’t establish that it’s been broken ever since, which is what you imply.

According to the Reddit post, trying to create an app password result in the message is that it’s “not working for the moment”.  That’s not the same message we are seeing now, and if accurate that message implies a temporary outage.  What we get is “something went wrong on our end”, which is an error message not an information message.

dodo5
I've been here awhile
It's possible I should thank Rogers. I am finally getting off my butt and ditching my Rogers email. I have spent tons of $$ just to keep this email account over the years. And I can't even use it now. Don't mention "webmail" to me. I don't even live in a Rogers internet service area and have had to convince (ie pay) my daughter in Toronto to keep a Rogers account. I'm moving on , saving money and especially aggravation.

ATP13
I plan to stick around

Jgpuckering,

We can argue semantics - 10 months ago in the US Yahoo was having a similar situation, with posts ranging all the way to a few months ago with no resolution . The message they had gotten may be different as they are not with Rogers. So what. 5 weeks already is still a long time to not figure out how to authenticate an app. Heck, switch over to Microsoft Authenticator for all that it is. Effectively they are not working on a solution.

I would have switched to some other email provider after this issue cropped up, but guess what? I can't even set Yahoo webmail to autoforward emails.

I also can't figure out a way to auto forward. If I could it would be a great help.

Auto-Forwarding was discontinued in 2021.  Yahoo says you can upgrade to get this feature, but it's not available on Rogers/Yahoo.

Previous thread on the topic:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Email-Forwarding-rogers-com-email-address/m-p/494386/...

https://ca.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Awrig1p9fSxkmTIAS0zqFAx.;_ylc=X1MDMjExNDcyMTAwMgRfcgMyBGZyA3...

• Beginning January 15, 2021, automatic forwarding of emails from your Yahoo inbox to another email account will no longer be a feature of free Yahoo Mail accounts

eugenios
I plan to stick around

Over a month now of this misery still no eat and no service.....

eugenios
I plan to stick around

Ok so here is an update that seems to be quite interesting.... One of my clients called Rogers Tech Support Yesterday and the tech was knowledgeable on the problem. So he had my client login and try to crate the app password this of course failed. But the Tech put them on hold then came back and gave them a new application password that could be used in outlook.

The client placed this password in and voila emails in and out joy in Outlook Again.

So it can be fixed but kind of makes a secure password pointless.

but a result i guess.

stevemills
I've been here awhile

.... and I think it is about to get worse.   I bought a new laptop, and like many others am having the issue of not being able to generate a password to use Outlook.   

I have delayed migrating to the new laptop until this gets fixed and have been using the old one for now.  Until today, and now Outlook is asking for the password to my Rogers smtp account..   the password is auto generated but it is not working.  ..and I am not receiving any incoming mail in Outlook.  I wonder if this is now an elevated issue where they have purged even the current generated passwords.  I checked my Rogers member center for the "Authorized Applications"  which used to have 4 accounts.. and now has none!  Empty!!   So I don't think any of my devices will work and I have to resort to only RogersYahoo.    HORRIBLE!

chdiamo1

Eugenios, do you know the name of the Rogers' technician that created a one time third party application security code for you? The rest of us should get this same service. I let the Microsoft Community Forums know about this problem in their Outlook forum, since this affects a Microsoft application. Imagine spending $150-or whatever it is now-for Outlook 2023 or buying a new laptop (or in some cases a "tower" or "desktop", as we old timers refer to the antique non-portable heavy, bulky computers that seem now days to be used only in businesses.) and not be able to install Outlook or other apps needing this now impossible to obtain code- EXCEPT in the case of one Rogers tech person with one person in this thread.

The application password is a pain in the, using Outlook or other email client, pushing us to webmail, so Rogers can throw advertising at us.  The phase-out is driven by revenue, not concerns over my security.

We are being pushed to webmail so that Rogers can deliver unwanted advertising alongside our email.  It is about revenue, derived from trying to sell you something, not about security.  Make it hard enough to get Outlook to work, and everyone eventually gives ups and accepts the inevitable deluge of adverts just to get your email.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@martinsingh wrote:

We are being pushed to webmail so that Rogers can deliver unwanted advertising alongside our email. 

I highly doubt that this was done intentionally to force people to view ads.  Anyone who works with Outlook or other affected e-mail client may put up with Webmail temporarily, however, if this is not resolved "soon", they will move their e-mail to say Gmail or other to get back to Outlook. I know that I would.

Rogers does not intentionally make customers angry and they are working on getting this resolved, although I don't know why it's taking so long (5 weeks already).