cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create App password

eltbrown
I've been here awhile

When I tried to generate an App password to connect to Outlook.

I receive the following message:

Something went wrong on our end. Please try again later.

I tried calling Rogers Support I was told I would have to wait between 20 to 30 mins...

Not happy!

**Labels Added**

410 REPLIES 410

Re: Can't create App password

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor

So, if Yahoo doesn't plan to fix the problem, is there a workaround from Microsoft for its Outlook? Imagine people buying Outlook and finding out they can't use it!!

eugenios
I plan to stick around

Nothing that i am aware of...

jgpuckering
I plan to stick around
@chdiamo1 wrote:
So, if Yahoo doesn't plan to fix the problem...

We don't know that this is Yahoo's problem to fix.  The agent I spoke with yesterday did not know whether the root cause had been determined yet.  It could be on the Roger's side.  It could be on Yahoo's.  It could be in between (e.g. in an open source library).  All he could tell me is that Yahoo had said they hadn't made any changes, and that as far as Roger's knew they hadn't either.  As I've suggested in other posts, I suspect this has something to do with security libraries being changed -- probably to plug security vulnerabilities.  The plumbing between Yahoo and Rogers would rely on Rogers passing a users credentials over to Yahoo over some protocol like SSL.  If either side upgraded a library, such as OpenSSL, in order to address a serious security vulnerability, and the other side is lagging behind, it might cause a problem like this.  There are many possibilities.  It's not simple.  If it was, it would have been fixed already.

@chdiamo1 wrote:

...is there a workaround from Microsoft for its Outlook? 

Not yet.  All app passwords stopped working, and the Generate feature is broken so we can't generate new ones.  That means all apps that rely on app passwords including Windows email clients such as Outlook and Thunderbird, and the archive utility MailStore, and some older versions of Mac Mail, are dead in the water until Generate is fixed.

Understand that this App Password thing was introduced years ago as a workaround to some problem I don't yet understand.  I wish I could talk to a developer at Rogers.  Anyway, at first it was needed for all apps, including iOS apps.  Since then, they've eliminated the need for it in most apps.  Outlook on iOS, for example, works fine without an app password.  

It may be tempting to just think Rogers doesn't care, or that Yahoo is to blame.  But the realities of modern software engineering are more complex than you can imagine and scenarios like this can happen for reasons other than corporate politics or indifference to customers.  My guess is this issue is on some senior manager's radar and the people working on it are on the hot seat until it's fixed.

It's frustrating, I agree.  Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

mohant1
I've been here awhile

same here unable to get Rogers to sort out the issue for the past 3 weeks

sorry state here

dodo5
I've been here awhile
Very annoying indeed. How will we know it's fixed if ever? Just keep checking every day. And I did generate a password only a few months ago

jgpuckering
I plan to stick around

@dodo5 wrote:
How will we know it's fixed if ever? Just keep checking every day?

The agent told me I could send an email via Rogers: Share a Concern.  These, he says, are taken very seriously by management.  He also said, if I recall correctly, that if you ask to be notified when it is fixed they might do so.

You can try that, but I wouldn't count on it. 

Likely the quickest and most reliable way is to login and try it yourself. 

Alternatively, you could subscribe to the Community and read any notifications you get on this topic to see if someone reports it as fixed.

chdiamo1
Thank you jgpuckering. Your contributions are really very helpful. The interconnectedness and complexity of software codes might well be the explanation. If your analysis is correct, I wouldn’t want to be the senior engineer responsible for fixing this mess!

eugenios
I plan to stick around

still not working today...... 

chdiamo1
Do we know if Microsoft or other companies whose applications are affected by this inability to obtain a one time security code, have been contacted re a workaround? People who have bought applications that won’t work without a one time application security code can’t be very happy about their inability to use what they paid for!

eugenios
I plan to stick around

No Workaround even if Rogers like to say its a Microsoft Issue... of which it is not. its most email clients Outlook,Thunderbird Etc.

dcameron
I've been around
Same issue and it’s been a month now. They are not sure if it will ever get fixed I’m told and I’m an outlook 365 user. All my mail is filed and sorted for last 30 years. They are saying they can’t support this anymore. Unreal.

chdiamo1

You pay for Outlook 365 but can't use it because Yahoo servers won't provide a password that can no longer be generated and there's nothing no one can do about it!! That is worse than unreal. Someone owes you some money. Can we get this issue published somewhere? This can't be allowed to continue. 

jgpuckering
I plan to stick around

@chdiamo1 CNET perhaps?  They publish articles about things like this all the time.

brockmcginnis
I've been here awhile

I've been pursuing the same issue...and had an immediate and helpful response through the RogersHelps social media team after tagging the company president's personal account on Twitter.  🙂   The individual assisting me via Twitter DM was great to work with and spent a lot of time with me. He first verified my Outlook version - which is current, proving the issue is not limited to old or out-of-date email clients. He then suggested switching my Yahoo settings from POP to IMAP, but (at least on a Mac) that wasn't successful. He then tried to change my password at his end (after changing it at my end failed).  But ultimately concluded I had continue to use webmail on my desktop and laptop while Yahoo comes up with a solution to their problem. Bottom line is...Rogers knows about the problem but - like all of us - is waiting for Yahoo to solve it.

chdiamo1
There must be people in other parts of North America and the world that use Yahoo servers experiencing this very same problem. My sister in Florida uses bellsouth.net as her ISP, which also uses Yahoo servers for their email. She uses webmail so isn’t affected by this one time application security code. Can someone explain to me why Yahoo or Rogers or Microsoft can’t just remove this application security code requirement and let people decide for themselves if they can get by without this debilitating requirement that obviously is broken? Once-if ever- Yahoo fixes the problem, then we can be offered the option of this extra security step. As it is now, we can’t access this extra security anyway since it’s broken.

jjcollins
I've been here awhile

Fri: Emailed RMO.

Mon: RMO contacted me by phone but did not understand the issue or have knowledge of Rogers Member Centre.  They spoke to a Tech person who confimed it was a yahoo problem and they were dependent on them.  I gave them a week to resolve or call me back and cancel my service.

Tue: RMO called again (new person but repeat of the Monday call).  Adam from Montreal suggested I provide my password so someone at Rogers could debug the issue.  I refused.   Created another ticket and escalating to the 'back office'.

Wed: Automated phone call requesting I contact Rogers to provide them more info.  Ignored.

Thu (tomorrow): I expect Rogers to waste more of my time. 

chdiamo1

I can't understand why someone in the president's office at Rogers can't fix this with Yahoo or just get out of the contract and have Rogers itself generate these unique codes or make them unnecessary. If Rogers has a contract with Yahoo to provide services, either Yahoo provides the services or releases Rogers from the contract-or whatever needs to be done. What about Rogers' customers?

eugenios
I plan to stick around

Still not Working 30-30-23

chdiamo1

jg, I think eugenios says it looks like they can't fix it because the problem has existed for a month and there is no ETA. The longer people can't re-setup their Outlook or Thunderbird or other apps, the less likely the problem will ever be fixed. It is obviously not a problem as far as Yahoo or Rogers is concerned or the solution would've been found or the requirement for a one time security code removed. We will be discussing this problem next month and the month after that, or that's what it seems like.

eugenios
I plan to stick around

i recall when they was rolling out this solution. it changed in waves i presume based on geographic regions as i had client in some areas using their plain old password still. Then they implemented it and i got lots of calls to fix the issue. it is possible we are only being affected in a region but this still makes not difference it should have been fixed by now... i am advising my clients to move off rogers email and host email on their  own domains. This of course will result in changes to letter heads and business cards etc,,,, i am also advising them to send the Bill to Rogers

dfaddf
I've been here awhile

Might be a blessing in disguise for me, after all... had the same email address with rogers for 20+ years, since it was an @ home.com address, and I've been kind of trapped using Rogers as an ISP, TV and cellphone because I did not want to go through the pain of updating all my contacts, likely missing emails from friends that I only email every year or so, etc.  But if the Rogers email accounts no longer work, this frees me to switch over to Bell or move around according to the best pricing and deal.  Its going to be a pita, but in the end its freeing me up to chase down better service and deals.