cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bufferbloat

mabroor-bajwa
I plan to stick around

Hi there,

I just had a question about my rogers modem. I have been dealing with issues with latency on ethernet for months please see below for my current network setup. I have a number of devices connected to a gigabit switchboard and multiple access points setup for WIFI that are connected to my switchboard as well. That switchboard is connected directly to my rogers modem.

mabroorbajwa_0-1674490173387.jpeg

I am running tests and I found that I am getting bufferbloat. This is the test I am running 

https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat 

and here is the result while connecting directly to the modem and disconnecting my switch board.

mabroorbajwa_1-1674490173592.png

I constantly get ratings of a F. I was wondering if getting a router that managed my network traffic better or had some built in sqm/QoS vs just using the rogers modem would help reduce latency/jitter on my network.

*** Labels Added ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bufferbloat

RogersCorey

Greeting @mabroor-bajwa!

Bridging your own router to our modem will give you more control over your network. It wouldn't hurt to try. If it doesn't work to resolve this issue, you can always return the router.

Regards,

RogersCorey

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RogersCorey

Greeting @mabroor-bajwa!

Bridging your own router to our modem will give you more control over your network. It wouldn't hurt to try. If it doesn't work to resolve this issue, you can always return the router.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

it might be something else... bad signal to the router? or something local like a problem at a node, etc.

I just ran it from my desktop, which goes through two swiches... and got a B rating, and even got a C rating on wireless.

Groundrod
I've been around

I was having bandwidth issues that caused latency and speed throttling to all my devices and after many hours of trouble shooting I discovered what the problem was.

QoS!

If you have more that one device on your network using QoS  your network bandwidth will not be distributed properly.

The symptoms are latency and throttling.

So the solution is to shut off all but one QoS service in the network, easy right?

Unfortunately, if you have unmanaged switches and a gateway with blocked out settings how do you fix it?

I didn't want any more boxes so my solution is to only use one port on the gateway switch to my external switch and connected all my devices to the external switch.

Since QoS is designed to manage multiple connections having only one will not trigger the gateway switch QoS and effectively disables it.

I now get proper distribution of my bandwidth with out buying a router and bridging the gateway.

So just get an external switch with enough ports for your network and your done!

Cheers!

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation