Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting in Sept. - Price Increase for Each Additional Ignite Entertainment Box

Rjagger
I've been here awhile

Now the Extra boxes are going up to $17 per month....Bell is still at $8

***Added Labels***

106 REPLIES 106

Re: Starting in Sept. - Price Increase for Each Additional Ignite Entertainment Box

Flavour1
I'm an enthusiast

I agree 100% the price keeps going up. As Rogers or any other TV provider is only the provider of the signal or what is broadcast and now with streaming services.

regular broadcast tv is horrible hardly any new shows and the speciality channels are all full of old shows and repeats. 

Everybody is complaining about this price increase with Entertaiment boxes, then there are all kinds of providers out there. The consumer has choices and options, when Rogers starts to lose business because people go elsewhere, maybe they will wake up.

Re: Starting in Sept. - Price Increase for Each Additional Ignite Entertainment Box

fwd1955
I plan to stick around

@CommunityHelps   You have been asked several times to comment on this issue over the past several weeks. Crickets! If you have no further information, or are unwilling/unable to provide a comment, please just say so. This is a huge issue for many subscribers, we deserve some clarity, yet your silence speaks volumes. 

Flavour1
I'm an enthusiast

Very well said, they may something said when 1000’s upon 1000’s exodus from being subscribers of Rogers

Flavour1
I'm an enthusiast

Maybe the rental increase for the Ignite entertainment boxes is due to the John Kraniski ( Jack Ryan) dancing to Taylor Swift’s “Shake it Off” commercial on Lake Simcoe

asturias7
I plan to stick around

😂  😏

Stephr
I've been around
I’ve been with Shaw since 1979. Last time during my 2 year plan Shaw increased my time shift charge a couple of bucks because it was apparently an increase in the cost of the channel so I just paid it. Now on my next 2 year plan Shaw together with Roger’s is increasing the cost of my second box by $7 per month plus tax. I called today and was told that’s how it is. I feel Shaw/ Roger’s tries to provide good customer service overall but don’t feel it is fair to increase the monthly charges for equipment that was said to be included in my monthly cost. Disappointing

fatiguée
I've been around

I just contacted Rogers to ask for a justification for this scandalous price increase.  I had to ask FIVE times in order to get an answer.  The answer was "rising cost to deliver technology".  The usual vague generic answer to every price increase.  And, to have the additional box(es) removes, you need to contact Rogers and get a "return waybill label" before returning them.  I'm disgusted with Rogers.  My price for my one additional box is going up from $8 to $17.  That's a 112.5% increase.  Is there not anything we can do about this??

bkbarry
I've been here awhile

Applied disproportionately according to the number of extra boxes you have. Those that don't have extra boxes aren't impacted. The only way they can draw additional revenue from term customers is to raise costs on month to month items such as the boxes. Seems like many customers will be returning extra boxes. 

Flavour1
I'm an enthusiast

Agreed. With technology we are not dealing with the old days of the Digital platform which is being phased out or when there were no boxes and you could use a splitter. ( but with limited channels. We now have the internet, Bluetooth, Chromecast and Airplay.

The Rogers Ignite TV app downloaded to a mobile device (iPhone, IPad) will be your second, third or fourth boxes, when connected through your wifi  andTV with Chromecast (separate device or built to the TV.) Live TV, schedule recordings, set to recording, networks, browsing , on demand  is still available, except the app section on Ignite( most of these you can download to a mobile device.

We all have alternatives now. We returned our second box shortly after is was installed a few years ago. And we are on month to month, never on a term, when you go and renew the answer from Rogers that isn’t available anymore and usually the price has gone up.

Everybody with Rogers Ignite has choices and Alternatives, we did save $156 + taxes a year and would never look back

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One limitation to keep in mind:  You can have up to 10 active set-top boxes in your home.  However, with the Ignite TV app, according to the FAQ, you can only have a maximum of 5 active streams at any given time, up to two of which can be outside of the home.

Flavour1
I'm an enthusiast

I think from the complaints and conversations on this forum subscribers are not pleased with 17% monthly increase for additional boxes. My brother got Ignite TV when it was first introduced $5 a month per additional box when we signed $10 a month per additional box, ( we have dropped down to the one that is included and cast to second tv) now going up to $17 per additional box. As I have mentioned before we dropped the second box and dropped Stingray Plus now we have $156 + plus tax a month in our pocket and not Rogers.

This isn’t the old days of digital where yes you had to have a digital terminal for each Tv to receive the channels you are subscribed.

Is the box the same as the original ones? Does the box do more than the original ones?

We have the internet, WiF, now Smart TV’s, casting ( Chromecast, Airplay) there are alternatives. 

Rogers has been very quiet as one member said silence (crickets) .you can’t just say because of technology and spending money on new growth. Since we signed onto Ignite with our Flex 10 package I haven’t seen any changes to our package except Stingray music channels moving to an app ( and we save $3 a month. All day long you see people on their mobile devices start using them in place of a second or third entertainment box of instead this ridiculously priced increase. 

Rogers tells you how to do this. It is all to right complain but when you have alternatives start using them or go to another TV provider

wayner92
I'm a senior contributor

@Flavour1 wrote:

I think from the complaints and conversations on this forum subscribers are not pleased with 17% monthly increase for additional boxes.

Surely this is a typo and you meant to put in 70%, not 17%.  But even a 17% price increase is excessive for a device that was already purchased.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Flavour1 wrote:

Is the box the same as the original ones? Does the box do more than the original ones?

Rogers offered the Xi6 set-top box (manufactured by Arris) when the service launched.  They also later offered another variant of the Xi6, manufactured by Technicolor.  Two years ago, they offered the XiOne (with updated electronics) but still considered by Rogers to be functionally equivalent to the Xi6.

See here for the XiOne's upgraded specs.

It has been "leaked" that Rogers (and Comcast) will (soon?) be releasing a new set-top box, with updated next-gen Entertainment OS software, but I have not seen any additional details published anywhere.

wayner92
I'm a senior contributor

Does Rogers typically introduce new hardware at the same time as Comcast, or is there a bit of a wait?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wayner92 wrote:

Does Rogers typically introduce new hardware at the same time as Comcast, or is there a bit of a wait?

It depends.  For things like modem/gateways, Rogers lags behind because they use different vendors for their DOCSIS infrastructure and they often require additional time to test/certify/resolve interoperability issues with the new gear.  However, Rogers Ignite TV customers got the XiOne set-top box long before Xfinity TV customers did.  (Comcast restricted the initial rollout of the XiOne to Xfinity Flex customers.)

naomi1231
I've been around

How can they just do a price increase like this. I singed a contract with them and they should honor it. I understand if I was getting something new but like for existing users, this should NOT be allowed.  I have made a complaint to the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/). Other should also make a complaint.  Hopefully, there will a fair resolution to this.

asturias7
I plan to stick around

Don't ask me what my source is, but I've been told the new technology should start rolling out to Rogers customers starting in January 2025. *PS: Don't shoot the messenger, thanks. 🙏

Flavour1
I'm an enthusiast

That what I meant 70% sorry

wayner92
I'm a senior contributor

@asturias7 wrote:

Don't ask me what my source is, but I've been told the new technology should start rolling out to Rogers customers starting in January 2025. *PS: Don't shoot the messenger, thanks. 🙏

By that you mean the new Entertainment OS devices and features?

asturias7
I plan to stick around

Apparently that's what he (my source) was referring to. The Ignite TV box will most likely be replaced by the Xumo Stream Box (probably rebranded with another name), and the 10G wireline internet gateway, as well as a Storm-Ready WiFi product will also be slowly rolling out to customers. I have a feeling though that it will take months if not a full year for these products (and services) to be available to all Rogers customers.

wayner92
I'm a senior contributor

Will Entertainment OS require a new Gateway?  I would have assumed that you can use the XB8 Gateway.  And I have mine in Bridge mode so I don't care about Wifi, or other networking functionality of the Gateway.  I am just wondering what the new TV product will look like.

IMO, we should get an unbundling of TV service and a wire into your house with dedicated hardware.  IgniteTV should be a service like YouTubeTV in the US - I pay for the service and I use my own devices like a phone, AndroidTV box, TV with Smart OS to watch that service.  But I wonder if we are going there.  I am getting very close to getting rid of Rogers and going elsewhere.

Topic Stats