Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting in Sept. - Price Increase for Each Additional Ignite Entertainment Box

Rjagger
I've been here awhile

Now the Extra boxes are going up to $17 per month....Bell is still at $8

***Added Labels***

106 REPLIES 106

Re: Starting in Sept. - Price Increase for Each Additional Ignite Entertainment Box

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rjagger wrote:

Now the Extra boxes are going up to $17 per month....Bell is still at $8

What area are you in???  I just checked pricing for the latest Ignite TV bundles and it still shows additional set-top boxes costing $10/month.

Package Includes:

- 1 Ignite Entertainment TM Box rental (additional rentals are $10/mo each)

- 200 hours of Cloud Storage (recordings stored for up to 1 year)

$17/month is an insanely high price, especially considering that the non-return fee for an Ignite (XiOne or Xi6) set-top box is $120, and even that would more than cover Rogers' costs for the box.

Re: Starting in Sept. - Price Increase for Each Additional Ignite Entertainment Box

Rjagger
I've been here awhile

In Toronto, they said the Boxes are to $17 in September 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rjagger wrote:

In Toronto, they said the Boxes are to $17 in September 

"They said"?  Do you have a link or was this from someone you were talking to or what? Please provide details of how/where you heard of this. I have also checked all the various packages on Rogers' website and see nothing except $10/mo for additional boxes. I also checked a few of my recent bills.

Even $10/mo is high for this type of box.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

$17!!!  So, I found the following when I logged into MyRogers and clicked on the "TV - Manage" button.  I do not normally go to that section since there should be nothing new there.  This is very concerning and I hope it's a "mistake". It may take the mods a few minutes to approve my screenshot.

I've received no notification in my bills which I download and check each month from the Overview section.

@CommunityHelps can you confirm or deny/clarify?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

$17!!!  So, I found the following when I logged into MyRogers and clicked on the "TV - Manage" button.  I do not normally go to that section since there should be nothing new there.  This is very concerning and I hope it's a "mistake". It may take the mods a few minutes to approve my screenshot.

I've received no notification in my bills which I download and check each month from the Overview section.

@CommunityHelps can you confirm or deny/clarify?

YIKES!!!  I see the same.  Maybe it only applies to new set-top boxes that get added to the account?

There were no notifications of any price increases on my August bill.  However, I also sure do hope that this does not get applied to all customers, for all their set-top boxes, even those with grandfathered discounts.

I remember back when Ignite TV first launched, marketed as a premier service, and people balked at the high bundle prices, the minimum 500 Mbps Internet speed, and a $10/month STB rental fee.  They then reworked their pricing and dropped the STB rental price to $5/month, which I still think is a fair price for what is really just a mediocre set-top box with a closed feature set.  Some even lucked into getting additional Ignite set-top boxes for free.  Then the STB rental went up to $8/month, then $10.  But $17/month?  No, no, NO!  [BLEEP], NO!

asturias7
I plan to stick around

Same. What I want know is if this increase also applies to those of us who have locked-in discounts for 24 months...??? If it does, this increase is absolutely DISGUSTING by Rogers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That's what we're hoping to find out.  @hiho do you have more than 1 box because if this is correct it's for each additional box and there will be a massive outcry.

hiho
I'm an enthusiast

in total i have 3 boxes 1 that comes with the plan and 2 extra boxs  i am only charged 20 for the extra ones but with this increase ill be paying 34 in total for the xtra boxes which is really not good.

if my rate goes up will under contract can i return one of the boxes to lower my bill or will that mean that technically ill be cancling part of my contract so will i have to pay extra to possibility be changing my contract.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think we all need to take a deep breath until this is confirmed.  I'm pretty sure returning one box does not constitute a change of contract since they are a separate line item.

@CommunityHelps ??

hiho
I'm an enthusiast

kk thanks for the nfo o and i checked my last bill and no where was it mentioned about an upcoming increase also couldnt find when my 2yrs is up guesss ill have to phone in to find that  nfo

seadooxp30
I'm a reliable contributor

Any one else got this when they log into rogers account???

Starting Sept. 17, the price for each additional Ignite Entertainment Box on your account will be:
  • Streaming: $12/month + tax.
  • Bundles: $17/month + tax.

sadchel
I plan to stick around

How will this affect those of us who have deals with Rogers that include free boxes in the contract?

I have 2 free boxes -$16 on my bill 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sadchel wrote:

How will this affect those of us who have deals with Rogers that include free boxes in the contract?

I have 2 free boxes -$16 on my bill 

We honestly don't know.  The @CommunityHelps team have been tagged in a number of posts and we have asked them for clarification.  If the news was good, it would have been easy for them to post something like, "Don't worry.  The $17/month rental fee will only apply to new set-top boxes added to your account.  The pricing and discounts for your current set-top box rentals are unaffected."  That they haven't posted any such thing to date is a bit concerning.

jays77
I'm a trusted contributor

Getting into loan shark territory.  😎

wayner92
I'm a senior contributor

@seadooxp30 wrote:

Any one else got this when they log into rogers account???

Starting Sept. 17, the price for each additional Ignite Entertainment Box on your account will be:
  • Streaming: $12/month + tax.
  • Bundles: $17/month + tax.

What does streaming mean in this context?  Does this mean if you only use the IgniteTV box for streaming services like Netflix, and don't use it to watch traditional TV channels?

If so, how does it make sense to have differential pricing as the hardware is the same, is it not?

Or is Rogers and/or the industry moving to a new pricing model where they are charging licensing fees on a per TV model rather than a per household model?  But that makes little sense these days given the prevalence of watching content on your phone, tablet, etc.  And it would accelerate the cord cutting.

If Rogers ups my STB pricing then I will likely cut the cord and go to Bell.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I was able to get some clarification about this.  Apparently, what will happen is that Ignite TV customers will see a $7/month increase to the price of each additional set-top box that they rent.  As I understand it, if you are currently paying $8/month for a STB, that will increase to $15/month.  If you are currently paying $10/month, the rental price will increase to $17/month.  (Ignite TV bundles include one set-top box, so this price increase will apply to any additional set-top boxes that you rent.)

I believe that Ignite Streaming customers pay for every ignite Entertainment box on their account, and they too will see an increase to their STB rental price.

wayner92
I'm a senior contributor

How can they justify a 70% or higher increase in this price? I find it hard to believe that these boxes just went up in price by 70%?  These boxes are worth what a GoogleTV, Roku box or AppleTV would cost.  That's like $70-$150.  And they are going to be charging a montlh fee of $17?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I still didn't see anything about this in the MyRogers app, which a lot of people use.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

I still didn't see anything about this in the MyRogers app, which a lot of people use.

You will see it if you press the "Change TV package" button in the App.

Like any other significant change, I presume that we will get notified about this on our next bill.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

OK, but I don't want to change my package and you're leaving the app if you press it.  I tried pressing all the other app menu items where I thought it might be.

Topic Stats