cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Screen Goes Black Intermittently

ultinet1
I've been here awhile

We have 2 tvs and 2 Rogers Ignite boxes.  Both have the same problem.  When watching Ignite Tv suddenly the screen goes black, no sound, for about 6 seconds, then resumes the program. This happens on both tvs.  Checked connections,  Cannot resolve this problem.  Any suggestions?

***Edited Labels***

65 REPLIES 65

Re: Ignite Screen Goes Black Intermittently

I suggest contacting them via private message (click on the envelope icon next to your profile image, top-right of page). They will have you fill out a brief form to authenticate your account and then be patient as you may have to wait hours for a reply to each message.

I'm in Caledonia, south of Hamilton. This seem to be happening all over - someone from NL said they'd had the same issue. They told me today that, "an update should hopefully be pushed tonight which would remedy this issue you are facing." Typical Rogers though, not to say just what the problem is.

macman1
I plan to stick around

I have the same problem- three tbs , three ignite boxes- happens on all three. Contacted support- went through reboot of modem and all tv boxes. The agent initiated a ticket as she said she "could see" thither was a connectivity problem" in my area. I asked how big an area and it was not specified. Two days later received automated call fromRogers saying it was taking longer than expected to fix problem, I would ne updated. Problem continued to the ;point I had a one hour program interrupted 4 times bye the black scree. Now 9 day7s since first call, so called tech support again. Was told by agent this is a known issue in Ontario, New Brunswick and Newfoundland and IT working on it. She also said my ticket was "closed " the same day I received the automated call advising of the daly. The agent issued submitted another ticket and today I received a text saying there has been a delay in fixing the Ignite TV problem but technical teams are working on it.

I note many of the posts are three weeks old and that is when my problem started in New Brunswick. Has anybody received resolution to this problem in your area.

macman1
I plan to stick around

apologize for typos on previous entry - working with bandaged hand on keyboard

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@macman1  I don't have any "connectivity problems" in my area and I am still seeing my screen "going black" intermittently for five seconds with my Xi6-T set-top boxes.

macman1
I plan to stick around

@-G- I was told the issue was a "connectivity" issue by the first tech support agent 11 days ago and it was just in my local "area' without defining what "local" was. The last agent I spoke with 2 days ago told me it was a"server" issue, was widespread and IT was aware of it but no info on estimated time of fix. So, I am unsure if the agents at tech support who provide this info are given accurate information on the situation and how I get from "local connectivity" issue to "widespread server issue." If it is widespread and a server issue with IT having been working on it why do I receive  a text today saying there is a delay in fixing issue. What does Rogers mean when they say "delay"- have not received enough tickets to put on priority fix list; they know what it is but waiting for a proper piece of equipment or.....By the way I have the same set top boxes as you.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@macman1  I have seen this happen while I was viewing the Guide.  The HDMI connection between the Xi6-T set-top box and the TV drops, the screen went black for 5 seconds, then came back up again.  I was still in the Guide, the TV stream did not drop, there were no network issues at the time, and nothing on the set-top box reset.

There could very well be "connectivity" issues in your area... but it has NOTHING to do with this problem, as least not based on what I have seen happen in my home or in my parents'.

SB28
I plan to stick around

I had a tech guy come over for this problem yesterday.  He told me this fix just became available and I'm the first he tried it on.

Under Settings/Device Settings/Power Preferences -- turn HDMI Device Control(HDMI-CEC) to OFF.  It's only been 24 hrs and I haven't notice the black screen.    We'll see if it really fixes the problem.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SB28 wrote:

I had a tech guy come over for this problem yesterday.  He told me this fix just became available and I'm the first he tried it on.

Under Settings/Device Settings/Power Preferences -- turn HDMI Device Control(HDMI-CEC) to OFF.  It's only been 24 hrs and I haven't notice the black screen.    We'll see if it really fixes the problem.

Not really a fix but it is definitely plausible that this workaround could make the problem go away, and confirm the underlying cause.

macman1
I plan to stick around

I am not tech savvy.. Would you mind explaining how to find the settings you mentioned. I assume you do it on every box.

Also, if the box connects to the tv through the HDMI cable and you turn its control off, what is the connection driver between box and tv.

Thank you

jimbo_42
I've been here awhile

Hope this works for you...

But I just checked this setting on my box and it has been off since it went into service.

I still get the occasional screen drop at very random times..

SB28
I plan to stick around

press ROGERS button, scroll to right and select the wheel icon, then find the option i mentioned before.  Yes, tech guy did all tvs.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@macman1 wrote:

I am not tech savvy.. Would you mind explaining how to find the settings you mentioned. I assume you do it on every box.

Also, if the box connects to the tv through the HDMI cable and you turn its control off, what is the connection driver between box and tv.

Clearly, there is some problem with HDMI on the affected set-top boxes and by disabling HDMI Device Control (HDMI-CEC), we are turning off some of the control messages that are being sent on that link and basically now just sending digital audio and video.

The only downside to disabling HDMI Device Control is that the set-top box will no longer detect when the TV gets turned off and turn itself off as well at that time.  Instead, it will continue streaming for a few more hours until it goes to sleep after a period of inactivity.

To find the setting, press the Rogers (Menu) button, click on the Settings (gear) icon, then go to Device Settings / Power Preferences / HDMI Device Control (HDMI-CEC).  Change the setting from On to Off.

See the following post for more info: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Ignite-TV-set-top-boxes-now-support-HDMI-CEC/td-p/46...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jimbo_42 wrote:

Hope this works for you...

But I just checked this setting on my box and it has been off since it went into service.

I still get the occasional screen drop at very random times..

As I said before, this is not a fix.  If this same thing were happening with your computer, think about it as being caused by a buggy display driver, and you tweak some settings to make things more stable until a fix comes out.

I did see this very frequently at my parents' house, where HDMI-CEC was enabled on the TV and the set-top box.

I see it very infrequently at my house, on an old (but still very good) TV where HDMI-CEC does not work well, so I have HDMI Device Control disabled on the set-top box.

I can confirm this is not a fix but if this trick can make things even a little bit better, it is still worth trying.

macman1
I plan to stick around

@-G-  I do have a twist  on this  situation- since this black screen started, when using my apple tv box, and streaming from , in one particular case, Amazon Prime just this week,  during the one hour program on three occasions, a window would appear in top corner saying no connection detected (maybe no internet connection was part of message- can't recall) and the screen would go black- after the usual 5 seconds or so- same pattern as when watching a program from set top box through Rogers-,  a message would pop up asking if I would like to retry the connection and on clicking yes, the streaming would continue- no missed parts of the show, but extremely annoying. 

This seems to be connected in start of issue and length of time of blank screen. I choose the tv input for the apple tv through the remote of the set top box-so I assume there is a set top interaction here. I would appreciate your comments or any comments.

By the way- Checked computer and phone when the message appeared and both connected to internet with full wifi bars.

twogood
I'm here a lot

As this is a problem with so many people it is obviously either a set top or Rogers Ignite problem,we have the same cut out for 6 or 7 secs to black and also other picture freezes,very annoying!

macman1
I plan to stick around

This has been ongoing for weeks. I was contacted by the back end of tech support a couple of weeks ago when a ticket number was generated. I was told it was  due to a firmware issue- apparently an update was pushed out and is causing the problem in  the set top boxes- some seem to be ok-many others not. Was told IT working on a fix. Contacted this week again and they are in the testing phase and the black screen and freezing- which is now my predominant issue- are part of the same issue. No time line indicated other than in testing phase. 

macman1
I plan to stick around

This has been going on since late October /early November. We are approaching January. I was told a few days ago, IT still working on a fix but no date given for possible roll out. I,  like others pay good money for the "Ignite Experience" but two months  to fix a widespread problem is disappointing.  A ticket was created when I first called in and  I keep receiving texts indicating there is a delay in fixing the issue, as recently as three days ago. 

Like other comments, I can watch for two hours and nothing, other times , like last night it occurred four times in a half hour program., I am noticing when the freeze occurs then the black screen then a jerky return to active video and audio I am missing  a few words of the conversation which is annoying if it was key to the next scene when freeze stops. Has anybody heard an updates or info concerning a fix.

I am beginning to think Rogers should rebate  some costs  for the Ignite package on our next bills. Might speed things up

Good morning @macman1!

We can provide you with updates from your ticket if you PM us.

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

BEAST45
I've been around
I will say my Mother had the same problem,tried different connections,tried firestick which buffered...decided maybe the problem was WIFI modem...years as a RadioShack employee(lol) taught me to make sure all connections are tight...that being said I checked the cable connected to the Modem,was able to tighted it at least 2 turns...nice and snug,after a couple of days still mo black screen...it's worth a try,it's like unplugging and plugging back in,to simple,lol

macman1
I plan to stick around

I have done this more than once...on my own and tech support got me to do the usual basic things, until they realized the problem was widespread through Ontario, NB and NFLDLAB. Tech support indicates it is a firmware issue on an update  from back in late October and have been working on a fix but as of last week, no known date to push out. 

Further to this problem, I exchanged the box for a new one,changing our second box to our 1st tv,result is just the same,black outs for 6 or 7 secs, no better!

Topic Stats