cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Screen Goes Black Intermittently

ultinet1
I've been here awhile

We have 2 tvs and 2 Rogers Ignite boxes.  Both have the same problem.  When watching Ignite Tv suddenly the screen goes black, no sound, for about 6 seconds, then resumes the program. This happens on both tvs.  Checked connections,  Cannot resolve this problem.  Any suggestions?

***Edited Labels***

65 REPLIES 65

Re: Ignite Screen Goes Black Intermittently

BOATTOP
I've been here awhile
I have the same issue. I know it is not the TV as I can cast films using my Chromecast device. I have rebooted several times but it still does it.
I am considering exchanging the Box .

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The same thing also recently started happening on my parents' family room TV.  (Xi6-T set-top box on a circa-2012 Sharp Aquos HD TV.)  The HDMI connection drops, then reconnects -- you can see the TV displaying the resolution of the connection when the image comes back.  I'm quite sure that the active Ignite TV stream does not drop, so it's not a network issue, and there is no status bar/timeline/channel info displaying from the set-top box, so no indication that anything on the STB is resetting.

CC: @CommunityHelps 

Mimsies
I've been here awhile
Following as I’m having the same issues.

dmbcanada
I plan to stick around

Having same issue on one of my tv's, thought it was the TV but it never happens when watching another app on the Ignite Box (EG Netflix), only occurs when watching Ignite TV.   Took box from second tv and moved it to the one with the issue and it resolved.   But good to know it is not just me and don't need to replace my TV.

Good morning @dmbcanada!

I had a similar issue recently with one of my boxes and did the same thing (swap box positions) because I thought it might be an HDMI failure.

We should arrange to have that box replaced for you since you've determined via troubleshooting that issue is with the box itself.

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here

Regards,

RogersCorey

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When watching TV at my parents' house yesterday, I had the Guide open (looking for something/ANYTHING good to watch), and then the screen went black.  Waited... then the screen came back on again with the Guide still open, and the program/channel was still streaming in the background.  Confirmation that just the HDMI connection dropped; nothing else "reset".

ultinet1
I've been here awhile

Let me know  how the exchange goes.  Thanks

Same problem. Goes black for approx 5 seconds. I rewind 6 seconds and I am able to view my lost 5 seconds. I live in SW Brampton. Visited friends in N Brampton. They have the same issue. We are going to text one another every time it occurs to see if it occurs at the same time. If it does then the problem is with Rogers and not the box or TV. It has been happening for about 3 weeks now!

thibaultr
I've been around
We are having the same issue. We live in Orleans, Ontario (Ottawa). Has been happening off and on for over 3 weeks. Will try switching the box with another one in our house and see what happens.

franko
I've been around
Following. Same trouble here in NL

jbcottrell
I've been around

For over a month and it is getting more common, the tv pic freezes, sound still going, also 10 to 15 second black outs. Happens on a consistent basis. I know it's not the television as it is happening to both TV's and neighbours.
I understand Rogers may need to update at times, fixes etc but this happens all day all hours. I have ignite so I reboot the boxes all the time, does not help. Watching the Leafs tonight, freezing all the time. Pay a lot of money for very poor service. Considering changing service. Almost impossible and a considerable amount of time to question anyone live at Rogers. Just very poor service. Would not recommend it to anyone and I know a number of people in the neighbourhood feel the same.
Hope Rogers having this forum don't think this is a great way to reach out because it is not.

jimbo_42
I've been here awhile

We are having the same intermittent behavior here in Carleton Place, Ontario.

Spent about on the phone with a Rogers person a few weeks ago.

Reset the set top box and the gateway modem.

I have tried to keep a record of occurrences.

Some evenings it happens 3 or more times in a 3hour period at random times.

Other evenings it doesn't happen at all

I have had it occur when watching broadcast channels as well as during pvr playback.

Never while watching Netflix over my Chromecast device.

Does replacement of the set top box fix this ???

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jimbo_42 I have not heard any updates from Rogers since I reported the problem.  I have also only seen this happen with multiple Xi6-T set-top boxes but never with my XiOne.

Keep in mind that at their core, these set-top boxes are just small computers running Linux, with Ethernet and Wi-Fi network hardware, a display chip that can also decode video streams in hardware, some flash storage, and software to implement DRM and the set-top box functions that we, as users, interact with.

Given that the HDMI, drop-outs also seem to last for precisely 5 seconds, I still suspect that this is a software-related issue, not a hardware fault -- it's like some code gets stuck and gets reset after 5 seconds when a watchdog timer expires.  It may also be the kind of problem that (say) reproduces after playing content on Prime Video.  (I don't really know if this is the case.  Just giving an example.)

Strangely, I have not seen any discussion about this problem in any Comcast (or Comcast customers') support forums so, either they are deleting posts related to this issue (not likely; nor have I seen any related postings on reddit), there is something wonky with Rogers' set-top box builds, or this really is a hardware problem and we actually do have set-top boxes going bad en masse.

Would really like to hear some updates from Rogers.

Mimsies
I've been here awhile
I checked the details of my ignite box to see when the last firmware was updated and it’s timestamped September 27, roughly when I noticed these issues starting. I had previously changed my HDMI cable and did a complete system reboot but it didn’t help. Now I’m thinking it’s an error code from the last update. What do you guys think ?

bryanmtl
I've been here awhile

Same here. Toronto. 

This was happening when I first got Ignite about 1.5 years ago. It ended up resolving on its own, so I doubt it's a hardware issue. Hopefully it's fixed in the next software release.

Scousegirl
I'm here a lot

I have been in touch with Rogers via private message through this forum about this. After a few days of back and forth messages, they suddenly seemed to notice this thread with everyone else having the same issue, so at this point they don't seem to know what is causing it. It doesn't appear to be a hardware problem as the internet doesn't seem to be affected. I've been was asked to keep track of exactly when it happens and what I was watching at the time.

jimbo_42
I've been here awhile

I have been noting the date, time and channel of these drops for about a week.

Here are some of my notes.

Nov 4,  9:15 and 10:01 pm. On channel 95 .. food Network.

Nov 6,  6:04 pm  on channel 8. CBC news

Nov 9,  5:48 pm  channel 7  CTV Ottawa news

Nov 9  6:02 pm channel 8 CBC Ottawa news

Nov 9 6:49 pm channel 8 CBC Ottawa news

Nov 9 10:58  pm channel 95  the food Network

Nov 10. 9:42 pm. Channel 345.  The game show Network

Nov 11  1:47 pm  channel 99 SN1

I have also seen the issue while watching pvr recordings and on demand programs.

Hope this helps.

But it looks very random to me.

hiho
I'm a regular

I to would love to have some kind of offical soulution to the blank screen issue not sure if its hardware/software or wifi which never improved once we upgraded to ignite 

Ignite HomeConnect App may or may not tell me more but since i dont have any android devices i cant dl it or use it

Scousegirl
I'm here a lot

Don't know if anyone else has noticed a significant improvement with this but Rogers did tell me on Friday that they would be working on a solution over the weekend. They must have figured it because today, my screen has only blacked out once  - much, much better than it has been. 

jimbo_42
I've been here awhile

I don't know where you are.

But today , November 21, I have seen this 7 times this evening.

During live tv as well as on demand.

I am located in Carleton Place which is 30 Km west of Ottawa

We are having a snow and rain event today.

I have reset both the gateway modem and the TV box.

And it continues.

Argh !

Topic Stats