Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rogers RF remote

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

https://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/remote/416?setLanguage=en

Have yet to pick one up myself.. but will possibly try this week.

Its an RF remote, so it doesnt need line of sight.
This will be a great asset to people wanting to set up a home theatre, etc type of setup where the box may not be right infront of the TV itself.

Though.. the TV on/off part of it (or any other paired devices) will still be done via IR and not RF.

***Edited Labels***

335 REPLIES 335

Re: New Rogers RF remote

syntxerr
I'm here a lot

Did that, waited 20 mins - then tried again the next day... same thing!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@syntxerr(and others having RF pairing issues) I don't really know what else to suggest...

- exchange the remote for another one.

- Take the batteries out of the remote overnight.

- Call Rogers

Hello, @syntxerr

For any reason when RF pairing fails, the remote shall still work in IR mode. Does the remote work at all? The remote should work with any other Rogers' Set-Top boxes in IR mode. If another box is not available you can try pairing it with your TV to check if it's functional. 

If the remote works with other devices and it will not work/pair with NB3 in either mode, since you've already tried rebooting the box etc. I would suggest swapping the box.

If the remote is not working with any device you can definitely swap the remote as suggested by @57

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Cornfed
I plan to stick around
You can change the volume lock to to control what ever you want

prateeck7
I plan to stick around

Hello, my RF remote works great through obstructions. Every button works except volume though. Is there a way to control volume button through the obstruction? It is quite the most essential feature for me in RF remote as my kids watch their shows really loud. And I would like to control the volume while I am meditating in the other room. And no, don't ask me to turn off the TV instead. I am not that mean 😄

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@prateeck7:

The remote typically comes pre-programmed to control the volume of typical TVs. The volume control does NOT control the set top box itself.  What is the make/model of your TV?  If it's not one of the standard brands, then it may not be in the "pre-programming" defaults.

Go to the following link and follow the setup instructions for volume, etc:  You may need to enter the code for your particular TV, per the setup instructions first.

http://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/champion-plus-urc2125b0-bb/

If you have difficulty following the instructions, call Rogers and they will usually walk you through it.

If you are trying to control the volume of an Audio Video Receiver, the steps are similar and are also outlined in the link above.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats the one downside of this remote/setup.

While the connection to the Rogers box itself is RF... the connection to your TV is still via infrared.

That the remote chages the TV volume..  its sort of stuck 😞

prateeck7
I plan to stick around

@Gdkitty

Let me make it clear. I can control every buttons through walls. It's only volume control that I cannot control through the walls Smiley Mad (It's fine if there is no wall. I can even control it if I turn the remote on the opoosite direction).

Are you implying that I cannot control volume through the wall?

Weird though. I can control the volume icon of the cable box. However, the actual voume output is unchanged.

Cable volume is bascially usless for me.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, since the TV is IR, this won't work through the walls like RF does for the STB.  You could consider an IR repeater for the TV, but using an IR repeater would have worked for all your equipment with an IR remote.

Since the TV usually needs to be in sight to watch it, then the remote's IR signals should also be in sight of the TV. Smiley Wink  I don't understand how you can be in another room and watch TV.

The remote can control the volume output of some STBs, however, you need to use the "variable" (not fixed) setting and analogue audio connections, which doesn't work in today's digital world, but did work years ago with analogue (audio and video) connections.

Another option would be to turn down the volume before going to meditate and take the remote with you so that your kids cannot turn the volume back up?  This is not as mean as turning off the TV....

Candyman
I've been here awhile
I am still having trouble pairing my RF remote to my Nextbox 3.0. Do I need to do something on the cable box so that it sees my remote when it is in pairing mode. My remote just flashes when I hold down arrow up + setup at the same time but never pairs with the Nextbox. Any help would be appreciated.

Juanito1
I've been around
i found this thread 7 months later and it solved the issue. they should put this instruction in with every remote...

@prateeck7 wrote:

@Gdkitty

Let me make it clear. I can control every buttons through walls. It's only volume control that I cannot control through the walls Smiley Mad (It's fine if there is no wall. I can even control it if I turn the remote on the opoosite direction).

Are you implying that I cannot control volume through the wall?

Weird though. I can control the volume icon of the cable box. However, the actual voume output is unchanged.

Cable volume is bascially usless for me.

Like everyone else has stated, the signal from your remote to the TV will always be through IR (Infared) and the Volume control is a feature of your TV set not the STB . There is no way around it, unless your TV manufacturer some how adds RF capability, and some how Rogers remote is re-designed with this in mind and they are paired together

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
The purpose of having RF/UHF function in your remote is so that you can hide the STB in a cabinet or you keep it in a different place than your TV, for example, mine is on the opposite wall of where my TV is, and it would be very awkward to point your remote behind your head every time you want to change channels. now, since your TV is usually infront of you, its almost always line of sight, so it makes sense for the remote to have IR to control the TV's power and volume functions, this is how it is, Ive never heard someone wanting to control power and volume from another room, its doable, but not with the standard equipment they provide, if u really want this, you better be forking over some money for some kind of device or build a device yourself to accomplish this, because its not something that is high in demand

stoneball
I plan to stick around
Hi I have the RF remote and try to create playlists for the kids to watch cartoons but there is no FAV button to select from the available programs. How do I do this w the RF remote??

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stoneball:

Press the Guide button repeatedly.  It should bring up your favourites on the second press.

If you're trying to create favourite channels go to Settings (Menu?) - Channel Setup.  Or get out an old remote.  😉

stoneball
I plan to stick around

I know how to get favorites on the guide. To create a playlist, you are supposed to highlight the episode and press the FAV button to add the episode to the playlist, but there is no FAV button on the RF remote.  How do I create a playlist using the RF remote.

stoneball
I plan to stick around

surley someone must know?

How do I create a playlist of "treehouse on demand" episodes using the RF remote. Instructions say use fav button but there is no fav button on RF remote.

TheArcher
I plan to stick around

@stoneball wrote:

surley someone must know?

How do I create a playlist of "treehouse on demand" episodes using the RF remote. Instructions say use fav button but there is no fav button on RF remote.

Stoneball, if you had made it clear that you were talking about On Demand there might have been more helpful replies. I never use On Demand, but I checked it now and you are right in that you can generate a playlist but it requires the use of a FAV button which the new RF remote does not have. I have several older remotes with the FAV button and it does work. So the easiest solution is to obtain an older remote and use it to set up the playlist. This is obviously something the Rogers team didn't consider when deciding no FAV button was required on the RF remote.

Perhaps a Rogers Moderator could comment on this apparent deficiency. 

Good afternoon @stoneball and thank you for reaching out @TheArcher.

I personally do not use this feature so I wasn't aware of the issue until I reproduced it from here. Looking into it, the playlist feature is unsupported on the RF remote. You would have to secure one of the previous model remotes if you wish to use the playlist feature On Demand.

I know that may be a pain and I wish I had a better solution for you but it is the only solution I can offer.

Regards,

RogersCorey

^ch

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@RogersCorey wrote:
 Looking into it, the playlist feature is unsupported on the RF remote. You would have to secure one of the previous model remotes if you wish to use the playlist feature On Demand.

There are other features of the standard remote also not supported by the new RF model. If one of my regular remotes failed, would Rogers still be able to replace it, or would I have to "downgrade" to the RF model?  Are there any plans for a newer RF remote that has all of the functionality of the old IR remote?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Champion RF remote connect to an RF to IR extender

So far I am really liking my new Rogers Champion remote and 4k STB.

I can control my TV via IR and the Rogers NextBox 4K via RF which allows me to point the remote at the TV.  However I have a Yamaha Reciever (located to the right) that I am setting up to handle the sound/volume etc.  I wish the 4k box had a IR blaster connection so I could relay controls via RF through the Nextbox to the reciever.  

My question I guess is, can the Rogers Champion remote connect to an wireless RF to IR extender similar to a logitech remote?

Thank you

Ryan