cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular models) Activation

nasa25
I'm a trusted contributor

OK so the system is now live.  You should get a pop up asking if you'd like to update the carrier settings.  Click Yes

Then you go back to your watch app and 'setup cellular' is active.  I was able to get all the way to the 911 address screen but for some reason the 'continue' button is greyed out even when I enter my full address.  So not sure what's going on with that.  But I was able to get like 2 steps from the finish lol

***Added Labels***

603 REPLIES 603

Re: Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular models) Activation

sbradley33
I plan to stick around

Hey @pbrox77, I talked to a tech today.  They had to go to their tier 2 support twice to see if the can solve my WS300 issue, just like you.  After the second time, the tech confirmed, from tier 2,  that this was a known issue and that when they "find the disconnect", pardon the pun I guess, they will text me to tell me it's been resolved and I guess to get my phone activated on the cellular network.  So it's all a big game of hurry up and wait.

At least now I know it's not my watch, not my iPhone X, not my Rogers account, and a confirmation that they are having issues.

nasa25
Sucks that you guys are still chasing down the WS300. Hopefully they can find the issue soon.

On another note, just got to properly test the LTE capabilities of my AW3.

When you pair AirPods with the AW, all I can say is WOW. Exercise app open doing a jog, Apple Music streaming and the ability to make calls and short texts as well as get all the other app updates I’m used to getting with my iPhone connected.

It’s a game changer.

I can physically see the battery depleting when doing all that stuff but that’s another issue lol. Overall, LTE makes this watch an absolute winner.

I started with a WS300 error right at login.

Issue was two fold, after an hour or so on facebook messenger:

1. login email address and my actual email address weren't the same

2. the IMEI of my iphone and the one they had on the account were not the same.

Once those two were fixed I could go through the process of getting a plan setup.

Of course now my watch says I have a plan with Rogers, but no connection. I guess the next step.....

nasa25

@ajaxrunner hop on a live chat and get them to re-register both your iPhone and Apple Watch line. That should restore your connection. 

Rabbit1787
I plan to stick around

Apple Watch 4 - Set up Cellular grayed out

If anyone has the grayed out “set up cellular” the store rep figured it out after 1 week.

He switched my SIM card on my iPhone and it let me set up cellular

Confirmed!!!  If you have an OLD SIM in your iPhone, you will get a DISABLED "Set Up Cellular".

I popped out my old SIM card (circa 2012) and put in the one that came in the box with my iPhone X, and Rogers Telephone Tech support activated my new SIM and voila!  It worked!

Thank you @Rabbit1787!  I saw your message while I was on the phone with Rogers, 1/2h after you posted it.   And thank you Sherri from Rogers Tech support!

Get a new SIM in your phone people!!!

Rabbit1787
I plan to stick around

Yes it took me almost a week now to go through like 8 tech support (teir 1, 2 and 3 support), 4 roger stores.

My sequence of pain over the last week:

1. Bought apple watch on launch date and got "grayed out - Set Up Cellular)

2. Next day went to Rogers Store - Yorkdale / they setup a smart watch plan under my account and when it still didnt fix the grayed out cellular they told me to call phone support

3. Call phone support and they said they have to open a ticket

4. Rogers phones me back on Monday and says they have to kick it to Tier 3

5. Tier 3 says I need to go back the Original Rogers Store - Yorkdale and have them redo it, because they used a physical sim and not the esim.

6. I argue with the Rogers people saying they should be able to cancel on the phone - I threaten to cancel everything and they finally do it.

7. I go back to a different Rogers store to activate the Smart Plan with an esim. - The store tells me i can't do it because i dont have a share plan, - I argue with them and tell them to check their own site saying it works with a non share 1 gb plan.

8. They activate it on their computer again and my phone is still grayed out "Set Up Cellular"

9. The guy in the store resets my network settings, everything, unpairs and pairs back apple watch- still grayed out

10. He reads a bunch of support stuff - (- No phone support for this, its all in store)

11. He says have you tried changing the sim card? - I said at this point lets just try.

12. It finally lets me click set up cellular.

I also had to argue with a rep on the phone to waive my connection fee. I think i earned it.

Rabbit1787
I plan to stick around

glad my 1 week of pain helped someone @stevencwong_1

I went though a similar week of pain too @Rabbit1787 including 2 credit checks, unpairing/repairing my Apple Watch (deregistering credit cards, bank cards, etc never fun), resetting network settings, deleting the Apple Watch App from my iPhone and installing it again, etc.  I had a rogers tickets opened which mysteriously closed on me.  my second ticket got no response until if finally called back a 3rd time to follow up.   It's been a bumpy ride and a year long wait for Rogers to finally get support for the Apple Watch.  Thank you for posting your fix.

Rabbit1787
I plan to stick around

well @stevencwong_1 looks like i spoke too soon, now i have "plan not in use" and cant get it to recognize the smart watch plan now.

woke up to that this morning.

nasa25

@Rabbit1787

I already posted the solution to this.  Call or hop on a live chat with rogers.  Get them to RE-REGISTER both your iPhone and Apple Watch line.

Done.  

Rabbit1787
I plan to stick around

I got on the phone. they reset my network on the cell. It let me recognize they plan - but now i cant use it. It says i have a rogers plan, but no connection @nasa25

nasa25

@Rabbit1787

What does it say on under 'cellular' on the watch app?

Does it say 'Add a new plan' and then show your Rogers plan under a section called 'Not in Use'?  If thats exactly what you see then you need to re-register your iPhone and Watch line.

On your watch, what colour is the cellular icon?  If it's black that means your watch doesn't recognize the plan (and you need to re-register the lines).  If its WHITE, then that means it does recognize the plan but for some reason you just have zero bars/connectivity

Also resetting your network settings or sending the signal to your lines is not the same this as re-registering them.  I had the exact same issue....

Rabbit1787
I plan to stick around
@nasa25

Yeah, my cellular thing on my watch is white. And in the cellular tab it says Rogers - check mark, status - no connection.

Lovely time with Rogers. The guy said he thinks it’s a provisioning problem when I removed the plan this morning trying to get it to recognize again.

nasa25

@Rabbit1787 ah that sucks. So the watch recognizes the cellular plan but just can't connect to the network.  

If your watch line is setup properly and properly registered, you should technically be able to delete the profile from your watch/esim and go through the activation process again.  When you login to your rogers account it should recognize that you have an active plan and allow you to choose that line (as opposed to asking you to setup a brand new line).  The only thing is that if it doesn't do that, you've already deleted your current profile and would have no way to get it back other than to set up a brand new line and cancel your existing line

What steps did you take this morning?  Did you basically delete the rogers profile from your watch app and go through the activation process again (like I detail above)?

The EXACT same thing is happening at Bell, so it’s not just a Rogers problem. I don’t know how neither company knows how to fix this. Ridiculous

Rabbit1787
I plan to stick around

@nasa25 

I went into my iPhone watch app and click remove rogers plan.

At that point rogers says it didnt unlink properly because i didnt log in to the "manage my rogers account" page and unlink it from the portal. So they reset my network settings.

Once they did that, my watch app recognized that i had a plan again and let me activate, but says no connection

nasa25

@Rabbit1787 if you click manage rogers account and login, does it give you the option of unlinking your smartwatch or does it just give you the option to add a new plan?

Because if it does, if I were you, I'd unlink the watch on the rogers portal, delete the profile again and then start fresh by clicking 'add a cellular plan', logging into the rogers portal and it should give you the option of selecting the smartwatch number that's on your account.  Once that's all done and it's freshly activated on your watch you can see if you still don't have any connectivity.  

Nixle32
I plan to stick around
Went thru the process smoothy Series 4 is now connected to LTE.

Moneoa
I plan to stick around

Well if it makes anyone feel better. My personal issue in this is I only can get to e911 registration between 11:30 and 12 at night and then it still 300s me at the end until I get 201’s. Only during that time. Otherwise i error out after selecting add to share plan

sbradley33
I plan to stick around
@nasa25, the problem is, is I don't have a line yet for the Watch., this is why I think it's erroring out. I also have 2 other lines (total of 3) on my account.