cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What you have to do to actually get a phone from Rogers ?

RW2023
I've been here awhile

What is it you have to do to get a phone from Rogers ??
I left Rogers because they offered me a phone deal with a new plan.... but I never got the phone and they only gave me a run-around. The order was canceled from someone at Rogers.... without letting me know.... and Rogers didn't honor they part of the agreement anymore and told me the deal is expired, not available anymore.

Now after I switch to Virgin the Win back Team called me... and offered a phone deal and special plan again for me to switch back to Rogers.
I agreed but again, the phone they offered me all of a sudden is not in stock anymore for 4 weeks ... plus !! , and they are not willing to offer a alternative without me paying more money ! I wasted now hours on the phone again to get screwed over and over again. I'm the only one with that problem ?

**Labels Added**

9 REPLIES 9

Re: What you have to do to actually get a phone from Rogers ?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

try going to a store and get a phone and a new in-market plan from there. you might have a better experience

RW2023
I've been here awhile

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion but

"Would you reward your child for bad behavior?? "

No, I definitely will not waste more time and give more money to Rogers if  they don't know how to treat a customer and take responsibility for there auction.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

good analogy

Stimoy403
I'm here a lot

Apparently Rogers has made no effort to improve their customer service in respect to this issue.  In April I requested a new phone to be sent to my work place.. fraud cancelled the order with no notice, little information supplied on their end.  It took the fraud department another week to finally figure out they cancelled the service and couldn't explain why.  So to make things easier I requested a pick up at store order...a few days later nothing had come through, no user agreement, no notice from store, nothing.  Phone support said I'd have to talk to the store directly, talked to the store directly they said they had no order but it was first come first serve.  Finally got a notice that the order was cancelled due to not being picked up... placed another order to be sent to my home... again no information that order was completed and being shipped, etc.  Reached out to customer service and was told there was no record of an order... Cancelled account with rogers at this point.   Had to reluctantly make the switch back to rogers as Telus coverage is poor in rural Alberta.  Placed an order for a phone to be picked up in store... and right back to the same thing 4 months later.  I really can't wait for out of Country providers to have access to the market...maybe then the Canadian suppliers will make an attempt to provide the service we pay way to much for.. and don't receive!

To add to this story (was on customer chat on original reply) Order I placed yesterday became "Unfillable" as it did not submit successfully .  I find it completely amazingly enough the updated plan which was $5 more a month was completed immediately after I completed the order... so now get to try and deal with telesales department.  

Rogers.. you need to do better.  I may end up on Mint mobile out of the US in a day or 2 if this is the best service Canadians can expect

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor

It definitely should not be that hard to get a phone from Rogers. Yes. There is a lot of fraud going on in the world. My experience with Rogers fraud department makes me question their competence but they still call me often enough trying to get me to buy a new device. I keep telling them no, because they cost too much and they don't want to offer any sort of reasonable deals on anything I want.

I did order a Pixel 9 Pro XL 512GB on Obsidian from T-Mobile for $1,034 USD after tax and it should ship tomorrow. The same device in Canada is $1,799 + tax and we all know tax in Canada is ridiculous. Even with the horrible exchange rate, I still saving over $700 CAD.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@LordDrakkon wrote: I did order a Pixel 9 Pro XL 512GB on Obsidian from T-Mobile for $1,034 USD after tax and it should ship tomorrow. The same device in Canada is $1,799 + tax and we all know tax in Canada is ridiculous. Even with the horrible exchange rate, I still saving over $700 CAD.

US$1034 = roughly $1450 Canadian at current exchange rates (0.736) and CC fees of 2.5%. Canadian taxes at the border are roughly C$190 - link below. Shipping is ?? Total = ~C$1650?

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

Canadian phone is $2032 after tax in Ontario, assuming your Canadian pricing is the best available, so overall saving may be roughly $375 - nothing to sneeze at, but not over $700.  However, you have no warranty and US phones may have issues in Canada, especially with Rogers. Caveat Emptor.

And the final chapter after another hour of sitting on phone trying to get an answer and have someone remove order from the account so I could change my service plan back and getting different “story” to what actually happened … number ported to another provider, again!    Canadian telecoms are unbelievably poor on providing service, but love to say they need to charge such high rates to provide said poor service.  Out of country providers or direct to satellite can’t come quick enough.   

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor

I have never paid anything at the border when bringing back a phone and I used my US debit card, so no fees.  .You are also forgetting the fees Rogers charges when upgrading.  I have never had any issues with US carrier purchased devices on most Canadian carriers. 

Telus though, purposely blocks non-Canadian device IMEI's from using VoLTE, VoWiFi, and roaming, which literally cost them a . ton of money when I took that to CCTS that allowed me to walk away from 5 lines on contract including two device payments while getting to keep the devices.  This was because I proved they deprovisioned a device that worked fine on their network for 2 years and with texts from one of their senior network engineers confirming why that was done.  Also, blocking 911 access when roaming in another country is illegal in Canada and the US and probably many more countries!  The last 5 devices I have personally used, all came from the US and have worked perfectly outside of Telus being a bit ridiculous.  

Edit:  The one thing anyone buying a phone in the US though needs to realize, is they are carrier locked unless you buy a non-carrier/unlocked model.  As a T-Mobile USA customer as well with a Canada/US/Mexico plan for $35 USD a month plan.  All I have to do is call customer care to have it SIM unlocked.  

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation