cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COVID-19 and Data Restrictions Still on Hubs/Cell?

RockinR
I plan to stick around

For the home hub users that are likely not included on the lifted data cap that "Home Internet" users have been gifted. I call it a "shame on you" Rogers for treating the rural folk as second hand citizens. 

You realize that the same people that exist in the rural areas that are forced to use the Hub as their " Home Internet " with the measly data cap for exorbitant price per gig are paying for a service also that is "Home Internet". 

What's it going to take to give the rural users a break? Extinction? 

***Edited Labels***

88 REPLIES 88

Re: COVID-19 and Data Restrictions Still on Hubs/Cell?

RogersZia

Good evening @RockinR,

Welcome to the Community :)!

I realize these are unprecedented challenging times for all of us.  We are temporarily removing usage caps for our customers on limited home internet packages. This does not apply to wireless Internet services at this time. We will continue to evaluate how we can support our customers. 

To stay up-to-date on what Rogers is doing for its Connected Home, Wireless and Business customers in response to the Pandemic please click here: https://about.rogers.com/covid-19/.

Please stay safe and healthy during these difficult times.

RogersZia

tjcj30049
I've been around
Living in the rural without internet and using a hub is the only way we get our internet. Why would u not help these folks out as well. Paying per gig is very expensive.
Please reconsider

MKJB
I plan to stick around
Continue to evaluate HARDER please! The Rogers rural customers replying here (like me) often have one option for internet - cellular. It's very expensive related to urban hard-line customers. Now for me I have done everything necessary so that I can self-isolate to help my fellow Canadians in this health crisis, but my cell bill for doing so is going to be very expensive.

Your competitor in this space (who shares the very same tower with Rogers that powers my service) offers a deeply discounted plan if your cell internet hub is stationary, because you are not roaming & using it at home. This geo info should be available to Rogers, so check all your customer list of everyone who bought/rent hubs from you and give us a break for a while so we can get through this too without running up a huge bill!

Please escalate this up to management so they are made aware and take action. We're loyal Rogers customers trying to keep our families safe too!

Peacer
I plan to stick around

I was told that the waivers you are offering don’t count for the Roger Hub users. Is this true?

dcbarrett
I've been here awhile
While I appreciate the offer to remove data caps for home internet, Rogers (and all the telcos in Canada) should remove wireless data caps as the U.S. telcos have done. That would be far more meaningful.

Peacer
I plan to stick around
I agree 100%. It’s a expensive service in the first place every month. We live in a rural area , if I want any kind of internet services the Hub is our only choice. In our day now internet isn’t a option it’s a necessity. And it is so very easy to go over you data usage on a normal month. Rogers we need help also!!

Peacer
I plan to stick around
This is totally not far. We have the expensive monthly bills every month. I’ll be rethinking my Rogers option and calling Bell. I’ve been a customer for 9years paying these outrageous monthly bills, even more outrageous over usages charges. Wow Rogers thanks

MKJB
I plan to stick around
Put another way, if Rogers DOESN'T do something positive on this issue then they will saying to their hub customers that they are very okay with profiteering off their misfortune during a national health crisis. Do the right thing here Rogers - the ball's in your court...

Peacer
I plan to stick around
Well said 👍

RockinR
I plan to stick around
That's True...I called both Bell and Rogers. Pfft.

JM2020
I've been around
This is very unfortunate for rural people like myself that cannot get home internet where they live. Like a lot of others, I am forced to work from home during this time and in turn will be using much more data. I could understand if Rogers weren’t lifting data overages at all and everyone was in the same boat, but if they’re doing it for some plans, why not others? Especially people using hubs who already pay an arm and leg for internet due solely to their location. Very disappointed in this decision and will likely be looking at different options because this will not be feasible for my family.

mspencer1
I've been here awhile

Last month for my rocket hub I paid $287.00! Obviously I went over

RockinR
I plan to stick around

Awww that's terrible! That's 5-25Mbps unlimited connections to people that these companies think that can have unlimited internet in their service area proper. Because you are where you are in their opinion that's what you pay. Unreal. Oh and in their opinion you did wrong that's why you pay is their respectful answer. Mspencer I hope one day you'll be able to drop kick that Hub right into a fire pit.

MKJB
I plan to stick around
Any further response to these concerned customers?

Your direct competitor in my area does 100 GB for $60/mo using the exact same cell tower as Rogers does. Cheaper if you use more.

Given that's the case I think the customers here could benefit from an official follow up response from Rogers on this.

Good day,

I was wondering if anyone of you as the same issue that I am going through with data usage. The Corona virus is restricting the family to visit the residence where my Mom lives. The only way to see her is via her cell phone messenger video application. The problem is my data plan is shared with my Mom, family and it cost me over $250.00. I have stop my data usage on my cellular to concentrate all the share data usage for my mom to be able to communicate and see the family via her cellular phone. My data plan is almost over and it cost a fortune to buy data. I called Rogers and there is no plan to help my mother to stay connected with outside world. I will make sure my mom has everything she needs but it will have been great to see Rogers helping the confine people in residences by offering internet services with central modems inside residences.

Peacer
I plan to stick around

Yes lots of people having the same problem as you and Rogers hasn’t responded back to us on here yet. Roger is ripping us off on a good day and could less about us today in this emergency.  Effecting many families. Shame on Rogers 

MKJB
I plan to stick around
So seeing as the moderator has not weighed in yet one of following is maybe going on. Or something else...

1. Rogers is still figuring out how they are going to speak to this (by watching what the increased data usage is like the last few days) before responding/making an adjustment and that is taking time as they figure out what they can offer.

2. The cell network capacity has limits and they can't open the floodgates on unlimited data and let everyone stream, online game, etc. all at once. Though Hub customers should totally be an exception vs cell phone users as most city people are using their home wifi right now.

3. Rogers has made the business decision to not make money off long distance by offering it for free and quietly needs to make it back on the data. A twenty minute cell phone call takes far less than a Netflix show streamed by cell data for the kids.

4. Rogers is talking to its competitors in the industry as to what they will do collectively on this for their customers. (If you noticed all the telcos offered free LD around the same time).

The fact that there has been no follow up says to me that they are still figuring what to do. If the decision was made they would have said sorry-not sorry by now, not just go dark.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Piratelabradors
I plan to stick around

I spoke to a rep online chat earlier this week. He merrily told me that the HUB service was included in the 'no cap'. I have his entire chat to me about this sent via email. So I started checking around locally with other HUB users and they said, no he was wrong, he was reading from the wrong script. I'm now in the process of attempting to contact a rep online to see what's right AND my computer will no longer connect to the 5G HUB line(there is also a second on on my HUB, 2.4G. Box appears to be working fine but says I don't have permission to connect on my laptop, my cell phone or my Ipad. 

Peacer
I plan to stick around

That’s what I’m hoping. They can cut services and then connect again in a matter of seconds so it should t be a problem but I’m a tech

MKJB
I plan to stick around
Please let us know what you find out from the rep.
Topic Stats