cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 year unlimited for $180

melina12
I've been around

Get 1-year of unlimited local evening and weekend local calling + unlimited texting for just $180.*  In the unlimited texting does that include video and picture or do you have to pay extra?  If its extra how much more is it?  Thanks

***Edited Labels***

96 REPLIES 96

Re: 1 year unlimited for $180

Am looking to get this plan for my teen, but am curious about a couple of things:

- RogersLaura says that you can send Canadian text, picture and video messages, but then references wi-fi and mobile data. Based on the links provided, it seems like you can send pictures and videos on the Rogers network without incurring data, but you will need the data 'turned on' when trying to do so outside a wifi zone. Is this correct? The mobile data can be turned on and used to send/receive MMS without incurring charges?

- Promotional texts that are received come with an extra charge. How can we avoid receiving these? Is that something we can control? Not familiar with what these are, but am wary of having to pay extra for messages that we don't solicit. Also wondering if this includes alerts that are sent out by the province (i.e. Amber Alerts, extreme weather). Surely those would not incur a charge.

Thanks in advance!

@RogersYasmine wrote:

Season's greetings @barndoor and to the rest of the Rogers Community! I hope this message find you all in good spirits!

As per the post from RogersTony found HERE, I can confirm that the Talk & Text Pay As You Go Plans do allow users to send Canadian/U.S. and international text, picture and video messages as long as you have a compatible device. When Wi-Fi is unavailable, it's important to ensure your mobile data is turned ON in your device settings in order for this service to work properly. 

Please be advised that the following message types are NOT included in the plan and will be charged at applicable rates if used:

-Sent/received premium texts (alerts, messages related to content and promotions)

-Sent international texts/picture/video messages

-Sent/received text/picture/video/IM/email (as applicable) while roaming 

I'm also including some helpful links below for your reference:

How to send a picture or video from your Android phone

Rogers MMS Settings

Wishing everyone a safe and happy holiday season!! ☃️

RogersLaura

Hello, @T-Fluke.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 😃

Thank you for your interest in the $180/year plan. There are quite a few users in this thread, using this plan who have confirmed Canadian SMS and MMS are included. For MMS to work, the device has to be compatible, and the data must be turned on.

As for Premium texts, it is an option used to purchase messaging programs or subscribe to them, provided by third-party content providers at premium rates. These programs are initiated through five or six-digit numbers, known as shortcodes. Shortcodes are similar to a telephone number and are used to route text messages from mobile phones to interactive mobile messaging applications. 

Premium programs are advertised in all types of media including television, radio, newspapers, magazines and the Internet.

Most common premium programs:

• Alerts and tips, i.e. weather alerts, sports score alerts, daily jokes, horoscopes, dating tips;
  • Purchasing of content, i.e. games & game credits, ringtones, wallpaper, screensavers;
  • Chat services;
  • Interactive voting during TV shows and/or radio shows.

So basically if you don't subscribe to similar premium programs listed above you should not incur charges for premium texts. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@T-Fluke wrote:

....wondering if this includes alerts that are sent out by the province (i.e. Amber Alerts, extreme weather). Surely those would not incur a charge.

Emergency alerts like Amber alerts do not cost anything since they are not sent to specific phone numbers. To learn more about them, please see the following website:

https://www.alertready.ca/

Read the FAQ on Cost/Privacy, as well as any other areas of interest.

moi7
I've been here awhile

How much data do I get for tethering?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@moi7 You get zero data. If you want data, you'll need to subscribe to a data add-on:

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/addons

Click on the Add-ons tab.

Here's whats included in the $180.

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/paygo_promotions_monthlydiscount

moi7
I've been here awhile

Thanks. Is there a one year plan for data only ?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@moi7 wrote:

Thanks. Is there a one year plan for data only ?

By the looks of it, no.  The monthly plan does allow you to tailor your usage so if you need it one month and then don't the next, or vice versa, or your data usage varies....

moi7
I've been here awhile
I have the monthly data plan, but I only need it once a year and there doesn't seem to be a function to deactivate the SIM for the rest of the year.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm confused. Please explain further. Are you saying you're on the $180/year plan but only want data for one month?  I'm not 100% sure, but that should be doable by subscribing one month and then unsubscribing to that data plan as necessary. The only way to contact PAYGo customer service is outlined below. You cannot do it online.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Can-t-purchase-data-pass/m-p/426891#M22822

If I have not summarized your issue properly, they should be able to help you in any instance. I have found the PAYGo CSRs to be most helpful.

Teresa8
I've been around

Hi, I've had this plan for 3 years but when I try to top up now, it won't let me. It says that the maximum top up is $100 and I don't think that it's for this plan.

I've tried to call but there is no longer a Customer Support representative available.

I've tried to chat Rogers but the chat assistants don't support Pay-As-You-Go.

Can someone advise if it is possible to renew?

Thanks,
Teresa

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Teresa8 : As discussed in the post above yours, there is only one way to contact the PAYGO people. Here's the link again.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Can-t-purchase-data-pass/m-p/426891#M22822

IIRC from some other threads, there is often a limit on the amount you can "top up", however, I believe there is nothing preventing you from topping up twice to meet the amount required.  Probably best to give them a call.

JP-R
I've been around
I went through the same thing recently. I was over 9 hours on the phone and online trying to renew my $180 plan. I spoke to at least 3 CSR's and none could help me nor would they give me any number to call aside from the ones listed on the Rogers website that I had already called several times. It was infuriating! In the end I called the Rogers store and they gave me a direct number to call.
On "My Rogers" there is an option to "top up" up to $100 but there is no explanation as to what I get for my $100. Nor could I find any online info for the $180 unlimited plan. I find the website confusing and nearly useless for finding any meaningful information.
I use this plan because I only need the talk time for emergencies like roadside assistance. I renewed in September and now it says I have no minutes left even though I haven't made any calls. My online bill only shows the last 4 days and there is no option to look back further.
I've about had it with Rogers. I'll be looking for a new provider. I'll likely pay more but it will be worth it to be rid Rogers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JP-R wrote:
...I was over 9 hours on the phone and online trying to renew my $180 plan. I spoke to at least 3 CSR's and none could help 

There is only one way to contact PAYGo CSRs and that is outlined in post 95 of this thread - the one above yours.  I've always found those CSRs to be very helpful and there is rarely a long wait.

You can also find that number on the Rogers Contact Us page for PAYGo (Prepaid).

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/support/contactus

Click Billing & Payments or General Inquiries Tab.

Topic Stats