cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 year unlimited for $180

melina12
I've been around

Get 1-year of unlimited local evening and weekend local calling + unlimited texting for just $180.*  In the unlimited texting does that include video and picture or do you have to pay extra?  If its extra how much more is it?  Thanks

***Edited Labels***

96 REPLIES 96

Re: 1 year unlimited for $180

lkj2
I'm here a lot

@57 that's why im confused...i thought I can grandfather the $120/yr plan...:(

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lkj2 : The plan may be grandfathered, but the prices are not. For example, when I started with my "Anytime" plan, the price per minute was significantly lower than it is now.

@Randomuser99 so sad i just discovered it since I got a text one month before the renewal.....so did you end up asking Rogers about it or get any credit back? at least they should be moderate in the rate hike or inform us when they announced it!

lkj2
I'm here a lot

@57 lol that's what I was trying to explain to myself lol which i find ridiculous. anyhow....i guess don't really have an option now... i do enjoy the unlimited txt and weeknight/weekend calls. sighh

barndoor
I'm a trusted contributor

@57wrote:

For example, when I started with my "Anytime" plan, the price per minute was significantly lower than it is now.

Several people here  have complained to them about that  .... from what has been reported in pay go  forum ... and they have supposedly gone back to the original pricing .

barndoor

@lkj2wrote:

@57 lol that's what I was trying to explain to myself lol which i find ridiculous. anyhow....i guess don't really have an option now... i do enjoy the unlimited txt and weeknight/weekend calls. sighh

I'd call them  and ask about it ... I don't understand why they will grandfather one plan and not another if all is in good standing. 

It may not get you anywhere  but it never hurts to rattle the cage a little , you never know what doors may open up. Smiley Wink 

Use the 1 800 575 9090 .... 4....4....1...    number though ... they don't seem to answer anymore , the number I posted  in message 17 in this thread  ...Smiley Sad

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@barndoorwrote:

Several people here  have complained to them about that  .... from what has been reported in pay go  forum ... and they have supposedly gone back to the original pricing .

Agreed, pricing can be negotiable, however, since I look at my overall bill and also have Cable, Internet and Home Phone (which also typically have yearly increases), I concentrate on the overall price every two years when I renew my "contract".  I don't make many cell phone calls so the difference in price is almost inconsequential.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@lkj2 wrote:

thanks for you explanation Oldyellr. I somehow thought the increase only applies to new customers and i get to keep the one im having (ie $120/yr)

Can you explain to me how yours work? its not a monthly nor annual pay as you go?

I have the original prepaid plan.  If I recall, it started out at 25 cents per minute. I would buy $25 vouchers at the Rogers store which were good for a month and air time was deducted from my balance. If all the balance was not used up in 30 days, it carried forward when I renewed. Vouchers were/are available in $5 increments, but I never used more than $25 a month. Later I learned by word of mouth that there was a $100 voucher available that was good for a whole year, so that's what I would buy because it worked out cheaper.  The charge per minute for air time and the charge for texts has increased over the years. Long distance charges are also added. There is also a $0.75 charge for 911 service every month, which I don't believe was there in the beginning.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

barndoor

@57wrote:

Agreed, pricing can be negotiable, ....

Sorry .... the point I was trying to make was that  a number of people originally were paying $.25 and it got bumped to   $.50  for whatever glitchy reason  ...when they called in to ask .... their original pricing was reinstated .  If Rogers is going to grandfather in that manner ...  it certainly isn't outlandish for @lkj2 to call and at least ask to stay at the same price. 

If they say no ... I'd be shopping around  at other providers unless you have to stay with Rogers ...there are other good price points out there  ... some of which even use the Rogers system .  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@barndoorwrote:

Sorry .... the point I was trying to make was that  a number of people originally were paying $.25 and it got bumped to   $.50  for whatever glitchy reason ...

Just as an FYI, when I started with PAYGo in 2009 local phone calls were $0.40/min. Changed to $0.45 around 2013 and $0.50 around 2015.  No "glitch" since I received advance notice of the changes via text.  

I try to choose my battles with Rogers and this one is not worth it for me, although it may be worthwhile for someone else who uses more, or when a charge goes from $120 to $180, although if it was an "introductory offer" that's totally different. For example, you can currently get huge savings on Internet for a limited time to get you to sign up or increase speed, but it should be no surprise when that offer is over and the price increases dramatically.

barndoor

Does anyone here know if the $100  plans got grandfathered or was there a forced switch to the $120 and now the $180 ? 

lunia
I've been around

I believe I paid $120, so yes it's a big jump in cost from $10 to $15 monthly for a phone I keep for emergencies.  I'm guessing they don't have a senior's discount.  I pay $15/mth for my  home phone and think I'll just not renew.  

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I had been considering moving our one phone (we have two) from a prepaid plan to a pay as you go, but the price savings are not significant for the 180.00 plan (I have a very basic low end prepaid plan on a loyalty plan), so I have been looking into the companies that piggyback over the Rogers or other major players networks and will seriously consider them instead - I will have to look at the options - my phone really is nothing but emergency - maybe 2-3 calls per month on average, and very few texts.

I had been looking at the 100, then it went to 120 and still considered it, but at 180.00 need to very seriously think it through.  For me, 5 dollars a month on a fixed income, my current goal is reduction in overall costs in my life - I carry a cell phone only because of my health.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Since you don't use it much, Rogers does have $10/mo Talk/Text: 

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/plans?cm_sp=wireless-_-pay_as_you_go-_-plans_ba...

unun4848
I plan to stick around

If you have a balance when you top up after one year, is that balance added to your top up of $180, or does this plan get 'reset' each year and you start with only $180 each time? Thanks.

unun4848
I plan to stick around

How would you top up this plan when the max top up is $100? Thanks.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

That $180 plan does not run a balance. It's $180/year. After a year you renew it for $180 (unless it's increased, it started out at $100).

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

sam2018
I've been here awhile

I second that!  A big leap to $180?  

Hoping CRTC notices......

sam2018
I've been here awhile

you nailed it!

sam2018
I've been here awhile

To use MMS you need data and $180 yearly plan is without data.  you might get charge for that.

sam2018
I've been here awhile
you need data to send MMS. this 120 dollar plan is without data
Topic Stats