cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 year unlimited for $180

melina12
I've been around

Get 1-year of unlimited local evening and weekend local calling + unlimited texting for just $180.*  In the unlimited texting does that include video and picture or do you have to pay extra?  If its extra how much more is it?  Thanks

***Edited Labels***

96 REPLIES 96

Re: 1 year unlimited for $180

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That's interesting.. yeah it doesn't really imply if it does, even in the more details

The only thing in the more details says, that

"Sent/received premium texts (alerts, messages related to content and promotions), sent international texts/picture/video messages and sent/received text/picture/video/IM/email (as applicable) while roaming not included and charged at applicable rates."

Premium, international and roaming picture/video, is not included..

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Obviously texts with graphics and videos would use a lot more data. When I had my old Nokia dumb phone and someone sent me a picture, the text would include a URL and I could go on line with my computer and get it.  I have data turned off on my LG smart phone and when I receive a text with a picture I don't see it and there's no URL. I have to enable data to get the picture and I get charged extra for that.  I have a dollar balance on my account and that's where the charge comes out of.  I don't know how that would work with a $180/year prepaid account.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Hello @melina12,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Cat Happy

The 1 Year unlimited Pay As You Go plan is a great deal for those who prefer Prepaid over Postpaid phone lines.

I can confirm that the 1 year $180 Pay As You Go plan includes unlimited text, picture, and video messaging in Canada and includes data only devices.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

RogersTony 

notre
I've been around

Data plan required for MMS for unlimited prepaid plan?

Hi,

I know this has been asked, but I didn't understand the answer.  I'm looking at Roger's prepaid unlimited promotion for an iPhone (for my child):

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/paygo_promotions_monthlydiscount

I'm not clear whether I would get be able to use MMS (in particular, to send/recieve pictures) or would that require getting a separate data plan/add on.

Thank you

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@notre

I read the link they provided you, and like you, I see no clarity on the question of Canada MMS - I know that on all smart phones now, you have turn turn on mobile data and on standard plans you don't actually need data - as most of the plans allow you to access the data network to send pictures, while text alone is on the cellular network.

The details speak to costs for text and picture messaging when roaming, but only says text

As the notes say, "sent international texts/picture/video messages and sent/received text/picture/video/IM/email (as applicable) while roaming not included and charged at applicable rates."

So it says that international sent text/picture/video is additional cost (not part of the unlimited text offer), and same sent or received when roaming.

So your question is from my view of your information posted is you are trying to understand if you need data add-on.

Based upon @RogersTony answer

I can confirm that the 1 year $180 Pay As You Go plan includes unlimited text, picture, and video messaging in Canada and includes data only devices.

it would appear that as long as you are using it in Canada, you don't need data, but it would also apply to a data only device, say like a tablet.

Hope that helps - maybe @RogersTony can clarify further for you.

Bruce

Akaz
I've been around

Hi,

I am thinking of getting this for my kids. Just wondering if it will allow them to incur overages? for example the plan includes 50 daytime min for the whole year. Can my kid go over this limit and incur overages?

Hello, @Akaz

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for joining and posting your query in the Community. It's a great question, I would have wondered the same. Yes, the plan allows you to incur overages provided you have already topped up the account anticipating the overage. In other words, say if there are no funds in the account after 50 daytime minutes are used you will not be able to make/receive calls during the daytime. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

skrinkaman
I've been around

I paid $130.00 last year for the same plan. Ho is it even legal to jump prices so much. I am putting in a complaint with the CRTC there is no way you can get approved to increase prices this much.

barndoor
I'm a trusted contributor

@skrinkaman wrote:

I am putting in a complaint with the CRTC there is no way you can get approved to increase prices this much.

Why .... ?    If you can't find a better deal elsewhere, then that explains why Rogers put the price up .  If you can , then why do you want to fight to stay with Rogers ? 

Randomuser99
I plan to stick around

$60 Increase on my plan?

Hello! I currently have the (former) $120/year plan. Recently, my plan was due for renewal... but I discovered that Rogers increased my phone plan by $60! Why Rogers? Sure, you might say it's only $60, 180 / 12 = $15, 120 / 12 = $10, only a $5/month increase, but it's money coming out of my pockets. The money that could be feeding me and my family instead of going to Rogers.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@skrinkaman  If you do decide to put in a concern to CRTC, it is worth a try, but the CRTC has always been consistent in that they do not deal with pricing or provision of services, that they leave to the market customers and companies to negotiate and figure out where it is going.

Their goal is freedom and ease of movement, so you see things like restricted termination costs, the two year plan model, the unlocked phone, porting of phone numbers, and no 30 day notice requirement to name a few.

They also deal with clarity of terms and notice of changes, and administration of the components of the wireless code, while leaving working of concerns about communication and service to the escalation.

Companies can do what ever they want in terms of provision of services and pricing as long as it doesn't violate the wireless code and pricing and provision of new services or changes of terms etc the CRTC will not work with these things.

So you are left at looking at different models and pricing and companies and deciding what you are willing to commit to.

Note, I am not defending the company on this plan, I think they have gone pretty agressively in changing up these plans and based upon the various threads, there seems to be very few happy pay as you go customers.

I am not saying don't submit the concern to the CRTC either, but I wouldn't expect much support around pricing and service content restrictions - that is not the mandate of CRTC at this time.

Bruce

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I still remain unsure whether the unlimited texts covers MMS (pictures) within Canada under this 180.00 plan.

Does anyone have a clarification? I may have missed it, but don't recall seeing it.

Bruce

barndoor

I think Tony confirmed in message 4 here that picture messages in Canada were included.   I think that is one of the Rogers selling points on most of their plans .  I have a somewhat similar plan with another company ,it's significantly  cheaper for my situation  but no MMS .  So, wise to be looking at the finer  points before jumping ship .

Chitose
I've been here awhile
Hi, I'm using this plan 1 year unlimited for $180. Lately, I put $100 extra through the stuff at the shop, because I wanted to top up my money for day time calling. But, I can't see that $100 on my account. Also, I remembered last time I topped up, I paid $200 and I just saw $60 or something on my account. Could you explain what happened on my account. After I put $100, I didn't use my phone call at all.

Chitose
I've been here awhile
I'm sorry I made mistake to ask my question. I'm new here. I didn't understand how it works. I'm so sorry.

barndoor

@Chitose wrote:
Hi, I'm using this plan 1 year unlimited for $180. Lately, I put $100 extra through the stuff at the shop, because I wanted to top up my money for day time calling. But, I can't see that $100 on my account. Also, I remembered last time I topped up, I paid $200 and I just saw $60 or something on my account. Could you explain what happened on my account. After I put $100, I didn't use my phone call at all.

Your best bet is likely to call 1 855 654 2244 and take option 2  and ask a prepaid Customer service rep  what is going on with your account.  Please come back and tell us how you got along . Smiley Wink

lkj2
I'm here a lot

Pay as you go 1 year now $180?

Apparently i didn't know about this rate increase (from $120 to $180) until one month before my existing plan needs to be renewed (expires early April). And I didn't get a notice about this rate increase back in Jul 2017 when they announced.

I bought the $120 pay as you go plan two years ago when they first rolled out this unlimited text and weeknight/weekend talk plan. I thought the plan would be grandfathered and the price would be locked in for however long I am a customer even if they don't offer this plan anymore. Is it my misunderstanding?  I think I was told that once I sign up at $120 I'll be paying $120 forever. Or is it not what "grandfathered" mean? 

Why are we existing customers have to pay $60 more now... Is this rate hike justifiable? It's a 50% increase! 

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

That plan, or one very similar, began as a $100 special promotion, then jumped to $120 and as you can see, now it's $180.  You need to be wary of any "specials" like this because the aim is to suck you in and then keep jacking up the price as years go by. I actually signed up for it when it was $100, but quickly realized  it didn't suit me and called back to revert to my original PayGo plan the carries a balance, applying the $100 to a top-up.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

lkj2
I'm here a lot

thanks for you explanation Oldyellr. I somehow thought the increase only applies to new customers and i get to keep the one im having (ie $120/yr)

Can you explain to me how yours work? its not a monthly nor annual pay as you go?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lkj2 : 

Some people, like @OLDYELLR and me are on a grandfathered "Anytime" plan from years ago.  It is no longer available.  @lkj2 You'll need to go with any of the current plans.

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/plans?cm_sp=wireless-_-pay_as_you_go-_-plans_ba...

Topic Stats