cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling 5G on Sony Xperia 5 IV

charitha19
I plan to stick around

Hello,

So i got the new xperia 5 IV, and was wondering why i was not getting 5G, when clears the phone supports it and the bands are compatible as well. Changed the SIM through a rogers store, and nothing. I am guessing this is because the IMEI is not actiated from rogers, it is insane to me that they will not do this because "its not a supported rogers device" . . This is a network enablement, and the risk is on my side because if 5G is not working properly i can force the phone to use 4G instead. 

I cant understand for the life of me why rogers will not do this for me, and i have already informed that i will be reluctantly switching carriers if they don't do this, I have been with rogers for a decade now.

This should not be rogers liability issue since the phone is not even bought from rogers.

Chad

24 REPLIES 24

Re: Enabling 5G on Sony Xperia 5 IV

RogersMaude

Good day @charitha19,

Thank you for posting about your situation to the Rogers Community! We're sorry to hear you're thinking of switching service provider because of the problems you're experiencing with the third-party device you purchased.

Since you posted, have you made sure your plan was 5G enabled?

Access to 5G may not work because it may not be turned on within your device for our network compatibility, which would explain why you can't connect. Did you reach out to Sony directly for assistance with your phone?

You can turn 5G by visiting the settings, then search for Preferred network type or Network mode. Finally, restart your phone once you've saved the changes. 

Because the phone you're using is not one Rogers ever carried, our system may not recognze your phone's IMEI even if we managed to manually add it on your account.

Keep us posted!

RogersMaude

charitha19
I plan to stick around

Tks for getting back, yes i have already spoken to one of your customer care agents, and opened a ticket as well, i was a former telecom employee. so i did do all the steps you have mentioned, including changing the SIM as well through rogers. Sony has no issue here, since the 5G bands of the phone support the bands rogers has :). this is a matter of binding the IMIE which again is a bit ludacris to me since network is not a really a SIM enabled feature like voicemail or SIM push messages.  C184320417 is the ticket #

Network is set to preferred : 5GNR/LTE/WCDMA/GSM

I am on a Rogers Infinite Plan

here are the 5G bands for the xperia 5 IV

5G bands1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6 - Europe
 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6 - USA
 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 28, 38, 40, 41, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA/Sub6 - Asia

charitha19
I plan to stick around

Bumping this up, i have not received any feedback on my ticket as well.  C184320417

Its insane to me that a paying customer who is also a loyal customer to rogers can't get 5G enabled on their phone just coz its not in the rogers catalog, there are millions of phones that are not in the rogers catalog with the 5G capability, 5G is not a rogers technology, its a network protocol, if the phone supports it and if it's in a 5G covered area it should automatically connect to it, unless you have this IMEI binding . . 

and even if its "not tested by rogers" let the customer deal with it, you enable my 5G and if its unstable i will force the phone to go to 4G instead. very simple.

please let me know the way forward.

Hello @charitha19,

We can certainly appreciate the time it is taking for this matter to be investigated. As soon as an update is available for your ticket, you'll be notified of the findings.

I'd also like to direct your attention to a helpful document found here. It provides some tips to help get your third party device up and running on the Rogers network as well as a list of the 5G frequencies that we support. 

Please keep in mind that we can’t guarantee the performance of devices that have not been tested on our network. Some services may not function as they normally would because of differences in configuration.

Kind regards,

RogersYasmine

charitha19
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the replay, but i was told by a customer service agent, that my ticket was closed, without even sending me an explanation of why !  i am getting conflicting information on this forum and on a customer support chat. the customer support person is saying that 5G should just naturally work on any device that supports it. and here i get information that the IMEI has to be activated by rogers? so what is the correct information, i have all the chat transcripts saved as well if you need them.

Chad

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

charitha19
I plan to stick around

this does not help. because ur FAQ says this

Can I bring my own 5G or 5G+ device?

Yes, but we suggest you check with the manufacturer if your device is certified for use on our network.

and ur customer service agent on my last chat said that is not the case, but there is a nuance here of "certified to use". that's the catch here, there are millions of 5G compatible phones with all the bands, that rogers cant possibly certify. this means they have to do it individually when customers ask, and that is what i am asking. AS a customer i will take the risk if 5G becomes unstable on my phone, as i can change it back to use only 4G.

charitha19
I plan to stick around

Question for you guys, does the phone have to support all 4 bands to connect to 5G?

600 MHz

N71 (DSS)

1700/2100 MHz (AWS)

N66 (DSS)

2500 MHz

N41

3500 MHz

N78

Hey @charitha19 ,

I realize a ticket was already submitted but I did not realize that it had already been closed with no resolution. Would you be so kind as to send us a PM when you are available so we can check a few things on your account? I want to be sure nothing important was missed. 

For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

Also, as long as your device meets all of the compatibility requirements and is accessing one of the frequencies listed, then the 5G should work.

Thank you!

RogersYasmine

Jamesyo01
I've been here awhile
Hello, was there a resolution for this issue, I too have the Xperia 5 Iv with all supporting bands for 5G and am unable to get it to work.

charitha19
I plan to stick around
Hi
Yes. Rogers couldn't figure it out. They closed my ticket stating everything is fine from the network side. Me looking into it more. Then found out the solution. If you have a phone with dual sim. U have to disable DSDS.

Punch in this into your phone dial pad

*#*#4636#*#*

Then in the menu toggle the DSDS off. It should be in enable state by default.

I have told Rogers to add this instructions for any dual sim phones. Since DSDS seems to be the culprit.

Jamesyo01
I've been here awhile
Appreciate this, yes it worked! Sony is making us work hard to get the 5g. Have you experienced dropped calls or reception issues with the phone?

charitha19
I plan to stick around

not yet, but i don't get many calls these days :), it's all text and data. also make sure the 4g option is set. "4G Calling" if u are experiencing poor quality of calls using 5G. and i think this issue is across all the phones that have dual sim capability, the DSDS dual sim dual standby feature is somehow interfering with 5G access. 

Jamesyo01
I've been here awhile
Ok great, I'll give it a shot! I do love this phone, but there are definitely some quirks. Call quality is always excellent but have had calls drop even with full bars. Also seem to have almost no bars in my house in downtown Toronto, odd. I'll try this now fingers crossed. Thanks

charitha19
I plan to stick around

if u r getting no bars for 5G try forcing it to 4G prefered and see if u get bars, if u do, then its a coverage issue with rogers. because being close to a tower or downtown doesn't automatically mean u get full bars unfortunately. 

grwl
I plan to stick around

Hi,

I have Xperia 1 II (XQ-AT52) dual sim version and also don't get 5G. I tried turning off DSDS. but it toggles back one when I exit the menu.

charitha19
I plan to stick around

Once ur in the DSDS menu, turn it off, and wait for the 5G signal to come back. then turn it on again. and then only exit the services menu.

grwl
I plan to stick around

Looks like it will not work on Xpeira 1 II. This is what I did.

1. disable DSDS.

2. Set preferred network type: NR Only

Waited for 5 mins, and still no network

charitha19
I plan to stick around

I see, then it might be a band issue. did u check the 5G bands with what Rogers provides, also u have to wait in the services menu not exit, i presume u did that?

grwl
I plan to stick around

Following are the bands which my phone supports (SA/NSA (1, 3, 28, 78)

and flowing are supported by Rogers 

600 MHz

N71 (DSS)

1700/2100 MHz (AWS)

N66 (DSS)

2500 MHz

N41

3500 MHz

N78

Topic Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 14 Likes