cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create app password for Rogers Email

Bilottag
I've been here awhile

Trying to set up my Rogers e-mail account on Outloook Mobile on Android.

Went to Member Centre, chose Account Information then Authorized Applications.
Clicked Add Another, Named it and clicked Generate.  Keep getting error: Rogers App Error.jpg

*** Edited Labels ***

123 REPLIES 123

Re: Unable to create app password for Rogers Email

danno100
I plan to stick around

Well here is an update on the password issue. After contacting Rogers again, I got a case# and after about 4 days got an email back from Management support centre to touch base with them. Well it went from one person, to a wireless support then they finally figured out what I was talking about and got me a fellow that knew what he was doing. To sum it up, the generator will NOT be fixed. Therefore my wife's account cannot be accessed through outlook and not at all using a cell phone, tablet etc. He had me try Yahoo for Android, and it did connect to rogers email, but the ad's are annoying and no way around this. So we will be moving the email to another platform and not use Rogers.com email anymore. Mine still works and I will be looking at moving mine also before I lose access also.

danno100
I plan to stick around

see my response above, same thing only Yahoo works and it has ads. Go to another email provider.

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor

Smart person danno100! Rogers treats its customers (us) as we have been treated because we have very limited choices. And even if we did, what are the chances that the CRTC and the federal government won't allow further mergers and takeovers in the future, limiting competition even more!?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@danno100 wrote:

1. see my response above, same thing only Yahoo works and it has ads.

2. Go to another email provider.

I assume you're talking about Yahoo, not Rogers/Yahoo via webmail?  Both have ads, on webmail, however, if you have a Yahoo e-mail address (similar to a Gmail address for example) you can use Outlook (not the web-based version) on your computer and there are no ads on the app/e-mail client, and you don't need an App PW for Yahoo or Gmail (on the latest version of Outlook 365 on a computer (not the web-based version).

Mail (Apple) on a device like an iPad or iPhone also doesn't require and app PW.  I believe similar e-mail apps for Android devices also don't need an App PW.

Yahoo offers a premium version that you need to pay for without ads.  Please do not confuse Yahoo and Rogers/Yahoo.

2. I hope you're talking about something like Yahoo or Gmail or a domain that you purchase because if you switch to another ISP (like Bell) you could end up in the same situation.  With Yahoo or Gmail you are not tied to your ISP and you can switch ISPs or move without changing your e-mail address.

chdiamo1

Forgive us for confusing Yahoo, Yahoo/Rogers and Rogers email, along with the seemingly countless versions of Outlook!! But Rogers has also made sure that their email will also no longer work with Thunderbird! Most likely an @rogers.com email won't work with other email apps either!! 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chdiamo1 wrote:

But Rogers has also made sure that their email will also no longer work with Thunderbird! Most likely an @rogers.com email won't work with other email apps either!! 

You are correct that, at this point, if you "lose" your App PW, an @rogers.com e-mail will only work with the "most recent, paid" version of Outlook and not with Mail or Thunderbird on a computer, although I thought I read of one person who got Thunderbird working...

Mail (and some other device apps) do work on tablets and phones.  That's why we don't hear from people who use tablets or phones for e-mail complaining.    This contingent is probably now the majority.

danno100
I plan to stick around

It does work with Thunderbird, without having to generate a password.

chdiamo1

My Thunderbird requires the App password. It keeps asking me for it.

Lorne4
I'm here a lot

Purchased new Win 11 desktop for wife about 6 months ago and downloaded latest version of Thunderbird. Her @rogers.com email works just fine. It never asked for an App password.

cliftonstroy
I plan to stick around

Rogers has deactivated The Generate Password  App since April of 2023 without informing its customers.

When Customers try to set up their Microsoft email using Generate password, via . Application Password Validation: msg says' Generating an app password is currently unavailable'

anon1001
I plan to stick around

So....
I'm on a Mac, usually using the Apple Mail app to access my rogers email account.
I see here that this issue first started back in 3-23, but I've been using the Mail app with no real issues until just last week when I started seeing caution icons next to my Mail mailboxes indicating some sort of a connection issue.
I was still receiving all my emails but I discovered that my outgoing emails were not being received and I was given no notifications that they had bounced.
So I started tinkering with the settings on my Mac.
At some point I was asked to reset my password, which I tried, but was given an error message to Try Again Later.
I could still log on  to the rogersmembercentre site and change my password there with no problems, but that same password would not work in the Mail app on my Mac.
So, I initiated a Chat session with a Rogers rep that went on for approx 2 hours before he finally explained what was going on to me.
And he gave me a link to this forum thread so that I would fully understand things.

So now I do understand, and this is RIDICULOUS.
The options I have now are:

1. Continue using just the Rogers web-based email service.
If I do this, I have no access to the years of past emails that I've moved into various Local Folders in my Mail app.
I can set up the same folder structure in the web-mail portal, but there is no way to import the contents of the Mac folders into the web-portal folders.
I'll also be able to access email on my iPhone and iPad which evidently don't need 'app passwords' whatever they are.
Why isn't there just one password?

2. That Rogers rep, while troubleshooting my issue, suggested that I delete my Rogers account on my Mac and then reinstall it, which I ended up doing, like an idiot, after the chat was over.
And then all of the emails in my Inbox and Sent folders on the Mac were suddenly empty because all those emails are actually stored on Rogers' server, not on my Mac's hard drive.
And of course, I can't reinstall Rogers email on the Mac because it fails when we get to the password stuff.
The other 'solutions' posed by Rogers reps on this and various other threads here on the same topic is to use GMail or sim rather than Rogers.
But there doesn't seem to be any way to import the years of content from my Mac mailboxes, or the 
Rogers Inbox and Sent folders, into GMail.
I'll know more about this after I've tinkered a bit with GMail, but I'll be really surprised if I can actually export/import all the stuff I need to into GMail.
I also need to find out if I can continue using my Rogers email address and have anything sent to that address Forwarded to my GMail account.
I doubt that this is possible.
And I'm on a Mac.
I hate using Google or MS products anyway.

At any rate, I could go on and on about how inconvenient and unconscionable this is.

Anything I'm missing?
Any suggestions about how best to resolve all of this?
Note: Switching providers at this point would be an even bigger hassle.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@anon1001 : I answered the questions you posted regarding Gmail in the following link:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-App-Password-Generator/m-p/523159/highlight/tr...

Additional information follows:

1. An App PW was something that was used for additional security starting a few year ago.  That is no longer used.  Apps on devices like Mail on an iPad or iPhone do not require an App PW.

2. On your Mac you can use the latest (paid) version of Outlook e-mail client.  It works without an App PW.  Some people have the latest version of Thunderbird working on their computers, but that was on Windows. I have no information regarding Thunderbird and Macs.

anon1001
I plan to stick around

I've downloaded Outlook for Mac and will check it out later.
So you're kind of blaming this on Apple.
Are they supposed to respond and then modify the Mail app so that it will work with your system?
When are THEY expected to do that?
Why I would ever have to use an MS email app on a Mac computer is beyond me.
I use a Mac so I don't have to deal with all of MS's or Google's 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@anon1001 wrote: 1. So you're kind of blaming this on Apple.

2. Are they supposed to respond and then modify the Mail app so that it will work with your system?
3. Why I would ever have to use an MS email app on a Mac computer is beyond me.
4. I use a Mac so I don't have to deal with all of MS's or Google's "i can't type the word I want to because then you'll delete this post".

1. Not at all. I've simply outlined the latest e-mail clients that no longer utilize an App PW since App PW are going (or gone) away.  Software develops all the time, sometimes causing us headaches.

2. I am not a Rogers employee.  I am a Rogers customer just like you. This is a peer to peer forum where Rogers customers try to help each other.  

3. I have 2 Apple computers, 2 iPads and 2 iPhones at home, so I know where you're coming from, however, I also use MS365 which has Excel, Word, Outlook, etc, which I have been using on my main computer "forever".  I use the hardware and software that I need to get things done and communicate with others for over 40 years.  

4.  I can't delete anything - see item 2.  I believe a civil tone will get you further than your current one.  Good luck.

anon1001
I plan to stick around

😞

chdiamo1

Could you please provide me the server settings for Rogers email for Windows 10? Rogers tech support says they can't provide that information because I'm using Thunderbird, which they no longer support. The Rogers support website offers links for this for iOS and Android devices but not Windows! I am really old and out of touch. Does anyone have those legacy settings? THANK YOU.

ryote49
I plan to stick around

Which ones are you looking for mate? The old ones do not work like broadband.rogers.com either Pop of Imap

What is the IMAP server for Rogers email? Note this will not work with Thunderbird so beware of this!
imap.mail.yahoo.com
Setup Your Rogers.com Account with Your Email Program Using IMAP
Rogers.com IMAP Server imap.mail.yahoo.com
IMAP port 993
IMAP security SSL / TLS
IMAP username Your full email address
IMAP password Your Rogers.com password

use your password from rogers members since generating has been shut down for good.

chdiamo1

Thank you ryote49. Are there any server settings that might work with Thunderbird? I assume the imap.mail.yahoo.com won't work, as you state in your post. Are there any server settings that will work with Thunderbird? If I hadn't had to reinstall my Windows 10 several months ago, my Outlook 2013 and my Thunderbird would continue working. While I have your eyes, Rogers now uses another security setting, OA2 or something like that. But I don't see it, along with SSL-TLS etc as a security option.

anon1001
I plan to stick around
FWIW
I've discovered what I think will be a doable workaround, at least for now.
I set up a Gmail account in such a way that it can send/receive emails from Rogers' servers.
Then I created an Account within the Apple Mail app for Google/Gmail.
And now I can access my Gmail account from within Mail itself rather than using Gmail's web-based portal.
I.e. I'm reading my Rogers emails via Gmail on my Mac using the Mail app.
This also allows me to copy all the emails from my numerous Mail Local Folders where I've been categorizing the various emails into Google folders with the same names.
It's almost like nothing has happened.
This will also allow me to continue using my Rogers email address as I leisurely switch over to using my Gmail address in the future.
A cloud-based email service like Gmail seems to be the smarter way to go forward, so that things like this, and/or my inevitable move to a different provider, don't happen again.

Further Update:
I switched from Apple Mail to Thunderbird Mac, and the whole system is actually really good, perhaps even better than before.
And it all works on my iPhone and iPad too using iOS Mail.
It can get a bit complicated sometimes so that I'm not sure what's actually happening.
But so far I've been able to figure it out.
My guess is that Apple will issue an update to Apple Mail sometime soon that makes needing an "app password" no longer necessary just lie it not necessary on an iOS device.
This whole thing, which took me a lot of hours to figure out and then fix, should never have happened in the first place.
People can continue to use my Rogers email address until I inform them about the new Gmail address.
Note to anybody thinking of just switching to Thunderbird:
TB Will still try to set up an app password when you go to create your Rogers/Yahoo email account and will therefore fail.
For any of this to work, all your email accounts have to go through Gmail first.

Topic Stats