cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with XB7 LED Indicator lights?

DrMike
I'm a trusted contributor

I have an XB7 and for the last couple of days the white LED indicator light at the top is not on. The modem however appears to be working OK - I have what seems to be full internet connections, my UL and DL speeds are as expected, and I can't see anything obviously wrong. My WiFi is OK and my IoT connections are OK

I have unplugged and rebooted etc and all returns to "normal" but the white light will not come on. I get amber and green lights as it reboots but no sustained white at the end.

Is it possible that the LED is simply "out" as in non-functioning or is there likely to be a problem that I am just not seeing. Should I be calling tech support? I don't want to bother them for no good reason but if this is a portent of something bad lurking that is going to go south I'd rather get ahead of it. Anyone experience this? Ignore for now? 

**Labels Added**

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Problem with XB7 LED Indicator lights?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DrMike  A multi-colour LED has internal red, green and blue emitters.  If the blue emitter failed, depending on how the circuit is wired, the module could still output green and yellow/amber but have a broken circuit path when emitting white.  It's quite possible that the rest of the modem/gateway is working fine.  You could also try pressing the WPS button on the back of the modem.  If the LED does not blink blue, that would confirm a broken LED.

Normally, I would ask Rogers to replace the gateway.  However, I would be wary of doing so now with all those reports of people losing service for days/weeks due to problems activating replacement hardware.

DrMike
I'm a trusted contributor

@-G- wrote:

Normally, I would ask Rogers to replace the gateway.  However, I would be wary of doing so now with all those reports of people losing service for days/weeks due to problems activating replacement hardware.

Would you mind expanding on this as this is not something I was aware of? Where/what is the bottleneck? Rogers staff? Faulty hardware? Other?

Thanks.

@DrMike I don't think anyone really knows, or, if Rogers staff knows what the problem is, they're not providing any explanation to the public.  

Essentially, the tech will install a modem or Fibre Optical Network Terminal as well for fibre service, but, Rogers is unable to provide any service thru the modem or ONT/modem combo.  Is this a problem attaching the device to the account, or a problem with provisioning the correct speeds to the device, again, no one out in the public knows.  This provisioning problem is a known problem.  It could affect a customer for days or weeks, where the customer has no services.  So, its the luck of the draw these days when you end up with a new or different modem, it might work, or, it might not work for days or weeks.

Here are some very recent examples from within the forum:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/No-internet-since-modem-installation/m-p/523518/highl...

take a read thru this entire thread:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/No-Internet-for-5-Days/m-p/523296/highlight/true#M781...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Provisioning-Issue/m-p/523098/highlight/true#M78082

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation