cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create app password for Rogers Email

Bilottag
I've been here awhile

Trying to set up my Rogers e-mail account on Outloook Mobile on Android.

Went to Member Centre, chose Account Information then Authorized Applications.
Clicked Add Another, Named it and clicked Generate.  Keep getting error: Rogers App Error.jpg

*** Edited Labels ***

123 REPLIES 123

Re: Unable to create app password for Rogers Email

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor

Actually, the password generator has been broken since March 2023. Even old passwords generated won't work, even with the free Thunderbird app. This is what happens when the public has limited choices and the few that are available are dependent on companies outside of Canada.

gregneff
I plan to stick around

I have my Rogers main account MFA enabled, and using the regular email passwords for several Rogers emails works for me.  Win 11 and Outlook 365.  Also works on iOS.

danno100
I plan to stick around

Maybe they should put this on their site so no one will use their . email. They sure post when there is a price increase. Greedy!!!!

chdiamo1

What is MFA and how do I enable it in Thunderbird or Outlook 2013? This might be the answer so many of us are looking for. I have heard that subscription Outlook 365 doesn't need the app password but Thunderbird does.

gregneff
I plan to stick around

MFA is multi-factor authentication.  It has nothing to do with the email account settings.  MFA is for your main Rogers account, where you sign in to get your statements, check usage, etc.  In your account profile, you can enable MFA and use a mobile phone number for authentication.

chdiamo1

Thanks for the explanation of MFA. I have it on so many things that I don't want to add it to my rogers email account. It could become quite expensive when I travel outside Canada to have to access my cell phone text messages to get my emails. 

cliftonstroy
I plan to stick around

I am planning to lodge a complaint with Rogers Technical Management this or next week. If I don't hear back from them within two week I plan to contact CBC Marketplace and if necessary lodge a complaint with the CRTC. Rogers have been abusing its Customers. 

cliftonstroy
I plan to stick around

Before contacting the CRTC, first contact Rogers Technical Upper Management. If they ignore you then contact CBC Marketplace who will go and interview the upper level Rogers Management. The CRTC should be the last resort since the CRTC complaint process is slow and cumbersome. The fastest solution is to complain to Rogers Technical Management  via their Complaint System

csiandassociate
I'm here a lot

Microsoft 365 has a "new outlook" that does not require an authorization password from Rogers.  I  had the same problem as everyone else and was unable to use outlook since March.  With the Microsoft 365 "new outlook", I was able to download, use my rogers email address and transfer all my information with no issues.

cliftonstroy
I plan to stick around

The password Generator has been disabled since Spring of 2023 without Rogers informing us (its loyal customers? 

I suggest that you lodge a complaint via the Rogers Complaint System. Let us know how it works out.

I plan to lodge a complaint this week and I shall keep  this Forum appraised of how it goes.

I have had Microsoft Outlook 2019 for years now   

Is the upgrade to the Microsoft 365 'new outlook' free or what is the cost ?

chdiamo1

CBC's Marketplace is an excellent suggestion! 

chdiamo1

Rogers email will still not work with Thunderbird, which does require a special password that Rogers refuses to provide. Most likely it is the same with other email programs that provide a higher degree of security such as purchased Outlook. 

chdiamo1

I think the Microsoft family of 365 applications is a paid subscription service. So, I am not surprised that it doesn't require an application password. It would not surprise me if Microsoft and Rogers had some type of arrangement. But that has only been a thought, wonder I've had for several months now. I suppose if Thunderbird became a paid subscription service, like Microsoft 365, it also might not require an application password either. It makes me wonder what Rogers knows but isn't telling its customers?

csiandassociate
I'm here a lot

Yes Microsoft 365 is a paid subscription approximately $100 year for the family version.  I was already paying for this application in order to use word and excel so this worked out well for me.  For those of you who enjoyed using outlook this is a good solution as we don't know if Rogers will ever allow customers to create an application password ever again.

cliftonstroy
I plan to stick around

This is the reply I received from Rogers Technical  Escalation Management concerning the complaint

Hello,

I am contacting you from Rogers Technical Escalation Team regarding a concern you shared with us on our website. We appreciate your trust in our services and allowing us the opportunity to address your technical concern.

Currently, there is no update on if or when the feature to generate an app password on the Rogers Email Member Centre will be restored by Yahoo. We would like to apologize for any inconveniences. We recommend our customers to use the latest versions of Outlook that do not require the use of an app password, such as Outlook 365 or the new Outlook for Windows 11.

If you have any further questions or concerns, we recommend you contacting us at your earliest convenience using one of the following options:

Regards, 

Technical Escalation Management

Rjam
I've been here awhile

I AM using Outlook 365 and it doesn't work. If you know how to make this work please contact me.  This lack of integration with Outlook is a costly problem for us.

chdiamo1

Microsoft has several different iteration of an email program they call "Outlook". There is the Outlook email application people bought as a stand alone email application. Then there is an "old" Outlook email that is web based. Now there is a "New Outlook" web based email application. Microsoft has another "Outlook" email application, also web based and called "Outlook 365". It's the purchased stand alone "Outlook", such as Outlook 2013, 2016, 2020 etc. that no longer work with Rogers email, as those "Outlook" applications require the Yahoo password that Rogers won't supply. No doubt Microsoft will come up with yet another iteration of an email application that will also be called "Outlook". Depending which iteration of you have seems to determine if you can use it for Rogers email or not. The days of outright software purchase are long gone. The password issue shows that our earlier iterations of "Outlook" are now useless, at least for Rogers email. This seems to be driven by Yahoo, Rogers and Microsoft. If we are unhappy with how Rogers has treated us, I guess we can move to another area of the province served by another cable/internet service provider.

danno100
I plan to stick around

Agree, but I have so many sites, contacts with @rogers.com...I guess it's time to get off their servers once and for all.

ve3tej
I plan to stick around

Yes I have been unable to use outlook on my android phone to.  I got a new phone and I get a error message everytime I try to add rogers to it.

chdiamo1

Now, imagine if you had bundled ALL your services with Rogers (or anyone else!)!! What a pickle we'd all be in, if we had bundled ALL our services with one provider, just to save a few dollars (and very well have lost ALL services at the same time!).

Topic Stats