Slower download speed in bridge mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Slower download speed in bridge mode

Problem solved.  It was QoS (but with a twist).

Due to time constraints, I never got to troubleshoot further the problem I originally posted about.  I left my Hitron in Gateway mode despite having a Cisco router downstream of it.  It worked (~600/20Mbps) even though I knew it is bad idea to have two devices doing routing in my network.

Upon seeing @edgewater's post above, I revisited the issue.  I checked my Cisco router's QoS setting.  It was OFF.  (Check box empty.)  On a lark, I decided to turn QoS ON.  With my Hitron in bridge mode, after I turned QoS ON, I went from 80/20Mbps to 90/10Mbps.  Hmmmm.  Something is going on here.  🙂

Then, I turned QoS OFF and I got:

QoS.jpg

So, apparently, on my Cisco RV130W, you have to toggle QoS ON and OFF in order to actually turn off QoS.  YMMV.

Thanks everyone for helping me solve this problem.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@LaraBeagle, good find.  Congrats.  Who would have thought, turn the QOS on, then turn it OFF.  Yup, definitely a good find 🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have a coda-4582u modem and an asus ac86u router, around a month or two ago i noticed my speeds were cut to around 90-100mbps. I chatted with rogers and they suggested its my router, sure enough after turning off bridge mode and using just rogers' modem my speeds were back to 700mbps. Today i bought an identical router and the speeds are still hovering around 90-100mbps. What gives, is rogers neutering bridge mode or something?

I tried disabling qos many times and its still slow, on a new router qos is off anyway so i didn't even have time to enable it after i turned it on. The weird thing is everything was working fine with qos for over a year, not sure why this issue popped up.

Highlighted

Hello, @forcefed.

Thank you for your post; speed dropping under 100 Mbps can be unsettling.

We can work towards sorting out this mystery for you; please answer the following: 

• What's the flashing light colour on the Ethernet ports? You can check both at the modem and your router. It should flash amber.
  • For testing purposes, leave the modem in bridge mode, remove your router and connect your computer. What's the speed do you get in this configuration? You may have to reboot the modem if your PC doesn't get an IP address.

Please keep us posted. I'm sure @Datalink may have more ideas on this subject. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Its green on the modem, router doesn't have any lights on the ports.

When i connected it to my pc in bridge mode it turned amber on the modem and speeds were back to 700mbps, hmm interesting. I tried a few different network cables between the modem and router but that didn't do anything. Starting to think it was a firmware update to the router that screwed everything up.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@forcefed I'm running a 4582 with firmware version 7.1.1.33 and 86U with the firmware version 384.19 (latest Merlin version), without any issues other than the usual slow or impossible to access modem after a few days.  

1.  What firmware version do you currently have in the modem? 

2.  If you have 7.1.1.33 or any of the 7.x versions loaded, have you done a modem reboot and possibly a modem factory reset?

3.  What firmware version are you running in the 86U?

4.  Are the modem and router connected via short commercially produced cable, or is there any house ethernet cabling involved?

If you plug the modem's WAN output to either the 86Us WAN or any LAN port, the modem's connected port LED should flash amber, indicating a 1 Gb/s connection between the two devices.  Flashing green indicates a 10/100 Mb/s connection between the two devices.  It doesn't make sense at this point that you end up with a 100 Mb/s connection between the two devices.  I'm curious at this point as to what you see if you connect the modem's WAN port to any of the 86U's LAN ports.  That should produce an amber flashing LED indicating a 1 Gb/s connection. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

1) 7.1.1.32
2) reboot yes, reset no
3) 3.0.0.4.384_82072
4) yes they're right next to each other, i'm using the yellow cable that came with the rogers modem, but i tried two others and its still showing a green light between the two.

So i connected a cable from modem to one of the lan ports on the router and it flashed amber, i then connected that same cable to the wan port on the router and it flashed amber once or twice but then went back to flashing green. Same behaviour happened from the other ports on the rogers modem, so its not the cable.

Almost seems like 1gbps handshake between the two isn't correct and it defaults back to 100mbps, but if i connect it straight to my pc bypassing the asus router its fine, strange.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok.  Try this.  Separate the modem and router by a few feet instead of locating them side by side.  I have mine about 10 feet apart.  So, if you have a longer ethernet cable available, give that a go.

What port are you using on the modem?  Top port is port 1, bottom port is port 4, etc, etc.

Fwiw, I have a 68U connected to port 3 and the 86U connected to port 4.  

Take a careful look at the WAN port on the 86U, to check for any damage to the contacts within the housing. 

Edit:  Can you have a look at the back of the modem to see what modem model you have, a 4582 U or 4582 U 2A.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I can only separate them by 5 feet, issue is still there.
I tried all ports on the modem just now, but usually it was in the top one.
Wan port looks perfect.
Its 4582U h/w is 2A
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, very interesting.  I wouldn't expect an issue with a 2A version.  Try this.  Log into the modem and kick it back into Gateway mode.  Keep in mind, login when in Bridge mode is at 192.168.100.1, login for Gateway mode is 192.168.0.1. 

When you're back in Gateway mode, navigate to the Advanced tab (far right hand side) and turn off ports 1 and 2, and possibly port 3 (your choice).  That leaves port 4 (bottom port) and possibly port 3 available for use.  You can confirm that the port disable works at this point by trying to connect to ports 1 and 2.  They should be dead.  Ports 4 and 3(?) should be live.  

With the modem in Gateway mode, run a speedtest thru the router, just to see what you get, using the www.speedtest.net Toronto, Montreal or Ottawa Rogers server, whichever is closer.  

When you're done, disable the BASIC .... Residential Gateway Function to kick the modem back into Bridge mode.  

I'll be interested in the results at this point.  With the modem now in Bridge mode and at least two ports disabled, does the modem remain connected to the 86U at 1 Gb/s or kick back down to 10/100 Mb/s?

Fwiw, I've had ports 1 and 2 disabled now for a very long time and never had a any problems except for the initial modem instability when 7.1.1.30 loaded.  A reboot and modem flip into Gateway mode and back to Bridge mode seemed to solve the initial speed instability.  I've never had any problems with ports 3 and 4 running in gigabit connect mode.