cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers IPv6 Status

foodgodessto
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm wondering what the current IPv6 status is within Rogers.  A search on the forums only shows 10 topics over the past year that even mention IPv6, and there doesn't appear to be any official communications from Rogers since IPv6 day last year.

I know that Rogers (supposedly) supports IPv6 tunneling (although the only person to ask about it did not get any responses).

602 REPLIES 602

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

@Pashator

Are you still experiencing an issue with IPv6? I'd like to look into that if you do.

Would you mind sending me a private message @RogersDave with the full traceroute (including your modem IP) and your modem MAC address.

Thanks

Dave

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

@RogersDave wrote:

@Pashator

Are you still experiencing an issue with IPv6? I'd like to look into that if you do.

Would you mind sending me a private message @RogersDave with the full traceroute (including your modem IP) and your modem MAC address.

Thanks

Dave

I don't know if it's related, but a deli I frequent, at Steeles & Yonge, also has experienced IPv6 issues, starting a few weeks ago.  That location is not far from Richmond Hill.

BTW, that deli is where I first noticed Rogers had IPv6 avaialble.

It may or may not be related but if they are experiencing IPv6 issues, I'm interested in hearing about it.

It might be harder to provide the modem MAC address in that case but a full traceroute and maybe the IP your computer/device was getting would be a good starting point for me to investigate.

Dave

JKnott

@RogersDave wrote:

It may or may not be related but if they are experiencing IPv6 issues, I'm interested in hearing about it.

It might be harder to provide the modem MAC address in that case but a full traceroute and maybe the IP your computer/device was getting would be a good starting point for me to investigate.

Dave

OK.  However, it will be Saturday before I'm back there.  I'll have to take my notebook computer, as I normally use my tablet.

JKnott

@Datalink wrote:

If you think down the road, possibly near road, Docsis 3.1 will be emerging with multi-gigabit speeds.  That's going to take serious horsepower to support multi-gig rates with various security functions running.  There is also the issue of multi-gig ports which @VivienM mentioned.  That's going be built into the motherboard or added with an expensive 10 Gig card.  There is also the issue of the recent spec IEEE approval of multi-gig data rate specs, specifically 2.5 over Cat 5e and 5 Mb/s over Cat 6.  When that percolates down into the consumer market, its going to make 1 Gb/s and multi Gb/s data rates easier to handle within local networks.  Hopefully it will reduce some of the cost as well.  Only problem is, its not here yet!

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/09/5gbps-ethernet-standard-details-8023bz/

That's nothing.  100Gb is on the way!

http://www.eweek.com/networking/broadcom-begins-sampling-64-port-100gbe-ethernet-chips.html?utm_medi...

We have made some corrections last night and believe that the IPv6 issues experienced by some users in the last couple of days are now fully resolved.

If you are still experiencing an issue, send me a private message with your modem MAC address so that I can investigate further.

Dave

goodboyr
I plan to stick around

I have read through this thread, and now with the current situation resolved at your end, could you recommend the appropriate ipv6 settings to be used in routers. In particular,connection type, dns server etc.  And is this different if you have a netgear router in the system?

@goodboyr, have a look at the following post:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/365...

That should be fairly close to what you need to set on a netgear router. 

Take note of the fact that netgear routers filter IPV6 ICMP which is required to run IPV6. 

What you might have to do is enable Native IPV6, DHCP-PD, and Router Advertisement and select Stateless IPV6 to start.  Save that and reboot the router so that it picks up the IPV6 address from the CMTS.  After that, log back into the router to confirm that it has an IPV6 address.  That is what I normally do with my Asus RT-AC68U router.  You will either have to reboot the pc or run ipconfig/release, ipconfig/renew commands at a command prompt.

When that is done, go to ipv6-test.com to see what turns up for final score.  The IPV6 hostname will not be available as Rogers does not assign one.  If you see that IPV6 ICMP is not available, you could enter an exemption for IPV6 ICMP in the Windows and anti-virus firewalls and reboot the pc.  Try the ipv6-test.com test again to see what score turns up.  I'll be interested in the final score.  If you still end up with missing IPV6 ICMP, that would confirm that a Netgear router filters IPV6 ICMP.  If thats the case then you will have to decide what to do.  I haven't seen any information posted anywhere as to what effect the filtering has on IPV6 operation. 

Also, run a speedtest at http://speedtest.xfinity.com/   That runs an IPV4 and IPV6 speedtest.  If you see a large discrepancy between the IPV4 and IPV6 results, as in the IPV6 is much lower, that could imply that the IPV6 traffic is subjected to packet scans that is not applied to the IPV4 traffic.  Asus routers have an AI Protection available that includes Malicious Sites Blocking, Infected Device Prevention and Blocking, and Vulnerability Protection, all of which can be enabled or disabled separately.  When those are enabled, the combined effect drops the IPV6 speedtest results pretty dramatically.  I don't know if Netgear routers have similar protection issues with IPV6, but, the speedtest will point that out.  Any drop might also be attributable to the IPV6 ICMP filtering, so, you're going to have to do some research to determine which component to blame.

Hope this helps.

JKnott

@Datalink wrote:
When that is done, go to ipv6-test.com to see what turns up for final score.  The IPV6 hostname will not be available as Rogers does not assign one.

Actually, it does for the WAN IPv6 address.  What it does not do is provide host name for a computer behind the router.  Also, the computer address is often a "privacy address" that changes periodically, so even if you have a DNS record for the MAC based address, the privacy address will not have a host name.

It is hard to describe in a single post all the settings on various brands of routers.

Although this is not officially supported, I have compiled below the correct settings on a few brands of routers. When it comes to DNS settings, the Rogers DNS does perform well and provides the advantage of directing traffic to the closest cache/CDN when applicable (Google/Youtube/Akamai) but some users prefer to use a third party (Google, OpenDNS) DNS service provider. That is strictly a matter of personal preference and I can’t comment on this.

Note that I didn’t have access to all the routers below so this is based on available documentation in most cases. I welcome feedback and will update this post accordingly.

Rogers IPv6 Settings for TP-Link routers
In the IPv6 Support / IPv6 Setup menu on the left hand side:

• Enable IPv6: checked
  • WAN Connection Type: DHCPv6
  • Get IPv6 prefix delegation: selected
  • Get IPv6 DNS server automatically: selected
  • IPv6 Address Assign Type: SLAAC

Rogers IPv6 Settings for Linksys routers

In the Router Settings / Connectivity / Internet Settings / IPv6 menu:

• Connection Type: Automatic
  • IPv6 – Automatic: Enabled
  • 6rd Tunnel: Disabled

Rogers IPv6 Settings for ASUS routers

In the Advanced Setup / IPv6 menu:

• Internet Connection Type: Native
  • DHCP-PD: Enable
  • Auto Configuration Settings: Stateless
  • Connect to DNS Server automatically: Enable
  • Enable Router Advertisement: Enable

Rogers IPv6 Settings for Netgear routers

In the ADVANCED / Advanced Setup / IPv6 menu:

• Internet Connection Type: DHCP
  • IPv6 Domain Name Server (DNS) Address: Get automatically from ISP
  • LAN Setup: Auto Config

Rogers IPv6 Settings for pFSense firewall

In WAN Interface menu:

• Use IPv4 connectivity as parent interface: yes
  • Request only a IPv6 prefix: no
  • DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation Size: 64
  • Send IPv6 prefix hint: yes

In LAN Interface menu:

• IPv6 Configuration Type: track interface
  • IPv6 Interface: WAN
  • IPv6 Prefix ID: 0

In Advanced Settings / Network menu:

• Allow IPv6: enabled

pFSense may need to be rebooted for the configuration changes to take effect.

JKnott

@RogersDave

You might also want to investigate pfSense.  Many people use it, as it's a much better firewall than those boxes you mentioned and especially those Hitron boxes.  I went with pfSense because the Hitron firewall was so bad.

@JKnott wrote:

@RogersDave

You might also want to investigate pfSense.  Many people use it, as it's a much better firewall than those boxes you mentioned and especially those Hitron boxes.  I went with pfSense because the Hitron firewall was so bad.

Done. Let me know if I got this right.

I also wanted to post an Edgerouter working configuration but that will fill the page...

That should be posted as a "How to" somewhere, with Edgerouter configuration as well if you have it.  That way, it wouldn't get buried in the thread. 

JKnott

@RogersDave wrote:

@JKnott wrote:

@RogersDave

Done. Let me know if I got this right.

I also wanted to post an Edgerouter working configuration but that will fill the page...

Where did you "done" it?  😉

I don't see any link or reference.

Look at message #325 above, I edited it to include pFSense.

JKnott

Got it.  I had to refresh the page.  I have posted the info on the pfSense forum and linked to the full article on Digital Home Canada.

Pashator
I've been here awhile

Thanks a lot Dave! Works fine now

JKnott

@RogersDave wrote:

Dave

It's now working.  I guess what Rogers did in Richmond Hill fixed it.

JKnott

I forgot to include the traceroute:

traceroute to ipv6.google.com (2607:f8b0:400b:807::200e), 30 hops max, 80 byte packets
 1  2607:fea8:3b9f:fd21::1 (2607:fea8:3b9f:abcd::1)  1.549 ms  2.782 ms  3.316 ms
 2  * * *
 3  2607:f798:10:c95:0:661:8509:1165 (2607:f798:10:c95:0:661:8509:1165)  19.268 ms  19.848 ms  19.964 ms
 4  * * *
 5  2607:f798:10:295::2 (2607:f798:10:295::2)  20.953 ms  20.882 ms  20.843 ms
 6  2001:4860:1:1:0:32c:0:8 (2001:4860:1:1:0:32c:0:8)  20.755 ms  13.902 ms  19.329 ms
 7  2001:4860::1:0:713a (2001:4860::1:0:713a)  30.877 ms  24.143 ms  31.840 ms
 8  2001:4860:0:1::4ab (2001:4860:0:1::4ab)  24.053 ms  24.060 ms  24.055 ms
 9  yyz08s10-in-x0e.1e100.net (2607:f8b0:400b:807::200e)  21.930 ms  22.450 ms  22.454 ms

This may show if the Richmond Hill change was what caused the problem.

The IPv6 issue we fixed was affecting subnet 2607:fea8:3b80::/42 which is within the modem subnet in that trace.

So yes, that is the issue we fixed.

JKnott

@Datalink wrote:
Also, run a speedtest at http://speedtest.xfinity.com/   That runs an IPV4 and IPV6 speedtest.

I tried that and here's my results on my 60/10 plan:

http://results.speedtest.xfinity.com/result/1415993844.png

However, I suspect their distance estimate is a bit off.  😉