Rogers XB6 (Ignite WiFi Hub) Router does not Reserve static IPs

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
User4074
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers XB6 (Ignite WiFi Hub) Router does not Reserve static IPs

@RogersCorey

Please re-read the concerns in this thread.  We are not talking about reserving static residential IP addresses.

RogersDarrell
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you @User4074 

It appears @Don_Ca clarified that in the previous post.

Traneld
I've Been Here Awhile

Looking forward a solution as well.  I’m relatively new to Rogers Ignite WiFI and before I switched I was promised it would not be an issue configuring the internal static IP settings.  I can see an option to set the dynamic range but not assign static addresses. 

Don_Ca
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The option is there for IP address reservations (different than static, see below), in fact there are two ways to do it.

1. Connected devices find the device, click EDIT and then click reserved IP.

2. Connected Devices click Add Device with Reserved IP.

The problem is neither works, right now.  

A static IP address is something set on the device, a reservation is something set on the DHCP server.  There is a difference.  If you have static and DHCP, you need to have your static IPs set outside the range of the DHCP server. 

My solution, being an IT guy, for anything I want with the same IP address is to set a static one on the device itself. This is how I would do it at work or home, I would not use reservations. That is me, and I know it can be tricky on some things to set the IP address (printers for example sometimes are).

Traneld
I've Been Here Awhile

I have just been informed by a moderator that Rogers does not support the assignment of internal IP address on the Ignite WiFi Hub service.  So I can only speculate this means one of three things

1) the process for doing it is too complicated for them to script a help desk solution.  Or

2) Rogers made revisions ( or never had the feature) without knowing the impact of what they were doing.   Or

3) Rogers knew exactly what they were doing and knew this would render older generation security systems and printers etc obsolete and this would drive some customers to their security system suit.  

I hope it is item 1 and somebody figures it out. 

Don_Ca

I would say they are wrong and or do not understand what we are talking about. The feature has always been there and is still there, but DHCP reservations do not work at the moment. To be more clear, existing ones do, but you cannot set new ones.
Traneld
I've Been Here Awhile

@Don_Ca   Thank you for your suggestion.  I implemented your proposed solution of assigning the fixed IP to the device by leaving the static IP assigned to the device the same and adjusting the Rogers Hub Dynamic IP range. In my situation the fixed IP settings on the devices were much higher in the range than the original dynamic range.  I am hoping this will help avoid a conflict when new devices are connected and the leases are renewed.  
As you predicted, I have yet to figure out how to change the static IP on the device but changing the dynamic range of the hub was rather easy.  A little scary when all the devices (Tablets, phones) lost connection and I wasn’t confident they would reconnect but they eventually did within a few minute.  
NOTE : Rogers has restricted the choices of IP range but these ranges are consistent with Rogers previous modems so it was not an issue for me. 
I have no training in this area so what I am providing below is just based on my own personal experience....

On your static IP devices, document their existing IP addresses. For me this was under the settings menu of each device.  (Do not) wait until everyone in the house is busy multi-tasking on the tv, gaming and video chatting. This will make everyone appreciate the WiFi service and give you lots of feedback that the system is down. 
The process I used on the Rogers Ignite Hub application was:  ( please read all the steps before attempting)

1) top left ‘notifications’ icon - press to open. 

2) I had a notification that had a link ‘See Network Details’. This opens ‘My Network’.

3) scroll down towards the bottom and find ‘Advanced Settings’. 
4) choose the option of ‘LAN & WAN’

5) beside the ‘LAN’ title it should have an ‘Edit’ link

6) in edit mode, take a screen shot so you can always remember the original settings...just in case..  start by adjusting the ‘IP ADDRESS’. Note that this editable field only displays two digits so if you are using three digits only one or two of the digits will display depending on the mode you are in. Nothing changes until you activate the ‘Apply Changes’ button.  Adjust the ‘IP ADDRESS’ first and then the ‘START RANGE ’ and ‘END RANGE’ 

7) review twice confirming that the top IP Address is displayed in your start and end ranges and you have a  more than sufficient range for both your Static IP devices and the WiFi devices.  ‘Apply Changes’.

😎 it may take a minute for the modem to reset to the new IP address range. For some devices you will need to either re-power or force a reconnect to the network.  Other devices will reconnect automatically. If you have devices relying on Pods, it might take a little longer. 
9) once your device is reconnected, on the Rogers Ignite app, on the ‘Overview’ screen, open your WiFi network and review your connected devices to confirm all your smart home devices, smart phones, tablets etc reconnected.  If some of the devices have not reconnected, a power on /off or, a reboot or a WiFi settings adjustment may be required.  Since my IP range adjustment worked fine, I can’t help you beyond that.  
Good Luck. 

RogersCorey

Please allow me to clarify @Don_Ca.

We absolutely do understand what you are asking for but our scope of support is limited.

Please understand that our scope of support does not cover reserving static IPs even if it's a feature that may have been available on our equipment. There is certain advanced settings that we do not offer direct technical support for, like reserving static IPs or port forwarding.

I hope that makes it clear.

Regards,

RogersCorey

User4074
I'm Here A Lot

OK so... what now?

There is functionality in the XB6 modem that is not working. This has been confirmed by several users.

Who is the correct Rogers person to pass this information on to, so that Rogers can fix the problem?

Don_Ca

The apathy to fixing this has been shown. I think at this point we wait and hope that enough Comcast customers also had the problem and they issue a firmware fix. Rogers does not actual develop the new firmware.