cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers XB6 (Ignite WiFi Hub) Router does not Reserve static IPs

sikhness
I plan to stick around

Hi Guys,

A few weeks ago I was able to Reserve Static IPs on the XB6 Router correctly, however now whenever I try to do that I now get a "Failure! Please check your inputs." message.  I'm no longer able to set any Reserved IP addresses.  I feel like the Router was updated to a new firmware which made the list of Connected Devices show up in a more stable fashion but now Reserved IPs are not working at all.

Does anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it? I am on the following software version:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: Prod_19.3_d31 & Prod_19.3
Software Image Name: CGM4140COM_4.6p4s1_PROD_sey
Advanced Services: CGM4140COM
Packet Cable: 2.0

49 REPLIES 49

Re: Rogers XB6 (Ignite WiFi Hub) Router does not Reserve static IPs

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thank you @User4074 

It appears @Don_Ca clarified that in the previous post.

Traneld
I've been here awhile

Looking forward a solution as well.  I’m relatively new to Rogers Ignite WiFI and before I switched I was promised it would not be an issue configuring the internal static IP settings.  I can see an option to set the dynamic range but not assign static addresses. 

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

The option is there for IP address reservations (different than static, see below), in fact there are two ways to do it.

1. Connected devices find the device, click EDIT and then click reserved IP.

2. Connected Devices click Add Device with Reserved IP.

The problem is neither works, right now.  

A static IP address is something set on the device, a reservation is something set on the DHCP server.  There is a difference.  If you have static and DHCP, you need to have your static IPs set outside the range of the DHCP server. 

My solution, being an IT guy, for anything I want with the same IP address is to set a static one on the device itself. This is how I would do it at work or home, I would not use reservations. That is me, and I know it can be tricky on some things to set the IP address (printers for example sometimes are).

Traneld
I've been here awhile

I have just been informed by a moderator that Rogers does not support the assignment of internal IP address on the Ignite WiFi Hub service.  So I can only speculate this means one of three things

1) the process for doing it is too complicated for them to script a help desk solution.  Or

2) Rogers made revisions ( or never had the feature) without knowing the impact of what they were doing.   Or

3) Rogers knew exactly what they were doing and knew this would render older generation security systems and printers etc obsolete and this would drive some customers to their security system suit.  

I hope it is item 1 and somebody figures it out. 

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
I would say they are wrong and or do not understand what we are talking about. The feature has always been there and is still there, but DHCP reservations do not work at the moment. To be more clear, existing ones do, but you cannot set new ones.

Traneld
I've been here awhile

@Don_Ca   Thank you for your suggestion.  I implemented your proposed solution of assigning the fixed IP to the device by leaving the static IP assigned to the device the same and adjusting the Rogers Hub Dynamic IP range. In my situation the fixed IP settings on the devices were much higher in the range than the original dynamic range.  I am hoping this will help avoid a conflict when new devices are connected and the leases are renewed.  
As you predicted, I have yet to figure out how to change the static IP on the device but changing the dynamic range of the hub was rather easy.  A little scary when all the devices (Tablets, phones) lost connection and I wasn’t confident they would reconnect but they eventually did within a few minute.  
NOTE : Rogers has restricted the choices of IP range but these ranges are consistent with Rogers previous modems so it was not an issue for me. 
I have no training in this area so what I am providing below is just based on my own personal experience....

On your static IP devices, document their existing IP addresses. For me this was under the settings menu of each device.  (Do not) wait until everyone in the house is busy multi-tasking on the tv, gaming and video chatting. This will make everyone appreciate the WiFi service and give you lots of feedback that the system is down. 
The process I used on the Rogers Ignite Hub application was:  ( please read all the steps before attempting)

1) top left ‘notifications’ icon - press to open. 

2) I had a notification that had a link ‘See Network Details’. This opens ‘My Network’.

3) scroll down towards the bottom and find ‘Advanced Settings’. 
4) choose the option of ‘LAN & WAN’

5) beside the ‘LAN’ title it should have an ‘Edit’ link

6) in edit mode, take a screen shot so you can always remember the original settings...just in case..  start by adjusting the ‘IP ADDRESS’. Note that this editable field only displays two digits so if you are using three digits only one or two of the digits will display depending on the mode you are in. Nothing changes until you activate the ‘Apply Changes’ button.  Adjust the ‘IP ADDRESS’ first and then the ‘START RANGE ’ and ‘END RANGE’ 

7) review twice confirming that the top IP Address is displayed in your start and end ranges and you have a  more than sufficient range for both your Static IP devices and the WiFi devices.  ‘Apply Changes’.

😎 it may take a minute for the modem to reset to the new IP address range. For some devices you will need to either re-power or force a reconnect to the network.  Other devices will reconnect automatically. If you have devices relying on Pods, it might take a little longer. 
9) once your device is reconnected, on the Rogers Ignite app, on the ‘Overview’ screen, open your WiFi network and review your connected devices to confirm all your smart home devices, smart phones, tablets etc reconnected.  If some of the devices have not reconnected, a power on /off or, a reboot or a WiFi settings adjustment may be required.  Since my IP range adjustment worked fine, I can’t help you beyond that.  
Good Luck. 

Please allow me to clarify @Don_Ca.

We absolutely do understand what you are asking for but our scope of support is limited.

Please understand that our scope of support does not cover reserving static IPs even if it's a feature that may have been available on our equipment. There is certain advanced settings that we do not offer direct technical support for, like reserving static IPs or port forwarding.

I hope that makes it clear.

Regards,

RogersCorey

User4074
I plan to stick around

OK so... what now?

There is functionality in the XB6 modem that is not working. This has been confirmed by several users.

Who is the correct Rogers person to pass this information on to, so that Rogers can fix the problem?

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
The apathy to fixing this has been shown. I think at this point we wait and hope that enough Comcast customers also had the problem and they issue a firmware fix. Rogers does not actual develop the new firmware.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

I got a new firmware version overnight:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_19.3_d31 & Prod_19.3
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.4p10s2_PROD_sey
Advanced Services:CGM4140COM
Packet Cable:2.0

Reserved IP addresses work again. 

sikhness
I plan to stick around

You're definitely on an older firmware version than the one I have, this is what I have currently.

Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.6p7s1_PROD_sey

Reserving IPs definitely does not work on this version.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
So they broke it again on a newer version.

DWEnstrom
I've been here awhile

I'm on this version:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: Prod_19.3_d31 & Prod_19.3
Software Image Name: CGM4140COM_4.4p10s2_PROD_sey
Advanced Services: CGM4140COM
Packet Cable: 2.0

I have reserved two IP addresses, but my problem is that they now have the same IP address (and sometimes they don't ... they have the proper originally assigned IPs)!?

The other issue is that the Modem/Router seems to ignore these reserved IPs ... that is, when you Ping one of these addresses it will initially fail! What is this all about!???

I am on this version: 

Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.6p9s1_PROD_sey

And for sure the reservations are not working.

camisotro
I've been here awhile
I also have:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: Prod_19.3_d31 &
Software Image Name: CGM4140COM_4.6p9s1_PROD_sey
Prod_19.3

Same issue, cannot assign Reserved IP, getting message "Failure! Please check your inputs."

However I do have somewhat of a workaround. If I have the computer connected to the network and set up a port forward (any, doesn't matter what) at ignitewifi.rogers.com, choosing the device by name or MAC address, then... when I go back to Connected Devices on the gateway, the computer now shows up as "Reserved IP". I don't get a choice in which IP gets reserved, but it'll reserve whatever IP had been reserved by DHCP at the time of setup.

You beat me to adding that point, camisotro.

While I dont have specific IP reservations just plain set, I do have port forwarding set to my desktop/server.
And Its IP hasnt changed since I set up the forwarding. 
So the forwarding does a reservation as well.

Not sure why one would work and not the other then..

camisotro
I've been here awhile

My guess is that they borked up the modem's PHP page for setting port forwarding, but the underlying private Rogers-to-modem APIs still work. 

Fookaroo
I plan to stick around

Started getting this issue last week on my gateway as well. 

go to connected devices on the gateway once logging into it, click the edit button next to my printer, under configuration change the option to Reserved IP, pop in the ip and click save, and it comes back with the reported error, modem details are:

Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.6p12s1_PROD_sey

PeteyGee
I've been here awhile

Now i'm on XB7 so this might not apply but i was running into the "Failure! Please check your inputs." error message on the XB7 as well.  On the XB7, there is a comments box on the same page to set a reserved IP.   All i did was write something in the comments box and it actually saved the reserved IP.    after i did an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew i had my reserved IP on my PC.    Redid it again for my cellphone, turned phone wifi off and back on and it had the reserved IP there.

Hopefully XB6 also has a comment box and we've just been leaving it blank...

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
It does and it works. So it seems you must put something in the Comment field.

abcd567
I've been here awhile

ROUTER Model: CGM4140COM Rev 2.2 (XB6? I think)
Firmware: CGM4140COM_4.6p12s1_PROD_sey

I have same problem.

Last year I got this modem and could set Reserved IP, but since last couple of months, it fails to set ReservedIP, says "Failed. IP already assigned to another device" I have tried over a dozen different IP, but same result.
I tried "Reset Router to Factory Settings", but the problem stays.

Topic Stats