Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

The Rogers Community Forums has always played an important role in providing important feedback regarding our products and services. We are excited to offer our users an opportunity to participate in a trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACSMR, CGN3ACR and CGN3AMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). This program is exclusive to registered users of the Rogers Community Forums (space is limited).

The new firmware includes the following features and enhancements:

• IPv6 enabled by default
  • Security enhancements
  • Fix to preserve LAN connectivity in case of HFC outage or loss of signal
  • Addition of Wi-Fi Survey functionality
  • Improved stability of WPS function
  • Improved Wi-Fi performance
  • Various minor GUI changes and improvements

If you are interested in participating, please send a private message to @CommunityHelps with the subject line “Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial”.  A member of our team will be in contact with you and provide you with further instructions.

We’re keen to receive feedback on this new firmware. Once you've received the new firmware, please provide your feedback directly in the FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial thread. 

Questions regarding this program can be posted below.

***Please note - you must be a registered user of the Rogers Community Forums in order to participate.  To register, please follow these steps.***

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

625 REPLIES 625

Re: Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial

Blahblahbla123
I've been here awhile

Hi,

I really don't want to accept this term in order to gain access to the trial: "We may interrupt your Rogers Internet service without notice or liability as necessary for any purpose, including but not limited to installing, maintaining, inspecting, testing, repairing,  replacing or removing some or all of the firmware or the Rogers modem."

Is there any way to gain access to the trial firmware (which was suggested by tech support as a solution to a problem I am having since switching to Rogers) without authorizing at will service interruption?

@Blahblahbla123 wrote:

Hi,

I really don't want to accept this term in order to gain access to the trial: "We may interrupt your Rogers Internet service without notice or liability as necessary for any purpose, including but not limited to installing, maintaining, inspecting, testing, repairing,  replacing or removing some or all of the firmware or the Rogers modem."

Is there any way to gain access to the trial firmware (which was suggested by tech support as a solution to a problem I am having since switching to Rogers) without authorizing at will service interruption?

I don't see how that's possible - @RogersDave has deployed new firmware versions to the test group in the middle of the day, which would imply a service interruption while your modem restarts with the new firmware. I presume that's why they wrote that language in - they are not going to commit to only upgrading modems on the trial list at 2AM or whatever the normal maintenance window is.

Is this on the CGN3ACSMR or the CODA-4582? In the 4582's case, this is moot for now - there is no trial firmware right now - the .24 firmware has now been pushed to everybody. 

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

Hi @Blahblahbla123, in order to join the trial firmware you have to accept the terms, there's no other way unfortunately.

Regarding that portion of the terms, my service has only gone down whenever they send the newest trial firmware iteration for your modem. It is typically pushed around late-afternoon, or very early in the morning. 

May I ask, what is the problem that you're experiencing?

Blahblahbla123
I've been here awhile

Hey, thanks for the reply. The issue I'm having is that my chromecast isn't consistently discoverable. Immediately after switching to rogers it wasn't discoverable at all, tech support did resolve that (I don't remember exactly what they said they did) and suggested if I face further issues I may want to give the trial firmware a shot. Power cycle of the modem temporarily solves the problem, but it consistently comes back (maybe 30 minutes later, maybe a couple days later).

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

Sounds like  a familiar issue to me. Unfortunately, the only way to resolve this is by joining the firmware trial. The latest firmware in the trial restores Chromecast functionality. Let me advise you that the latest firmware trial revision also limits your upload speed to 20Mbps. If you're on 250u and below you should be fine. Other than that, you shouldn't be worried about having your Internet go down for whatever reason other than having the latest firwmare pushed to your modem. 

You can agree to the terms and conditions to get the latest firmware that will restore chromecast functionality, and you should have it within 7 days, after they have received all the required information. 

If you don't want to join the firmware trial you also have the choice to wait untill the end of March, but it doesn't sound ideal given the fact that you do want to use your Chromecast. Smiley Happy

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around
I now have the Coda modem. Things seem to be going going on 23. My pixel XL was stable on wifi. Since 24. Was loaded my pixel XL drops wifi severely. Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

@Blahblahbla123 

@Blahblahbla123 wrote:

Hey, thanks for the reply. The issue I'm having is that my chromecast isn't consistently discoverable. Immediately after switching to rogers it wasn't discoverable at all, tech support did resolve that (I don't remember exactly what they said they did) and suggested if I face further issues I may want to give the trial firmware a shot. Power cycle of the modem temporarily solves the problem, but it consistently comes back (maybe 30 minutes later, maybe a couple days later).

If you are on an Ignite 100u/250u/Gigabit Plan you should switch to the new White Hitron CODA 4582 Modem. It doesn't cost anything extra, just go into a Rogers store and swap your current modem. The new Modem works with Chromecast, and no need to join the Beta Program. The new modem is very stable now, and uses newer DOCSIS 3.1 technology which is the future of the Rogers Network, and what Rogers is tuning the network for.

@Hucklebury 

@Hucklebury wrote:
I now have the Coda modem. Things seem to be going going on 23. My pixel XL was stable on wifi. Since 24. Was loaded my pixel XL drops wifi severely. Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I would start with a factory reset, then set up the using these settings:

SIP ALG: Disabled

UPNP: Disabled

Security: WPA2 

Encryption: AES

WPS (Wifi Protected setup): Disabled

2.4Ghz Wifi width: 20mz

channel: auto

5Ghz Wifi width: 80mhz

channel: 149 or higher

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around
I have recently done a factory reset and most my settings matched your suggestion except UPNP. It is now disabled. Will try that.
Thanks

Blahblahbla123
I've been here awhile

Thanks so much! I will do this.

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

I have set my coda modem (24.) settings to your suggestion. I have a Pixel and Pixel XL in the house. Both devices keep dropping wifi. I would greatly appreciate some help on this.

thanks

@Hucklebury Just to confirm, with .23 firmware you had no issues, but now with .24 you get the WiFi dropping? I gave you some suggested settings, but have you tried using the same settings you used with .23? Also did anything on the phone get changed? You may need to send a Message to @RogersDave if it still doesn't work.

Mythen
I plan to stick around
I have the same situation. Only thing that has changed is IP v6 being enabled. My pixel XL was OK before that with the .24 firmware

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around
Nothing changed only the firmware on the Coda modem.

reading through this post it seems it seems like it's an ipv6 issue causing the phones to disconnect

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/WxdzyxXVqJU

I have no idea how to disable ipv6 on android, but I know that within the CODA there is No option to disable.

markopas
I plan to stick around

I wonder if 90% of the complaints would disappear if people used their own wireless routers in bridge mode Smiley Surprised

Have noted a couple of Codas with speed problems since the .24 firmware was pushed out. A factory reset immediately cured the problem but can't followup to see if it is a permanent fix.

nope i have done that already, we are getting tired of this !

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

Does anyone know what the Coda defult firewall settings are for IPv6?

same as ipv4: Minimum with ping from WAN on Deny.

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

Thanks,

For some reason my was set as: 

Custom,,,, Entire firewall ON

HTTP Deny

ICMP Allow 

P2P Deny

IDENT Deny

Ping from Wan Deny