Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial

@naztheeternal I had that modem before and the trick for me to open a port it to disable UPNP, set up port forwarding and reboot the modem. I would still use DHCP reservation. Also, don't use UPNP, port forwarding, port triggering, or DMZ all at once. Just use one of them and disable the rest.
I Plan to Stick Around

@jjdunn10Thanks, I'll have a go at that and let you know if it worked!

I Plan to Stick Around

@jjdunn10Well no luck with that, set up the port forwarding (3659~3659 on UDP/TCP for the correct LAN IP), turned UPNP off, DMZ off and DHCP reservation on.

Still getting the error from the servers I try to join "Check your network connection and make sure that port 3659 (UDP) is open."

I Plan to Stick Around

@naztheeternal since you have the cgn3-rog, why don't you try a cgn3-acsmr. I did have a few problems with port forwarding on the modem you had but the solution I gave normally worked for me. I would try the cgn3-acsmr as it is newer and I never had any problems with that model.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@naztheeternal

Are you sure you port forwarded it correctly to the LAN IP? It's common to have your LAN IP change every once in a while, which could be why it isn't opening the port for your device.

I'm assuming you did the command prompt method (ipconfig) to find your IPv4 address? 

One more thing, that port you're opening sounds really familiar to me- for what game are you opening this port for?

I Plan to Stick Around

@jjdunn10 How would I go about requesting a different router? I presume I'd have to go through Rogers Support and argue my case?

@RyzenFX Yep, looked up my IPv4 address and have set a DHCP reservation so this machine is always on that LAN IP. It a port for Battlefield 4, worked perfectly until one random moment in October, haven't been able to play since.

Asked in the BF4 reddit for support as well, all the things I've tried below:

1. Opened all UDP/TCP ports
  2. Repaired game
  3. Release/Renew IP
  4. Disabled Firewall
  5. Re-installed BF4
  6. Disable UPnP on Router
  7. Disable Anti-virus
  8. Disable router firewall
  9. Disable Windows Defender
  10. LAN IP DHCP reservation
  11. Updated router firmware
I'm a Reliable Contributor

It could just be an issue with the modem itself. What plan are you on? In order to upgrade to a CODA-4582 you must be on the Ignite 100u plan and above. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@RyzenFX I am indeed on the Rogers Ignite 100u

How would I go about sorting this out?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@naztheeternal all you have to do is swap the modem at the nearest Rogers store.  Be aware that with an unlimited plan you should be eligible for the new CODA-4582, but, also be aware that its a work in progress.  Firmware version 2.0.10.24 for that modem seems to be producing good results and there is a good chance that it will be distributed network wide later this week.  The CGN3ACSMR with V4.5.8.27 is stable but suffers from the Puma 6 / 6MG latency problem.  The 4582 does not have that problem, so, in terms of gaming, the 4582 should be a better choice.  

In both cases the modem suffer from UDP throughput issues.  This is important due to the use of UDP in gaming and in DNS lookups.  The 4582 does much better in the GRC DNS performance check despite the UDP throughput issue.  

So, a little confusing perhaps, but in both cases, Intel, Hitron and Rogers are working towards solutions to resolve latency for the CNG3xxx series modems and UDP losses for both modems.  My bet for now is with the 4582.  

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink Thanks for the great info, much appreciated.

I will attend my local Rogers store and get this swapped out, at which point I'll return with the results.