Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial

@lethalsniper, I missed your question regarding last week regarding a downgrade to Windows 7.   I'm not exactly sure what you will be able to do.  If you only have Windows 10 loaded, it might be possible.  If you now have Windows 10 Anniversary Update loaded, that might not be possible.  You would also have to check on Microsoft's policy on reloading back to Windows 7 after the laptop has been updated to Windows 10.  I suspect that it shouldn't be an issue, but don't quote me on that. 

If you look at your Windows File directory, on C drive, you might see a Windows.old directory, and possibly a Windows.old.old directory, which I would think is the original Windows 7 files.  What I don't know is what would happen if you chose to restore Windows.  Would it present a menu that shows Windows 7 and the original Windows 10 install?  That's something you would have to check for. 

In any event, if the Windows 10 AU has wiped out the old Windows 7 files, if you have the original licence for Windows 7, and Microsoft allows users to downgrade, you should be able to download a Windows 7 ISO onto a USB stick and reload Windows 7.  You might have to totally wipe out anything that is currently residing on C Drive first.  I'm not sure if Windows 7 will wipe everything including the backup partitions that exist with Windows 10.  If it doesn't, you would have to do that first by using something like Gparted, which is a bootable operating system that allows you to delete items off of the hard drive. 

http://gparted.org/

Having said all of that, if the laptop works well at your sisters home, I would first check the Wifi environment in your home with inSSIDer to determine if there are so many other modems and routers nearby that the 2.4 Ghz band is totally unusable.  If that's the case, then its time to move up to the 5 Ghz band and leave the traffic jam behind you. 

So, fwiw.......

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@masa17188, at the present time, V4.5.8.22 which was the previous test version is now the current network wide version for the CGN3ACSMR.  Further test versions are probably on hold pending further development by Hitron. 

Firmware versions can't be downloaded by the end users.  They have to be pushed out to the modem thru the CMTS.

What modem do you have, as indicated by the product sticker at the back of the modem?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jszentir, I think the answer at the present time might be to stay where you are, with your current modem.

The latency to the modem that you see now was resolved last year for the CGN3ACSMR.  It has not been resolved for the CGN3, CGN3ACR or CGN3AMR as far as I know. Now for the complications:

The firmware development from what I can see has been aimed at the CGN3ACSMR and CGNM-3552 gigabit modem.  The current network wide version for the CGN3ACSMR is V4.5.8.22.  That resolves a number of issues, the latest of which is a Chromecast problem.

The drawback to recent updates is:

1. The appearance of a hidden SSID beacon for a secondary 2.4 Ghz network which appears to drop the wifi performance of the users 2.4 Ghz network.  Removal of this beacon is on the "to do" list.

So, upgrading to a CGN3ACSMR would also come with an update to V4.5.8.22 shortly after it goes live on the network, dropping your 2.4 Ghz wifi performance.

The CGN3ACR and CGN3AMR can be loaded with 4.5.8.22 if requested, however, as far as I am aware, they, and the CGN3 are on their own update schedule.  You can choose to operate those with their current firmware versions as far as I know and avoid the problem of the hidden SSID 2.4 Ghz beacon.

One of the problems that was resolved for the CGN3ACSMR was dead LAN ports that occurred with the modem was connected to the Casa CMTS which has replaced the Cisco CMTS equipment.  I don't know if either the CGN3ACR or CGN3AMR suffered from that problem with its current firmware load. If not, then upgrading to either one of those might make some sense.  But, with respect to the latency to the modem, you wouldn't be any further ahead.

At the present time, the latency to the modem is the least of the worries with these modems.  The bigger problem is the latency thru the modem, which is much larger and which is common to all Puma 6/6MG modems. Rogers and Hitron are working pretty diligently to resolve this.  If you look at the top two to three rows of my image library you will see the high time pings back from the CMTS.  These were taken with the CGNM-3552 gigabit modem, but the other 24 channel modems aren't too far behind in terms of their latency. So, thats the current focus, to get rid of the latency thru the modem.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/829158

So, I hope that makes some sense. There are issues on the go which are being addressed.  Their not resolved just yet.  What I'm hoping to see over the next few short weeks is a resolution for the latency thru the modem.  Then that occurs, then it would make sense to upgrade to the CGNM3ACSMR as the latency to and thru the modem would be resolved and hopefully the hidden SSID beacon will be taken care of as well.

Fwiw, the latency to and thru the modem isn't a Rogers or Hitron problem.  Those are issues caused by the Puma 6/6MG chipset.  That chipset is used by other manufacturers to build modems and by ISPs in the form of the finished modem products.  We're talking about numerous ISPs across North America and Europe.  Rogers however is actively working to resolve these issues and very much ahead of the game, whereas other ISPs are still in the denial stage "Nothing wrong with our equipment, its all the customers fault."  Please keep that in mind.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

@Datalink
Thanks for the advice. I'll leave well enough alone until things improve with the rocket modems.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Would love to be able to get our Chromecast back up and running again!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

chromecast still doesnt work with .27 firmware version. would like to know why and when it will be fixed.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Mine was working just fine until suddenly one day... makes me wonder what Rogers did to cause the change

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Rogers did a widespread changeover to Casa CMTS in all areas.  I think its all changed over.

From what I recall, that's when the new firmware was required to be compatible with the new CMTS. 

They needed the new hardware to support gigabit services and the Gigabit routers.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for the explanation. To date, no one I have spoken to over the phone was able to provide me with a logical answer.

The question still remains as to if Rogers is actively aspiring to remidy the situation? It has been months.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JonesDad, what situation are you referring to?

Can you have a look at the back of the modem, specifically the product sticker and let us know what model of CGN3 you have.  It will one of CGN3, CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR, CGN3ACSMR, or even possibly the gigabit CGNM-3552. 

Can you also log into the modem and check the Software Version (Firmware) that is loaded on the modem.  Please post that as well.

As was indicated by @jszentir Rogers has changed the Cable Modem Termination Systems (CMTS) from Cisco equipment to Casa Systems equipment.  The modems connect thru a local tap to the CMTS.  This equipment change was made to support gigabit rates and other yet to be announced services I presume.  This has required some firmware changes in some of the modems as well.

Chromecast connectivity was rectified in V4.5.8.22 which is the current network wide version for the CGN3ACSMRs.  If you have a CGN3ACR or CGN3AMR, I don't recall seeing any issues with Chromecast devices, but that isn't to say that the same problems exist in those modems as was seen in the CGN3ACSMR.