cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding Problem with Ignite XB6 Modem

impr2003
I plan to stick around

Hello!
I got the new Ignite modem today. My previous one was Hitron from Rogers as well. I'm forwarding many ports (remote desktop to multiple computers, DistStation services). Unfortunately, I can't make it work using the new modem. The following error occurs while saving the port forwarding configuration:
"Please enter a value more than or equal to Start Port.".
My external port numbers (start port) larger than the end port numbers. For example, I'm forwarding port 5000 to 3386.  It  was working with all my old routers. However, if the end port value more more than start port, it doesn't forward the ports and remote desktop fails to connect. Please let me know if you experience the same problem or it's just me.

Thanks,

Michael

***Added Labels***

81 REPLIES 81

Re: Port Forwarding Problem with Ignite XB6 Modem

ComCastNorth
I've been here awhile

It seems to be dhcp based, so if its got a lease it should appear in the list.

I would also like to add my support to be allowed by our supreme overlords at rogers to create a port forward by typing an ip in.  This router/modem is garbage, I'd be a fibe user if it existed here, thanks to this modem. 

further: factory reset doesnt seem to work any more.  the ignite wifi app auto detected the modem restoring, and reset everythin exactly how it was.  

@ComCastNorth wrote:

further: factory reset doesnt seem to work any more.  the ignite wifi app auto detected the modem restoring, and reset everythin exactly how it was.  

@CommunityHelps  I have seen a few reports/complaints now where users have been unable to regain control of their XB6 once they start using the IgniteWiFi Hub app, even after they stop using it.  WHY?!?!?

(I understand that some tech-averse users might like their old config restored automagically after a modem swap but there are other cases where this is a REALLY bad thing to do.)

ComCastNorth
I've been here awhile

When people are done work I'll try again after uninstalling that app from my phone (good riddance imo), but my end game once I finish unpacking is bridge mode.  I just haven't found my edgerouter yet.  Why does rogers need to make everyone's life more difficult?  

there's a difference between good defaults, and just bad usability in software design.  I'm a programmer, whoever designed and approved this . needs to be fired.

My experience is that uninstalling the app does not solve the problem.

Here is how I made Port Forwarding work.

1) Set the device to DCHP and connect

2) using the direct XB6 interface, find the device, click edit, and set the "Reserve IP" checkbox. Write Down the IP address

(In my experience, the XB6 will NOT show devices with FIXED IP addresses)

3) Move to the https://ignitewifi.rogers.com interface on a web browser

4) Select Connect>See Network>Advanced Settings>Port Forwarding and set your port forward.

I  fully realize that this is clunky and may force you to change other application settings. However, this was the only consistent way in which I could set and maintain port forwarding.

Hope this helps!

This just happened to me today.  I only logged into the website because the message appeared in my modem.  I'm about to reset my modem and restores this functionality.  This is unacceptable,  the "Web Site"/"App" is security flaw, plain and simple.  You should never have to leave your network to make changes to your local networking device.  I should seriously hope this is undone, and to note that there is such a thing as a man in the middle of attack and "if" unless rogers can "100%" prevent this.   I'm not sure how this fly's with the CRTC and risking customer information regarding the access to their customers network and thus private information.

As an update, reseting the modem did not work.  Serious Rogers,  it was working just fine.  Why do you have to mess this up.

Rogers, this page does not look and its a simple issue as to why. @CommunityHelps please escalate to L3 support.

Looking into the developer tools, multiple issues with the javascript used to commit this request.

First and most significant is a call to the following resource which returns an error. You can see this yourself if you hit F12 in any browser which opens a side by side window within the browser.

Error:  "Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 ()"

Target: https://gw.api.dh.comcast.com/xfispeedtest/api/gateway/speed_test/model/CGM4140COM/precheck

If you try to visit this URI directly you get this error as the result

Request Result:

{"type":"","title":"No authentication token was passed","status":403,"detail":"No valid authentication token was passed.","source":"XSP","code":"C-4-014","traceId":"b8dbbeb506dbce80"}

This error fails the preflight check which returns the following error:

Request URL: 

https://siorc.xfinity.com/account/{{{REMOVED}}}/configset/9e0db4b1-59e0-4d05-87f2-80c82dcd8df2/group/portForwarding/create/?gatewayMacAddress={{{MAC REMOVED}}}&signature={{{SIGNATURE REMOVED}}}

Response:

_type: "Xfinity/Internet/si/error",…}
code: "500"
errnum: "500-020"
message: "Failed to write port forwarding rules because firmware is not supported: configSetId=9e0db4b1-59e0-4d05-87f2-80c82dcd8df2"
path: "./"
_links: {help: {href: "http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet"},…}
_type: "Xfinity/Internet/si/error"

This is a pretty easy fix, supply the correct API token in the first request....

@CommunityHelps @RogersDarrell  -  please escalate this to your technology team(s).

This is pretty basic development change that could restore this functionality to ALL customers.

Pass the correct API token in the request header.

This issue is still going on almost a year later.

Still can't forward static IP's through the ignitewifi website. Why can't they fix this? A customer should be able to make all the changes directly on the modem if he/she so chooses. Logging in to a website to put in the changes that are then pushed back down to the modem is ludicrous.

Rogers please fix this!!!!

jordancz
I've been around

Still broken... How can I not control my modem settings from my modem...

georgino_no1
I've been around

End of March 2021 and still one can't port forward using static IP or from outside port to inside port

This is basic feature of any $10 router and for many many years. Why we can't just manually enter IP remote port and local port?

George Nagy

Mattorontoo
I'm here a lot
I'm also ready to leave Rogers after 20+ years of subscribing to their highest possible internet service. How do they release a modern that can't port forward and then continue for years like that without fixing it?!? Icing on the cake, they stop people from being able to factory reset the modern too so now you can't even work around their unacceptable incompetence! Shame on you Rogers!!!

Yashrulz02
I've been here awhile

So i went to https://ignitewifi.rogers.com/ and i found port forwarding with helium-hotspot device. i need to chamge the parameters and they have different configuration. what i can see there is port number and range. I was trying to find start port and end port which is clearly not there. port forwarding is kind of hard in this configuration. does any body know how can i setup port forwarding for helium hotspot 44158 is the port. 

Hundalei
I've been here awhile

This is ridiculous that Rogers has still not fixed this.

BRadek
I've been here awhile

I have been with Bell for years and had zero issues with port forwarding then I switched to Ignite(better deal) and my entire local network is dead when connecting from outside. I have about 2 dozen port forwards for a multitude of services that I need for my business.

I've been an IT professional for 20 years and have never seen such a basic A++ IT 101 (aka port forwarding) being so broken. 

My last attempt at port forwarding was splurging on a $200 TP-Link router and bridging the mode, this gave me the ability to control port forwarding from within the router(which is the IT standard). All ports are blocked even with the modem dumbed down to a bridge.

Now I've come across several businesses that use Ignite Internet with port forwarding fully functional on the mode.

The only difference between their service and mine was that they had Rogers Ignite for Business.

Whether it's Comcast or Rogers I can't tell but port forwarding services are considered to be a business service by Rogers and like magic when you get their more expensive business service all port forwarding works as expected.

I have no choice but to go back to Bell because I will not pay more for the same service just because it says business internet on my bill.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BRadek wrote:

....I have about 2 dozen port forwards for a multitude of services that I need for my business.

...I will not pay more for the same service just because it says business internet on my bill.

Um...OK...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BRadek wrote:

I have been with Bell for years and had zero issues with port forwarding then I switched to Ignite(better deal) and my entire local network is dead when connecting from outside. I have about 2 dozen port forwards for a multitude of services that I need for my business.

I've been an IT professional for 20 years and have never seen such a basic A++ IT 101 (aka port forwarding) being so broken. 

Comcast made a conscious design choice to reduce the configurable options down to the absolute minimum.  It was designed to meet the needs of non-technical consumers.

My last attempt at port forwarding was splurging on a $200 TP-Link router and bridging the mode, this gave me the ability to control port forwarding from within the router(which is the IT standard). All ports are blocked even with the modem dumbed down to a bridge.

Now I've come across several businesses that use Ignite Internet with port forwarding fully functional on the mode.

The only difference between their service and mine was that they had Rogers Ignite for Business.

Whether it's Comcast or Rogers I can't tell but port forwarding services are considered to be a business service by Rogers and like magic when you get their more expensive business service all port forwarding works as expected.

There is no such thing as "Rogers Ignite for Business".  Rogers only uses the "Ignite" branding for their Residential services.  Rogers Business Internet uses a different modem/gateway, there is an SLA where they provide better response times in the even of an outage, and the service is sold and supported by a different team within Rogers.  That is why you pay a premium.  Bell offers similar services for their business customers.

Also, the Rogers Terms of Service forbid you from running any servers on the Ignite Internet service.

As for the blocked ports, Rogers may be blocking some ports (e.g. outbound SMTP, SMB/NetBIOS, etc.) for security purposes but nothing that should impede normal use.  What, specifically, is not working for you?

I have no choice but to go back to Bell because I will not pay more for the same service just because it says business internet on my bill.

Okay, best of luck to you.  Keep in mind that Bell also imposes restrictions on their residential Internet service as well -- probably different from Rogers -- but my point is that when a service provider makes a distinction between residential and business services, they are priced differently and the services are sold and delivered differently.

darkstar3333
I've been here awhile

Quite honestly your comments are borderline offensive, you downplay the fact that Rogers negligence in how they implement software is reducing the ability of its users to utilize the service they pay for.

@-G- wrote:

@BRadek wrote:

Comcast made a conscious design choice to reduce the configurable options down to the absolute minimum.  It was designed to meet the needs of non-technical consumers.

There is no such thing as "Rogers Ignite for Business".  Rogers only uses the "Ignite" branding for their Residential services.  Rogers Business Internet uses a different modem/gateway, there is an SLA where they provide better response times in the even of an outage, and the service is sold and supported by a different team within Rogers.  That is why you pay a premium.  Bell offers similar services for their business customers.

Also, the Rogers Terms of Service forbid you from running any servers on the Ignite Internet service.

As for the blocked ports, Rogers may be blocking some ports (e.g. outbound SMTP, SMB/NetBIOS, etc.) for security purposes but nothing that should impede normal use.  What, specifically, is not working for you?

Okay, best of luck to you.  Keep in mind that Bell also imposes restrictions on their residential Internet service as well -- probably different from Rogers -- but my point is that when a service provider makes a distinction between residential and business services, they are priced differently and the services are sold and delivered differently.

It wasn't a conscious decision to limit, if you scroll up you very clearly see the exception being thrown. The functionality exists, its simply not implemented correctly and missing a important element.

@darkstar3333 wrote:

It wasn't a conscious decision to limit, if you scroll up you very clearly see the exception being thrown. The functionality exists, its simply not implemented correctly and missing a important element.

The hardware in the Ignite gateways is very capable.  As for the software, I have actually been very vocal here about my dislike for its lack of configuration options and that you now need to use a mobile app to configure many functions.  The fact still remains that Comcast designed everything about the hardware and software that Rogers uses to power Ignite TV and Ignite Internet.  Rogers is just a customer that uses their technology, and Comcast pretty much disregards any and all complaints about their design choices, regardless of whether it comes from their customers, growing number of ex-customers, or licensees of their technology.

Topic Stats