cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding Problem with Ignite XB6 Modem

impr2003
I plan to stick around

Hello!
I got the new Ignite modem today. My previous one was Hitron from Rogers as well. I'm forwarding many ports (remote desktop to multiple computers, DistStation services). Unfortunately, I can't make it work using the new modem. The following error occurs while saving the port forwarding configuration:
"Please enter a value more than or equal to Start Port.".
My external port numbers (start port) larger than the end port numbers. For example, I'm forwarding port 5000 to 3386.  It  was working with all my old routers. However, if the end port value more more than start port, it doesn't forward the ports and remote desktop fails to connect. Please let me know if you experience the same problem or it's just me.

Thanks,

Michael

***Added Labels***

81 REPLIES 81

Re: Port Forwarding Problem with Ignite XB6 Modem

impr2003
I plan to stick around

Sorry... I’m sure you don’t understand the problem. The current software doesn’t allow to forward ports. Please read all previous posts.

I do understand the issue. Once you use the Ignite Wifi App you lose the option to port forward. To fix this delete the Ignite wifi app from your phone. If you so much as open the app you're back to square one. With the modem rebooted to factory access the modem via a web browser. type in 10.0.0.1. You'll have the name/password to get into the settings. Once you've entered them you have full access to port forward etc. Do not use the App again. Rogers is aware, they're just taking a bloody awful long time to A: admit there is a problem and B fix it.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For those of you having problems with port forwarding, do any of you have Protected Browsing or any of Rogers' other enhanced security features enabled?

I was going through the Xfinity forums and found this very recent post where a user discovered that having Xfinity's xFi Advanced Security features enabled was breaking port forwarding.

axelbest
I plan to stick around
So, the problem is the app, not the modem/router itself.

An app update is necessary in this case, because the other app functions are really nice. Sadly we have to choose.

impr2003
I plan to stick around

I've never used the app and your suggestion to dump it is irrelevant to me. I always connect to the router using the default IP address. I'll try to explain the problem one more time.

Here is a simple scenario. I've got two PCs at home and I need to access them using the Remote Desktop (default port 3389). I need to add the following two entries.

Port 7000 ---> Port 3389 ---> Local PC1

Port 7001 ---> Port 3389 ---> Local PC2

Problem #1. Here is the error:

Please enter a value more than or equal to Start Port.

I've never seen this kind of limitation with any router I had before.

Ok. Let’s change the port number

Port 2000 ---> Port 3389 ---> Local PC1

Port 2001 ---> Port 3389 ---> Local PC2

First entry is accepted and I’m able to connect to my first PC. The main problem with the second entry.

Problem #2. Here is the error:

Conflict with other Port Forwarding service. Please check port and IP!

It doesn't allow me to reuse the same port number and I'm not able to connect to the second PC. That's the main problem. I'm using a DiskStation and it requires even more than two entries with the same port number to use its multiple services.

The app has its own issues but the main problem is the router/software limitations or bugs.

axelbest
I plan to stick around
That's exactly the problem. I didn't test without the app.
Tonight I try to reset anything and see if anything change, but I doubt.

While I havent tried doing multiple of the same internal port like @impr2003.

I know prior to the app, that forwarding was working right off the modem.
I did have a few port forwards set up going to my server box.

I am pretty sure since the app came out, it was working at one point.
Pretty sure I put in the forward for my PS4 via it (as it has a preset, and didnt have to do it manually).

But definitely needs to be fixed.

sram99
I've been around

Hello,

I just had Rogers installed 1GB Ignite package, love it.

Quick question,  I have a CCTV system at home that was accessible prior to switching to Rogers. I cannot find any step by step that tells me how to setup Port Forwarding on this new modem, last I tried it told me I had invalid port number?

Would appreciate if anyone can help - much thanks

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you trying to set it up on the modem settings directly?

Which port are you trying to forward?

Sadly, it does not matter which port 

amor_gamao
I've been here awhile

I set up a Nextcloud server which is connected to another router that's connected to the Ignite router, and I can't access it now because port-forwarding stopped working.  In ignitewifi.rogers.com, the IP address of the TP-Link router is in 10.0.0.x, but it should be a static IP of 192.168.0.x.

Setting a "reserved IP address" doesn't work either because it will only let you do it within the range the DHCP.

Please fix this.

amor_gamao
I've been here awhile

What is Rogers thinking?!

Keep in mind, this is a Comcast system, not a Rogers system, although, no doubt there are changes to accommodate Rogers, and Shaw and any other ISP who signs up to use this system.  The drawback, Comcast is in control.  If another ISP makes a request, they might see the requested changes if its useful to Comcast, just speculating here.  So, even if Rogers forwards your request to Comcast, who knows if that request will ever see the light of day. 

9 months later, this issue is not resolved. Rogers should be ashamed of their service and support. For anyone but the most basic user, this is a problem. In this day and age, port forwarding is a very common NEED, not some nice-to-have feature. My term is up in June and I will be taking a hard look at my options. 25 year Rogers customer. 

Keep in mind, this is a licenced system from Comcast.  With that type of arrangement, there is always the danger and reality that bug fixes or possible enhancements requested by the licencees will be cast aside.  If Comcast found any use in bug fixes or enhancements, then they would probably occur.  If not, well, here you are, several months later.  That's the reality of not running your own show. 

Smiley1
I plan to stick around

Rogers Ignite Internet restore old Port Forward gui to interface provided by default gateway.

Hello!
I was wondering if it's possible to restore the option to configure port forwarding using the gui provided by the default gateway address. Right now it's only possible to be configured by using my Ignite profile. Although I am willing to do so, the new method of selecting a specific device has made port forwarding more difficult than convenient for me as the specific linux server I wish to port forward isn't recognized as a device on my ignite profile.
Thank you in advance for suggestions!

To be more clear, I would rather specify an IP address than to select a device.

Smiley1
I plan to stick around

I have tried both using the settings directly on the modem and by using both the ignite website and app. I wish to open port 25565/tcp for my local address 10.0.0.30. However because Ignite requires a user to select a device rather than a specific IP I am having issues with port forwarding. The device I want to use isn't shown in the Ignite menu despite showing up as connected in my modem settings.

@Smiley1 @-G- can probably confirm this.  When you use the app or online controls (there is an online control capability correct ?), you lose control over certain functions directly thru the modem.  If you run a factory reset and never use the app or online control, you should then have full access to all of the functions shown in the modem's UI.  That's probably the quickest way to resolve the problem.  Just have to be prepared to set the modem up from scratch. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

@Smiley1 @-G- can probably confirm this.  When you use the app or online controls (there is an online control capability correct ?), you lose control over certain functions directly thru the modem.  If you run a factory reset and never use the app or online control, you should then have full access to all of the functions shown in the modem's UI.  That's probably the quickest way to resolve the problem.  Just have to be prepared to set the modem up from scratch. 

Yes, that's my understanding as well.  A factory reset + redoing the initial setup will allow you to manage the XB6 again through the local web UI.  However, to maintain that configuration, you can no longer use the mobile app or the Ignite WiFi Hub... and that's not really an option for anybody who uses Ignite WiFi Pods.

Smiley1
I plan to stick around

Thank you so much for the suggestion. While it seems unfair that I have to go through that to restore settings (and I have a fear of the Pods no longer working once I do so) I could give it a try when convenient for the family. Thanks you.

Smiley1
I plan to stick around

After some thought, I think I'd rather get my Ignite profile to recognize my CentOS Server as a device rather than reset the whole router to factory settings. Could you tell me how Rogers Ignite identifies devices and how I could get it to recognize my server device? This would solve my issue.

Topic Stats