cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlayStation 5 eats up bandwidth

Dire
I plan to stick around

This has been happening for the past 2 weeks where my PS5 will hog 85 percent of the bandwidth. It’s not downloading anything, but when turned on my speed drops to less than 30 mbps causing the tv in the other room with the ignite box to stutter or just disconnect. I was told to go into the modem and find the Qos and turn that on, but the ignite modems don’t seem to have this available. Any thoughts and ideas from the community would be appreciated on this end as frankly this is a head scratcher.

*** Edited Labels ***

7 REPLIES 7

Re: PlayStation 5 eats up bandwidth

Dire
I plan to stick around
I forgot to say the ps5 is hard wired into the modem using a patch cable so it’s not wifi enabled.

Hello, @Dire.

Thank you for being our Community member; I appreciate you posting your PS5 bandwidth usage-related concern here.

I applaud that you figure out the root cause of your network's bandwidth degradation. The QoS feature is not a supported feature on our gateway modems. A quick search for a similar issue suggests some other PS users experience bandwidth usage problems. When did you first notice the issue?

Have you tried resetting your PS5? Not sure if it would help, but you can also try resetting the modem.

If resetting fails, please connect with PS support.

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Dire
I plan to stick around
Thanks for the reply
Update: still suffering from the same problem. I’ve reset the ps5, unplugged it, plugged it into a different wall socket. I’ve cycled the modem/router multiple times I’ve also changed out the patch cable and that didn’t work either.

I got a hold of Sony and they simply shrugged. I received a canned response telling me things I already have tried. They also said to reach out to my isp to fix the issue.

Dire
I plan to stick around
Further update: I’ve been running several speed tests today. When the ps 5 is on something called download jitter spikes incredibly high. But when the ps5 is off the jitter drops dramatically. Can anyone tell me what jitter is and could it be the reason for the ps5 hogging the bandwidth. Thanks for any help.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Fwiw, there are other complaints about the PS5 being a bandwidth hog, but, no definitive suggestions as to how to fix it.  

Have a look at the following page about jitter.

https://www.pcwdld.com/network-jitter

In a perfect world, every data packet would arrive on time, every milli-second, every 5 ms, 10 ms, whatever the timeframe is.  In that event, where each packet arrives on time, there is no jitter.  Jitter arises out of packets arriving at different times after the last received packet.  Its a measure of the inconsistency of the time between received packets.  The higher that jitter time is, the worse is the inconsistent timing between packets.  Ideally there would be no inconsistency in the timing, each packet would arrive on time.  

The solution might be to use a router with QOS, or bandwidth control or a managed switch which would allow you to limit the bandwidth for devices on your network.  Keep in mind, that QOS or bandwidth control comes with a price, in terms of latency, as the router or managed switch processor has to examine each packet to determine which packet has priority.  So, that can introduce latency, and in some cases limit the throughput as the processor might not have enough horsepower to run at gigabit or above data rates and still use QOS or any other bandwidth limits. 

I'd be more interested in what causes the PS5 to be a bandwidth hog.  But, its all relative.  What's your plan data rates in download/upload?

Dire
I plan to stick around
Thank you for the information it’s appreciated on this end.

Dire
I plan to stick around
My download is 150 mbps and my upload is 30mbps though I’ve noticed from my speed tests that my download will jump into the 300 mbps range for awhile before slowly climbing down.

Update: after having a long talk with some people, I’ve been told to try changing the wifi channel band on the modem/router. I use to do this on my older routers but I’m not sure if it’s possible on the ignite modem/router.
Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation