cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network setup using both XB6 dual ports?

vincez28
I've been here awhile

Hello, I'm trying to get both ports on the back of the Arris XB6 to see each other over network? Is this even possible??? I would like to be able to access my movie collection from the DS415 from port 2 over to my Nvidia shield or Mede8er 800X3D box. I haven't been able to do so as of yet. Port 1 has 10.0....... IP where as Port 2 has 192.168.......... from Asus Router

Any help would be much appreciated 

Thanks

This is my setup right now

Rogers

I

Rogers Ignite Modem(Arris XB6)

I
PORT#1 Gigabit Switch                PORT#2 Asus Router

I                                                                 I                        

Security                                           PC-------Gigabit Switch-------Synology DS415+

Nvidia Shield                                                               I

Mede8er 800X3D                                  Firetv1---Firetv 2---Firetv3

*** Edited Labels ***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Network setup using both XB6 dual ports?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@vincez28 I'm assuming that the modem is in Gateway mode, but, just to be sure:

are you running the Asus router in router mode? 

and, is the XB6 modem running in Gateway mode?

If both responses are "yes" then you need to run the Asus router in Access point mode.  That will disable the firewall and DHCP server.  You can also disable those yourself or set the router into Access Point mode.  When that is done, reboot the router.  After the reboot, the router will depend on the modem for firewall protection and for DHCP services, which provides the LAN IP addresses to connected devices. 

You should have full access across the network after the reboot.

As you indicated in your network layout, the Asus router, running in full router mode will have its own firewall and DHCP server running.  As a result, you won't have any visibility from the Port 1 device, into any of the Port 2 devices.  The Asus firewall will prevent that.  The different IP numbers on the Asus network are due to the DHCP server running on the router 

vincez28
I've been here awhile

Hey Datalink, Asus Router is in fact in router mode and xb6 is in gateway mode. Would there be any other things to configure after switching over to Access Point Mode? ie things that were already connected down the line on the router side?

Thanks,

Vince

@vincez28 thats an interesting question. 

For the Asus router, you might find that various services don't work in exactly the same way.  I'm thinking of something like parental control or filtering of any type.  I honestly don't know if there is any difference in the behavior of various functions of the router when its in Access Point mode versus its original Router mode.  So, keep this in mind and look for any anomalies in router behavior. 

When you turn off the IPV4 and IPV6 router firewall and DHCP server or switch the router to Access Point mode, for the downstream devices, if you didn't have IPV6 running previously, you will now.  Previous to this, IPV6 behavior, with the router in Router mode would have been unpredictable with cascading devices such as a modem and follow on router in Router mode, each assigning their own IPV6 addresses. 

Now with the modem running the network with its DHCP server, I'd expect to see all devices connected to the router, assigned IPV6 addresses by the modem.  Once again, this is an interesting question.  The router does have its own IPV6 capability which is enabled on a separate tab, so, is there any difference in IPV6 address designation for connected devices when you take the case of:

1.  the router in Router mode with the firewall and DHCP server disabled and IPV6 disabled, versus:

2.  the router in Access Point mode which should do the same.  I don't have an answer to that, so, be aware that there might be a difference after all.  That is something you will have to check.  

If you have a pc or laptop connected to the router, with the router in Router mode, bring up a command prompt and enter:

ipconfig/all

Take note of the IPV6 address of that pc or desktop.  It should be something like fe80:.........   That's a default IPV6 address when the device doesn't have one assigned.   

When you turn off the router firewall and DHCP server, or, set the router into Access Point mode and reboot the router and test pc or laptop, run the same ipconfig/all command.  I would expect you to see three (?) IPV6 addresses.  Windows uses a temporary IPV6 address for external communications, so there's at least one temporary IPV6 address, maybe two, and the real IPV6 device address from what I remember.  The presence of any IPV6 address, other than the default address will indicate what the router allows for the mode that its running in. 

You can also use ipv6-test.com to check for IPV6 capability. 

When you do change the router operating mode, you might have to reboot any devices that are connected to the router.  They should be assigned a new address by the modem, but, sometimes the devices don't pick up the new address if they've been running while the modem or router has been rebooted / restarted.

Finally and perhaps most importantly, with devices now assigned an IPV6 address, IPV6 will be the primary addressing scheme that is used for internet access,  You can see issues crop up from time to time.  Access to Whatsapp, Instagram, Google services and some others can become a problem when there's an IPV6 problem at the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS), which the modem connects to thru the neighbourhood node. You would know pretty quickly that there's an issue.  This seems to be more of an issue with Android devices for some reason.  They are supposed to fall over to an IPV4 address system when there is an issue with IPV6.  For some reason they just hang, instead of switching over to IPV4 and just getting on with the job.  So, keep an eye open for quirks that you haven't seen before when you were running IPV4. 

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

Just get a router that supports VLANS

Even with VLANs, you still have the problem where the XB6 wants to be the king of the castle.  Personal opinion, the better solution is probably to run the XB6 in Bridge mode and use your own router, whatever that happens to be.

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

Yep exactly use one router with vlans if you want to segregate devices

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation