cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Reboots Daily at the Same Time

DavidHH
I plan to stick around

I have a very weird problem and am looking for any feedback.

At 3:25 pm everyday my Rogers Modem “Reboots”. After the reboot everything comes back up normally.  I have tried all the usual fixes, e.g. rebooting the Ignite TV box, Power rebooting the modem and nothing seems to correct the problem. I have watched the whole process and the TV Screen has a message box saying there is no Internet Connection and then the Modem’s White Light starts to blink and then it turns orange and blinks. After this Modem comes back on line and the White Light comes back on and remains on steady. There are no further issues until 3:25 pm next day. It is so strange.

I have a Technicolor Modem (Mode lCGM4140COM) and a Rogers Supplied Eero Router and an Eero Access Point. Everything is stock I.e. nothing additional added, nor have the Factory Configurations altered.

Any ideas?

*Edited Labels*

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Modem Reboots Daily at the Same Time

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DavidHH   When your gateway resets again, could you please log into your XB6, go to "Gateway > Connection > Rogers Network", and check the System Uptime?  Did it actually just reboot or has it been up for a while?

If the modem didn't reboot but the Internet connection dropped, that would suggest that some anomaly on the Rogers network triggered a reset.  If it occurs at PRECISELY the same time every day, then that would suggest some kind of automated event triggered the reset.  Do you know if any of your neighbours have been affected as well?

I have seen all sorts of things that caused weird issues (equipment resets, server crashes and Wi-Fi problems, etc.) like clockwork every day: an apparent daily equipment test at a Canadian Forces base that produced a huge RF spike that kept taking down a server; a neighbour taking out Wi-Fi when they put their baby to sleep and turn on their wireless baby monitor.  Maybe a neighbour of yours gets home at that time and turns on a problematic piece of equipment.  (Perhaps something like this?)

DavidHH
I plan to stick around
G how do I log into my XB6 Gateway. I have never had a problem before and have not done this?]

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DavidHH wrote:
G how do I log into my XB6 Gateway. I have never had a problem before and have not done this?]

Go to http://10.0.0.1 and log in as admin.  The default password is "password".  Some installers change that to the Wi-Fi password.

DavidHH
I plan to stick around
G, I tried that and the message box says that is not the password?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DavidHH wrote:
G, I tried that and the message box says that is not the password?

I'll tag @Gdkitty and @CommunityHelps  to see if they can think of any other password that a Rogers installer may have set.  Otherwise, as far as I know, the only way to reset the admin password is to factory reset the XB6 and redo the basic setup.

As for those daily resets, you can also ask Rogers whether they can see what may have caused it, or if they can see whether any other customers in your area also experienced a reset/reconnect at that time as well.

Mike_x_Wilk
I plan to stick around

I am having the same issue, except mine reboots at precisely 3:23pm each day. Rogers online support could see no issue with the modem and raised it with maintenance. They sent me an asinine text message they could not see my Ignite TV box.

I should add that tech support did not show the modem as rebooting and that uptime was for more than 18 days yet in each of the last 6 days it has "rebooted", or otherwise briefly lost connection, at this exact time. No other issues.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
This definitely sounds like a network issue of some sort that happens daily at that time.

DavidHH
I plan to stick around

Thank you Mike for your comments. It is very curious that you are having the same issue so very close to the same time of day as me.

Mike_x_Wilk
I plan to stick around

What area do you live? I am near Manotick, Ottawa.

@Mike_x_Wilk wrote:

What area do you live? I am near Manotick, Ottawa.

Interesting.  I keep hearing murmurs about problems over there being caused by Police/Emergency Services' VHF radio system.  3:25PM might coincide with something getting reset as part of a shift change.

Mike_x_Wilk
I plan to stick around

Except in 2 years the only time this has occurred is in the last week.

@Mike_x_Wilk wrote:

Except in 2 years the only time this has occurred is in the last week.

I would call into Rogers tech support at 3:!5 and hope that you can be on the phone with an agent when this happens again.

Mike_x_Wilk
I plan to stick around

I just got off from chatting with them. They would not even discuss this post or the fact there are at least two of us with the same issue. They insist they do not see an issue and the problem must be with my modem. They are sending a tech to replace it tomorrow. I will update after that is complete and the next 3:23pm time hits on Saturday.

DavidHH
I plan to stick around

Thank you Mike, I would appreciate an update after the Modem replacement.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Hi guys. This sounds eerily similar to an issue I was having for months except mine occurred monthly, not daily. In my case, it ended up being a misconfiguration of the power supply on the fibre node that my house (and all other houses on my street) are connected to.

Each month, the UPS of the node would go into self-testing mode (a normal automated maintenance procedure) except it would never cut over to battery power properly because of the misconfiguration (and thus lose power altogether), and so I would lose service for exactly 10 mins (the precise duration of the self-test) each time the monthly self-test ran. It took the maintenance crew some time to figure it out but they adjusted the power level of the UPS to spec, manually tested it, and I haven’t had the issue again since. I’m still monitoring but I’m fairly confident the issue has been fixed.

So I guess what I’m saying is, your issues could be due to a similar misconfiguration of something on the local Rogers network. My advice is to ask Rogers if other customers on your street experience loss of sync at the same time you do, and if so, ask them to give you the phone number of the maintenance crew technician designated to your area. That’s what they did for me so that I was able to call him directly as soon as I experienced the problem. He was then able to run his diagnostics right away, which helped him pinpoint root cause.

Mike_x_Wilk
I plan to stick around

The tech was out on Saturday. The tech could see multiple disconnects at various times over the course of the previous week, but no explanation for it was evident to the tech. I made it clear I do not experience any issues with the internet despite being a power user except for this modem reboot issue that occurs only at 3:23 PM. Instead of replacing the modem there was some work outside on the line done. Apparently the signal to noise ratio improved after this. However, the reboot continues to occur at exactly 3:23 PM every day since.

The tech game me his work cell number and I have a call in to see about next steps. I will update again if there is resolution at some point.

DaveRobbins100
I've been here awhile

Two months ago I subscribed to Ignite internet 1 gig and Ignite tv and until a few days ago they worked great. However over the last few days the speed has reduced to readings like 15 mps and 25  mps with momentary outages such that tv picture disappears for a short interval. (based on speeds as measured on my iPad Pro 2020 using Speedtest 6 feet from the modem) When things are working speed varies between 150 mps and 600 mps which is fine by me. There only 2 of us in the household so there are not many devices connected. After the frequent reboots speed goes right back to 600 mps for a while. Rogers Bot service line is not useful. When in my explanation I mentioned I used an iPad to measure speed there solution was Rogers had a deal on iPads. Any suggestions as to my problem?

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

You posted this in a thread about outrages at the same time of day.  Your post should be a new thread so that people look at it.  

to your issue, I never trust peed tests over wifi, always with a cable first to a computer.  If the speed test there is as should be but the wifi test is not, then you have something to work with (wifi issue, interference, etc).    

I know this post is over 2 years old, but I am always experiencing this daily restart.

Hi @Debosimtastic,

Thank you for joining the conversation! That can be quite bothersome if your modem is resetting every day, causing you to lose connection to your devices. Since this thread is quite old and there have not been any further reports of the issue, if youcan,n please let us know some more details so that we can assist you further.

Are you noticing the modem reset at the same time every day?

Is this issue happening multiple times throughout the day?

If this is a new problem that just recently started, have you made any changes to the connection or setup in the home?

We look forward to your reply!

RogersJermaine

Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 8 in conversation