Ipv4 not working

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ipv4 not working

1- software is 4.5.8.22
2 - there is two ip addresses just like your example
3 - CGN3ACSMR

When I run ipconfig I have a ipv4 address and default gateway
How do I run an IPV4 trace to google?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Bring up a command prompt.  Navigate to START .... PROGRAMS .... WINDOWS SYSTEM .... COMMAND PROMPT

thats on Windows 10.

Type in:  tracert -4 www.google.com

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

tracert -4 www.google.com

Tracing route to www.google.com [172.217.2.132]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1      <1 ms   <1 ms   <1 ms   10.0.0.1
2   100 ms      9 ms    13 ms   99.239.32.1
3     20 ms     10 ms   11 ms   67.231.221.73
4     18 ms     15 ms   26 ms   van58-9-231-73.dynamic.rogerstelecom.net [209.148.231.73]
5     37 ms   107 ms   22 ms   van58-9-229-225.dynamic.rogerstelecom.net [209.148.229.225]
6     19 ms     24 ms   19 ms   209.148.230.14
7   * * * Request timed out.
8     21 ms    22 ms    18 ms   209.85.242.13
9     36 ms    23 ms    30 ms   209.85.250.7
10   21 ms   19 ms    17 ms   yyz08s14-in-f132.1e100.net [172.217.2.132]

Trace complete.

In this case, there is one server that isn't responding, but, the trace completes all the way to google.  So, in your specific case, the question is, does the trace stop at some point and just timeout all the way to the end of 30 hops.  If so, where, as that is the last server that is returning any data, and that server most likely has a configuration issue.  That could be the CMTS itself. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks... so this is what I got
1 10 ms <1 ms 1ms
2 request timed out.
3 request timed out.
4 request timed out.
All of them other then 1 says "request timed out." So from 2 -30
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, so did the first line have the modem IP address in it:  1 10 ms <1 ms 1ms (192.168.0.1 or Hitron Home Hub?)

Assuming that the modem is running in Gateway mode?  

From the looks of it, the CMTS itself is not allowing the trace data to return to the originating modem.  Thats is most likely a configuration error.  

Can you run an IPV6 trace and then pm the results to me.  @RogersDave will need that to check the CMTS configuration.  

tracert -6 ipv6.google.com

to copy the trace results, right click on the command box title bar at the top.  Select .... Edit .... Select All.  Then right click again and select Edit .... Copy.  Then click on my name to bring up my public page.  On the right hand side is a link titled "Send this user a private message".  Hit that link to bring up the message composition page.  It will already be addressed to me.  Paste in the data from the command box.  Stick a title on it and send it to me.  

With the IPV6 data Dave can drill down to the CMTS in question and check the configuration.  I'll forward that to him in the morning.  

Fwiw, I've seen this same issue on the IPV6 side.  Just a matter of cleaning up the configuration.

Edit;  do you see an address resolution at the top of the trace, that equates the www.google.com with a numerical IP address?  It would look like this:

Tracing route to www.google.com [172.217.2.132]

You might have a different IP address showing as I use OpenDNS instead of the Rogers DNS.

Its important to know that as well as it indicates that the IPV4 address is being resolved, but the CMTS is being a pain, or, that the address is not being resolved, which is most likely still a CMTS issue, just a slightly different shade, so to speak. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes the 1st line did have that in It also also I'm useing a cell phone to msg you because I can't get to this page on my home pc
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

ok, can you take a look at my edited remarks above concerning the address resolution.

If you're doing this on a cell phone, I only need the top two lines from the trace.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Sent u a pm
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, got it.   Please have a look for the response.   Just a couple of questions:

Is that copied from the pc, or is your phone running on wifi so that the trace would be the same?

At the top of the IPV4 trace, is there an address resolution, that equates www.google.com with a numerical IP address?  I'm assuming that since the trace runs, that it must have a resolved address.

Highlighted
Retired Support
Retired Support

@Deej10 wrote:
Sent u a pm

Deej10,

I can have a look at your modem to determine if there is a network issue. Would you be able to send me a private message with your modem MAC (printed behind the modem) so that I can investigate further?

Dave

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersDave and @Deej10, the top portion of an IPV6 trace has been sent to @RogersDave.  Hopefully that will be enough to have a look at the modem and CMTS.